Notices

Posts: 475 | Thanked: 771 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
To avoid having too many posts to read through in the previous Personal Menu thread (viewable here: http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=17777) I have started this new thread.

Personal Menu is now at version 0.60.7!

If there are no major issues in this version I will release it to the Maemo-Extras repository. For now, it is available at the garage page: https://garage.maemo.org/projects/personal-menu/

UPDATE: now available in the maemo Extras repository! No more manually downloading when wanting to upgrade! Also available: One-click Install

Changes in this version0.6 include:
  • Simplified options: instead of providing number of columns and "min rows" (what did that actually mean, anyway?) they are now calculated based on icon size. As of version 0.6-3 this is optional
  • Fixed dependency issue with libglade (which was never a real dependency anyway! Oops)
  • Add support for category headings - create an entry with an appropriate name and leave executable blank (see screenshot)
  • Menu opens WAY faster and uses WAY less CPU when opening
  • Fix dialog being pushed off the screen by popup menu
  • Add customizable (and optional) font and colour selection for the menu
  • Rearrange setup plugin to better fit the screen
  • In version 0.6-3 there is a small fix for the font button when the font is too long to fit on the screen
  • Various fixes and improvements I have forgotten about

UPDATE:Changes in 0.7 include:
  • Redesigned settings dialog with "Arrange Items" and "Settings" tabs to better fit on the screen
  • Fixes to move up, move down, and delete (if no item is selected)
  • Added option to enable/disable deletion confirmations
  • Made instructions come up after install (how to enable on first
    install, note to reboot on upgrade) Thanks OMWeather for showing me
    how!
  • Redesign desktop selection and icon selection dialogs
  • Removed icons from header in the settings dialog to make it more
    clear
  • Add bold indicators for headers in the arrange view
  • Make double clicking on desktop file or icon in selector select the
    icon

Please try it out and let me know if there are any issues. If you find a problem with the layout (calculates the wrong number of rows or columns or something) please provide your settings and the number of entries in your menu.

Enjoy!

EDIT: Wow, I thought I kept this thread updated better! Here are the changes up to 0.8-5 (which is just a minor release to bring back the old icon):

* Fixed backup configuration so it actually backs up
* New customized icon
* Added autobuild tools to the build process
* Changed back to original icon

The new icon is now being used for Personal Launcher.
Attached Images

Last edited by fiferboy; 2008-07-18 at 15:35. Reason: Updated to 0.7-2

The Following 39 Users Say Thank You to fiferboy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 26 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ East of England
Thanks for application, I would say it is my most used program and should be included in a later official update from Nokia or Nokia could include the options like this application does as a option in OS 2008. Thanks Again

Tested 0.6 from update from 0.4.2 it works great , no problems so far

Posts: 221 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Central Illinois
Originally Posted by fiferboy View Post
Simplified options: instead of providing number of columns and "min rows" (what did that actually mean, anyway?) they are now calculated based on icon size.
Actually, I prefer the old way where I could specify the number of columns and min rows. I had 2 columns of 4 icons each and it was perfect since the colums contained appls based on category. The new version gives me 2 columns with 6 icons in the first column and 2 icons in the second. I don't like it. I'm going to revert to the previous version.

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Washington State
Originally Posted by terrencegf View Post
Actually, I prefer the old way where I could specify the number of columns and min rows. I had 2 columns of 4 icons each and it was perfect since the colums contained appls based on category. The new version gives me 2 columns with 6 icons in the first column and 2 icons in the second. I don't like it. I'm going to revert to the previous version.
Yeah. That does seem like a step backward.

Posts: 475 | Thanked: 771 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Terrence: If you want to you could make two entries below your first four with a single space for the name and blank for the executable. This would give you one column with 4 apps and two blank spaces, and a second column with 4 apps. Not ideal as you would have some blank space at the bottom, but sevicable.

Better yet, start each column with a header. The first column would have the heading then four apps and a blank space, and the second column would have a heading and four apps.
Attached Images

Last edited by fiferboy; 2008-04-21 at 14:49. Reason: Attached screenshot

The Following User Says Thank You to fiferboy For This Useful Post:
frasej: I don't think it is really a step backwards since the only reason those options were there in the first place was because I could not figure out how to do it as it is now. I will concede that it does eliminate some functionality I didn't anticipate.

Perhaps I could add it back in as an option (and have the default layout mode be automatic calculation with the extra options as an "override" mode) but I would have to figure out how to put that in an already over-crowded configuration dialog. Mock-ups are welcome!

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Austin, Texas
Originally Posted by fiferboy View Post
Better yet, start each column with a header. The first column would have the heading then four apps and a blank space, and the second column would have a heading and four apps.
Thanks for this app! I've just installed it and it looks like something I'll be using. Looking at the screen shot, and the post above, I wonder,

a) how you got the background to be white and

b) how you insert the headers.

EDIT: Ok, I posted too soon. I figured out b)

It would be nice to have come column control, but I'll give this a go, thanks!

Last edited by Greyghost; 2008-04-21 at 15:04.

Greyghost: The white menu background is the default menu colour for the theme I am using: NuvoClear (https://garage.maemo.org/projects/nuvoclear) Personal Menu uses the system colours for menu background and foreground (unless you choose to override foreground).

For everyone concerned about the removal of manual control, I am designing a new dialog that will allow the user to select whether to use automatic or manual layout. Hopefully I can get this dialog to fit on the screen

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fiferboy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Is there a file that can be manualy backed-up that includes all the parameters that are used when we set up this app. I'm thikin' an upcomming reflash will result in having to enter the information again.

YoDude, the last few versions have theoretically had an automatic backup when you do a system backup of the "Settings" category. I haven't tested it yet, so if you do a manual backup of the file ".personal_menu.rc" in your home directory you will be covered both ways.

Let me know if the automatic worked for you. If it doesn't, I will try to fix it.

The Following User Says Thank You to fiferboy For This Useful Post: