Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Originally Posted by maacruz View Post
The dammed wlan kernel binary driver, Kalle Valo made a free driver (stlc45xx) but stopped working on it soon after, it is unstable, unfinished, the binary userspace daemon (icd2) doesn't work with it, and it can't be built on the diablo kernel (I tried) so no way to play with it while having the tablet in working condition.
That's obsolete, subsumed by p54spi (in the "mainline" kernel for a while now). I don't know if it can be made to work with Diablo userland, but It seems to work fine in OpenWrt for example.

I keep forgetting about it, thank you for reminding me (and everybody else).
If p54spi builds with diablo's kernel, maybe it could be used with iwconfig/wpa_supplicant instead of icd2.
Not as convenient but workable.
Or maybe even networkmanager (wasn't it used with mer?).

The Following User Says Thank You to luca For This Useful Post:
I also use my N810 daily for emails, internet radio, games,and light web browsing. The size of this tablet is perfect. I am actually using it more than my Asus Transformer because of the portability. If Nokia can update this unit with phone capability and better specs I would definitely buy it.

The Following User Says Thank You to codye75 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by n9ots View Post
the radio quirk may be due to the streamer may be at their limit of outgoing connections.
and my choice for youtube = mytube (the newest patch works well)
Thanks- I didn't know there was a patch to make it work. I'll have to dig for it ;-)

Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
Originally Posted by luca View Post
I keep forgetting about it, thank you for reminding me (and everybody else).
If p54spi builds with diablo's kernel, maybe it could be used with iwconfig/wpa_supplicant instead of icd2.
Not as convenient but workable.
Or maybe even networkmanager (wasn't it used with mer?).
It can't be built for the same reason stlc45xx can't, both depend on compat-wireless, and I haven't been able to get compat-wireless-old to build.
If someone gets more luck, please let me know.

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
It can't be built for the same reason stlc45xx can't, both depend on compat-wireless, and I haven't been able to get compat-wireless-old to build.
Yes, right after posting I thought that the problem could be due to the "environment" and not to the module itself

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by codye75 View Post
I also use my N810 daily for emails, internet radio, games,and light web browsing. The size of this tablet is perfect. I am actually using it more than my Asus Transformer because of the portability. If Nokia can update this unit with phone capability and better specs I would definitely buy it.
I thought that was what the N900 did, and why so many devs headed that way (likely helped along by the 3000 device giveaway that Nokia pulled).

Me, i could not care less about phone capabilities. I got a phone for that.

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
Originally Posted by lma View Post
There is one tricky/dangerous bit (installing the kernel modules to the initfs) that should be reviewed and tested thoroughly, but the rest should be just a matter of packaging it, making a new distribution meta-package and uploading to the testing repository.
I'm no longer afraid of that, the current installer seems to work pretty well, 698 kernels+modules installed and just 2 or 3 cases of reflash
I do have upload access there, but there's nothing else special about me and the repo, it's certainly not "mine" in any way. If I'm not around and you want to push stuff to it just ping X-Fade :-)
But where are the packages built? Do you upload the source package to some directory and the binaries appear in the repo, just like we do with extras-devel?
Is it possible to create a new repo there?

Originally Posted by tso View Post
I thought that was what the N900 did, and why so many devs headed that way (likely helped along by the 3000 device giveaway that Nokia pulled).

Me, i could not care less about phone capabilities. I got a phone for that.
I bought the N900 but returned it for an Asus Transformer because it does not connect 3G with my cell provider and screen size is less than N810.

But where are the packages built? Do you upload the source package to some directory and the binaries appear in the repo, just like we do with extras-devel?
No such luxuries as an autobuilder I'm afraid. The binary debs are built manually in my local scratchbox and uploaded along with the sources.

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
still using streamtuner and streamripper for all my music

records songs and tags beautifully

no other device i know of can do this

not even my galaxy tab

Tags
maemo4, nokia n800, nokia n810