Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Thanks, acrux, after nearly a year and a half, you have single-handedly made my X usable!
Hehee, that is one of the hard-to-master, very essential skills; how to ask the useful questions!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
I have a paid Sailfish license. The keyboard came without a dictionary.
dunno if the below is your problem, but it seems like it MIGHT be, if predictive text really isnt in your store:

you need to buy 1 license per device. if you use it on one device, and lose it and replace with a new device with a new IMEI, you need to contact jolla and ask them to clear the old IMEI from you license key.

both predictive text and aliendalvik will be missing from the store UNLESS you are logged in on a jolla account that has a license key that matches your current IMEI.

you can also just find+install the rpm without purchasing a license, if you enjoy stealing from the best android competitor that currently exists. (i did this, when i switched from X to Xcompact, so that i didnt have to bother asking them to remove my IMEI. i downloaded it on the old phone, copied it to the new, then reflashed android and sold the old phone)

The Following User Says Thank You to wolke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Hehee, that is one of the hard-to-master, very essential skills; how to ask the useful questions!
I know. I just did not care enough, since I did not use the phone that much
I just considered it one of those things, like the audio is too quiet in vide recordings that everyone tells me is a known bug that no one cares to fix.

@wolke, Predictive Text was available for my X. I just did not know I needed it. I is not in Store when I visit it from my Jolla 1, but then it is not needed, since on that phone the keyboard has a dictionary. Curioser and curioser.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
A new battery is on order, ETA Thursday.
Battery arrived ahead of schedule. It looks about 1 mm shorter than the original but fits perfectly. Removing the old one was a bummer, as it was stuck with a double-sided sticky tape, but... the operation was successful, the patient is alive! I am typing this on my fixed Xperia X with a keyboard with a dictionary. What more can an old geezer want?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Battery arrived ahead of schedule. It looks about 1 mm shorter than the original but fits perfectly. Removing the old one was a bummer, as it was stuck with a double-sided sticky tape, but... the operation was successful, the patient is alive! I am typing this on my fixed Xperia X with a keyboard with a dictionary. What more can an old geezer want?
Nice!

I'm glad your device did not bend or otherwice get damaged when the old battery ballooned up. Did you manage to get it back together to as fit a form it was originally or are there any cracks in the seams of the back cover?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Did you manage to get it back together to as fit a form it was originally or are there any cracks in the seams of the back cover?
No cracks. The puffed up old battery helped by popping the back cover for me. The cover holds just by a thin (~1 mm) strip of double-sided tape around the edge. I may replace it one day with a new one if I can be bothered, but for now it is good enough and anyway, I keep it in a flip case which helps to hold it together.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
I spoke to a Samsung phone repairer the other day, and he said one little trick with reassembling phones is to heat it once you've put the back on again to get it to stick properly.
A lot of the vids only show that it needs heating to open them up.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mrsellout View Post
I spoke to a Samsung phone repairer the other day, and he said one little trick with reassembling phones is to heat it once you've put the back on again to get it to stick properly.
A lot of the vids only show that it needs heating to open them up.
Aahhh, that's sorted, then 15 minutes of playing my game heats it up enough

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 443 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Grenoble, France
Hi all,
do you know if there is a way to change the screen lock of the android layer?
Some android apps do not work if there is no android screen lock.
I've tried with the Aliendalvik Control from @Coderus, but when clicking on "setting a screen lock", nothing can be done.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mousse04 For This Useful Post:
is there any app that starts a web server on a phone in a selected dir, so I can connect there and download files?

I know that python SimpleHTTPServer could do it, but maybe there's a gui app already...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lantern For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, sony xperia x