hi guys do you know where i can download and add new recipes to pyrecipe??

thanks

Posts: 311 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London
Yeah I'd like to know that too

Does anyone have an idea?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Several months ago, I searched for recipes and found a site with 160,000 of them. Naturally, I downloaded them all, just in case. They were in some reasonably standard format, so I'd assume that they'd work in PyRecipe - in any case, I think the format was quite simple. Let me see if I can find the site again.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Hmm... Here's a whole bunch, but you'll need to convert them. You could probably use one of the other Open Source recipe managers for the desktop to batch import and then batch export them.
I'm not sure if that's what I found before or not.

EDIT: This is the page I found that site through, with more links. I have no idea which, if any, are useful.

Last edited by jaem; 2010-05-18 at 22:44. Reason: Added link.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Try searching for S. O. A. R. The Searchable Online Archive of Recipes. That was the granddaddy back in the day way my wife went to cal...

A quick search of the edu doesn't turn up anything but this was pre dot com and to get to the HTML page you had to go through their Sunsite via ftp.

This was a project run by some science department so students and faculty could play with a large served DB and understand how to manipulate and manage it. Now that they got this web thing figured out they pro'ly moved on to other stuff and allowed their DB to be commercialized... It was huge! with every egghead around the world contributing recipes. These recipes were also converted to many file formats as I recall.

Yup, a quick Google of just SOAR turned up many commercial hits With a place called Recipe Source claiming to be the new "keeper of the list". Hope this helps.

SLN member # 009

Last edited by YoDude; 2010-05-18 at 23:39.

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Mh I'd like to know what format the Files need to be in to be importable? Do I need to import them one-file-at-a-time or can I all import then in one file?

Open Source recipe managers
@Jaem, which one would you recommend?

I understand the principle, download them off the net, import in application, export, onto the n900, pyrecipe 'import'.

Trouble for me is that, up to now, I've been using some recipe websites that hopped onto the social network train and insist on using their own ******ed "store online and share" manager. Export is, at best, only possible to PDF.
They do offer a less crappy "Print recipe" link (with which you will print some ads too, yaay).
However, I just discovered Gourmet: http://grecipe-manager.sourceforge.net
It allows you to import a website by entering the URL.
The next step is a bit tricky, though. You will have to mark the paragraphs using the mouse, then click on a button to tell the program which part of the text is the list of ingrediants, which is the title etc (the "clear tags" button is your friend).
Once imported, you can export them into seperate "Gourmet XML file" (.grmt).
These files can then be send to your device and imported into pyrecipe.
Probably not the easists and most comfortable way to import dozens of recipes, but still the best approach if you have a couple of all-time favorites to import.

Edit:
Just noticed that you can export multiple recipes into 1 file and then import all recipes into pyrecipe; pictures will be stored inside the grmt instead of using seperate files, but that works too.
Awesome.

Last edited by rofltov; 2010-05-30 at 22:21.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rofltov For This Useful Post:
has anyone figured out how to do this yet?

Ok, I took a crack at it

Here's what I did:
1) Downloaded and installed gourmet recipe manager on my host pc
2) Downloaded a bunch of MM format (Meal-Master) files and imported them into gourmet
3) Exported all recipes from gourmet to .xml file and scp'd it to my n900
4a) Ran pyrecipe from osso-xterm, imported file (which will not work at first)
4b) SSH'ed into my device and opened the .xml file in nano
4c) Removed non-latin1 character(s) specified in osso-xterm's error, using host pc (and then saved changes), re-imported file via n900

***line and column #'s for non-latin1 chars are printed by xterm (n900), so it's best to use a program that can move cursor to specific location using short key-stroke/command (on host pc)***

4d) Step 4c, step 4c, step 4c, step 4c, step 4c, step 4c, step 4c, step 4c, step 4c, step 4c, step 4c, step 4c, step 4c, step 4c, step 4c, step 4c, step 4c, step 4c, step 4c, step 4c, step 4c, step 4c

So, after ~30min of, you guessed it, step 4c, I now have ~500 recipes in pyrecipe and counting!

Last edited by badcloud; 2012-01-26 at 20:10.