Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
The N800 USB host mode thread has been going on far too long now and has become quite lengthy in both it's breadth and content, so I'm going to start a new thread for this that kind of picks up where we left off there.

Here's the scenario: If you're running OS 2008, the N800 can automatically switch between host mode and client mode with a specially modified cable/adapter. Although there are many handy people on the forums here, I know there has been an expressed desire by some of the less "soldering iron hands on" looking for a pre-made solution, so here's my proposal:

I'm prepared to offer "professionally modified" USB adapters and cables for use with the N800 OTG. At this point I'm starting with just a simple Mini B (plugs into the N800) to Female A (regular USB devices plug into it) adapter that's about 2 inches long, and when connected with automatically put the N800 into host mode... no software hacks or special scripts required.

These adapters have been replaced by the new custom-manufacturerd version; see this thread for details: http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=23633

The Adapters are now available here
If you want to resell them in your local area there's also a reseller's pack of 25 available:
http://www.electronicproductonline.c...oducts_id=1793

Shipping costs are:
International (Air) is flat $11.00
US Standard Mail (Air) is flat $9.00
Canada Standard is flat $4.00

Note that the US Mail price has changed; this is because all shipments are now Air Mail instead of ground due to the number of complaints regarding the delivery time of ground shipments.

The attached picture gives you an idea of what the adapters look like. You can find more information about possible uses/what works and what's being tested on the Wiki Page
[/B]

The modded adapter is available for $6 + shipping:
http://www.electronicproductonline.c...oducts_id=1781

These can also be used in combination with the short Micro-Mini USB converter cables to allow OTG functionality on the N810:
http://www.electronicproductonline.c...oducts_id=2004

In addition I've got a slew of other interesting tablet related accessories also available:
http://www.electronicproductonline.c...hp?cPath=35_67

And if there's anything else that you're looking for or you think others might be interested in let me know and I'll do my best to get a hold of 'em!

I'm getting the first batch of adapters in early next week, so I'll post back the link here, but in the meantime I'm looking for feedback: who's interested?

There has also been some interest expressed for an actual "dongle" type of cable with a similar sort of function. Here's my question:

How many people would be interested in purchasing the modified adapter, and how much interest is there in a "dongle" type of cable for the same purpose?

-Rob
Attached Images

Last edited by jolouis; 2008-09-16 at 14:57.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jolouis For This Useful Post:
Hmm so if I'm understanding this correctly, you'd be able to plug in things like flash drives? Or would that not work because it still wouldn't receive power? I'm interested though I'd have to find out more (off I go to read that thread!)

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 282 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Penniless Park, Fla.
- sounds like a good idea... haven't seen a mini->female plug on-line (some folks have posted a link to a Moto cable off amazon, but i can't remember the nature of the adapter end...

- i just ordered a few female<->female adapters from cyberguys, but this is only for convenience in putting a female end on a 'normal' shorty (10") mini->male cable i use (they come with the old Sansa M2xx mp3 players)...

- it's a bit of a hassle to click a menu item in order to set host mode, so i'd like one of your cables... but alas, i don't do PayPal, so i guess i'm SOL...

:-(

The Following User Says Thank You to linux_author For This Useful Post:
Posts: 19 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Baltimore, MD
I'd be in.

Sure you'll get many takers and I am glad! If i had the time and inclination I'd make the same offer. Just for the community relations and the pocket change too.
I'll be getting a silver pen and also writing up the script. (on an OS08 upgrade theme: the USB icon, good place to have a switch to host and back again). doing both just to get my hands and mind into this project. Thanks.

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
Just a clarification on the adapter/usage:

- N800 will supply power for USB devices up to 100mA (I believe that's it, I did see it somewhere in the posts but it might be a little higher than that). This means most USB thumb drives, keyboards, etc will work, but don't expect to try and charge your iPod off of it or something. (Attaching a device that draws more power than that will simply cause the N800 to turn off power supply for USB, won't damage the tablet)

- Adapter when plugged in will automatically put Tablet into host mode, allowing you to connect other devices and have them "just work" (if they're supported). Currently to my knowledge most thumb drives, digital cameras, etc work. HID devices such as keyboards/etc are also supported natively. Check the original thread for more details on devices.

- I've got an E-commerce site that I'm going to be offering the adapters through, so paypal not required, just a credit card.

This is what the adapter looks like:

-Rob

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jolouis For This Useful Post:
Count me in then.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

I'm in. You take Google Checkout? That's my preferred payment form... though I do have other ways of paying if necessary.

Posts: 282 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Penniless Park, Fla.
- i've subscribed to this thread... it would be nice to post updates here...

- the dongles look great!

(dunno why they're not available universally)

The Following User Says Thank You to linux_author For This Useful Post:
Hey this is awesome, count me in. I have a gazillion flash drives lying around the house and they're cheap.

Oh and buy.com is selling 2gb kingston flash drives for $0.95.
Heres the link: http://www.buy.com/prod/kingston-2gb...204737104.html
O and I would prefer google checkout too. It's waaaay easier.