Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by Sopwith View Post
The announcement for the 10 inch Samsung galaxy Tab was stupid -- how is this gonna help them sell the 7 inch one? They should have maintained that 7 inch is the perfect form factor, instead of distracting potential buyers.

Still waiting for a pricing info in the US. With the prices we've read about so far, it seems they don't actually want to sell much of these things... I hope they have opened a really big production line and after the market flop give them away for $300
Well, it's not an announcement, just a slip of the tongue (or careful PR plant) regarding the 10" Tab. Considering the momentum that Sammy has garnered for the still-unreleased 7" Tab, I'd say that their marketing has been spot on.

I'm waiting for the pricing too! However, I hope that they do well out of the gate. I'm really looking forward to taking this thing into meetings and getting some work done with it. I'm also itching to ditch my N810 whose battery is now failing.

It's a shame that the Tab doesn't have an Active Digitizer type input. However, I wonder if this capability can be added on as a peripheral device?

Take a look at Logipen:
http://www.logipen.com/lp/logipen_lp...FVjW5wodE2Y-FA

This device can be used in tablet mode as well as storing notes and later transcribing them. While I realize this device isn't well suited for the Tab, the technology may be sound enough to augment the Tab's (or any tablet for that matter) feature set to include pen input.

Woah! This device claims to do 'realtime' writing on mobiles:
http://www.yifangdigital.com/product/MobilePen.aspx

I'll have to look into it further.

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
I was waiting on the Tab, but went ahead and ordered the Archos 101 for $333 delivered from J&R Electronics.

1. 10" 1024X600 capacitive display
2. Froyo with Flash 10.1
3. 1ghz 3640 arm 8
4. 16gb built-in
5. microsd for more space
6. USB with FULL host function (reads thumb drives, powers external USB drives and game controllers work- if needed)
7. Full market for previous Archos Android device was easy to mod, so expected same for this line too.
8. At least $500 less than the Tab (total cost).

I already have an Android phone with "decent" size display (Incredible), so this will do great for book, comic and web browsing. Also, the game emulators will play better with a controller And I can USB tether using the Incredible.

Frankly, main issue is this device is $500 LESS than the Tab and the 8gb 7" version is $550 less (but has 800X480) display. Heck, I could buy the 10" and 7" together and still save over $300 to one Tab.

Why pay almost $1,000 for a device that will be old hat within a year anyways?

Last edited by Rushmore; 2010-09-23 at 16:11. Reason: Archos 7" is 800X480

The Following User Says Thank You to Rushmore For This Useful Post:
I really fear for the tab at the prices that are being quoted. Do Samsung what to sell any of these things at all?

Posts: 80 | Thanked: 100 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ England
You would have thought that they would have announced the price by now. I'm hoping for £500-£600, which I think would be fair.

Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
I was waiting on the Tab, but went ahead and ordered the Archos 101 for $333 delivered from J&R Electronics.

2. Froyo with Flash 10.1
3. 1ghz 3640 arm 8
4. 16gb built-in
6. USB with FULL host function (reads thumb drives, powers external USB drives and game controllers work- if needed)
7. Full market for previous Archos Android device was easy to mod, so expected same for this line too.

I already have an Android phone with "decent" size display (Incredible), so this will do great for book, comic and web browsing. Also, the game emulators will play better with a controller And I can USB tether using the Incredible.

Frankly, main issue is this device is $500 LESS than the Tab and the 8gb 7" version is $550 less (but has 800X480) display. Heck, I could buy the 10" and 7" together and still save over $300 to one Tab.

Does it really have access to the FULL market (compared to say NITDroid). Will it be receiving Gingerbread (3.0?) and how are the DLNA and HDMI capabilities?

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post

2. Froyo with Flash 10.1
3. 1ghz 3640 arm 8
4. 16gb built-in

We don't know the price of the US Tab just yet. The problem with Engadget 'reporting' is that they make it seem as though the Tab will be $999 at launch, which may not be the case. Of course it may be, but we have to wait and see.

Let us know how you enjoy the Archos 101!

Originally Posted by noal View Post
You would have thought that they would have announced the price by now. I'm hoping for £500-£600, which I think would be fair.
Amazon UK has the tab listed for £599:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Gala...5266543&sr=8-2

It doesn't seem that expensive for a UK product, but it would be far too expensive for the North American audience.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
It's available in my town. I think I might go and buy one tomorrow.
Please stop me. Tell me I am a fool throwing my cash out of the window for that gizmo with a closed os and no hardware keyboard. STOP ME!!!!..... Aaaargh!
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy