Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
UPDATE #2: romaxa points us to a news post from the Maemo Browser team showing us how to install a patched version of Adblock 1.1.1. The post also tells us how to subscribe to filters:

Originally Posted by MicroB News Post
Right now we can subscribe to some filters in this way: Press "CTRL+N" shortcut or open "New window" via Application Menu.

Type in URLBar next url: "chrome://adblockplus/content/ui/tip_subscriptions.xul"
UPDATE #1: zerojay has pushed an AdblockPlus package to Fremantle extras-devel that implements my hack for you! Try it out and report back here!

--- Original Post ---

If you want to enable Adblock Plus for the Fremantle browser (MicroB), you have to use a very "hackish" method.

Prerequisite: Adblock Plus plugin on a desktop Firefox install

First, install version 1.0.2 from https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...#version-1.0.2

Next, take the patterns.ini file from your existing Adblock install (usually found in your mozilla profile folder, in a subfolder called adblockplus ) and put it on the N900.

Make a new directory: /home/user/.mozilla/microb/adblockplus

Put the patterns.ini file into the new directory.

Reboot the device.

Enjoy ad-free browsing.

Please post other, less hackish, solutions below as you find them.

Last edited by qole; 2009-11-18 at 18:28.

The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
How well does it handle large patterns.ini files?

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Reboot the device? Isn't restarting the browser enough? Can you tell anything about influence on performance?

Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
Awesome! Win! and so on and so forth. I was waiting to see this. If it works, it works. Hackish or not.
I'm guessing it'll be faster,since it filters out tons of heavy flash.
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Sorry, can't answer performance questions except to say that it works for me and doesn't seem to bog anything down (or at least the lack of ads makes up for losses in performance).

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
So you have to install Adblock Plus normally on Microb and then grab the file from your desktop install, correct? You didn't mention it in your post.

Meh... I'll take a shot at packaging this along with the patterns.ini file for Maemo tonight. I need something to do anyways.

Last edited by zerojay; 2009-10-14 at 20:07.

The Following User Says Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
So once you place the patterns.ini file in there, any ABPlus subscriptions will automatically update? Or will you ever-so-often have to move your patterns.ini file over to the device again and again?

Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
So you have to install Adblock Plus normally on Microb and then grab the file from your desktop install, correct? You didn't mention it in your post.
Yes, you do have to install Adblock Plus on Microb. But the current version doesn't work. It has to be an old archived version, as I say in my post:

Originally Posted by qole View Post
First, install version 1.0.2 from https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...#version-1.0.2
And Psymastr:

Originally Posted by Psymastr View Post
So once you place the patterns.ini file in there, any ABPlus subscriptions will automatically update? Or will you ever-so-often have to move your patterns.ini file over to the device again and again?
You'll have to copy it over again. If someone (zerojay?) makes a package, maybe they'll update the package with a new settings.ini every few months and then bump the package version so we'll all get a new version of the patterns.ini file.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Yes, you do have to install Adblock Plus on Microb. But the current version doesn't work. It has to be an old archived version, as I say in my post:

And Psymastr:

You'll have to copy it over again. If someone (zerojay?) makes a package, maybe they'll update the package with a new settings.ini every few months and then bump the package version so we'll all get a new version of the patterns.ini file.
Is the recent version not working caused by microb being too old to run the newer versions?

Yes, as usual, they're using an old, old engine. Blech.

Tags
adblock, fremantle, hack, microb