Stupid googletranslate-joke:

"A few HMD leaders were in the operating system shop and the manager said to the secretary when he stopped at Sailfish ... 'We may take that? Kai we take?' "

Original:

"Muutama HMD:n johtaja oli käyttöjärjestelmäkaupassa ja johtaja sanoi sihteerille pysähtyessään Sailfish osastolle... 'Me otetaan ehkä tää? Kai me otetaan?' "

(may in english = ehkä = kai in finnish...)

sorry OT

"Gods have mercy. Cats don't..." <- Kaotik@iotech

Last edited by catbus; 2019-01-14 at 18:27.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to catbus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
The linked article speculates that this is a new N9-like phone. Nobody seems to have considered the possibility that it might actually be the original Nokia N9. For those who are unaware, KaiOS is a fork of B2G/Firefox OS. romaxa already ported Firefox OS to the N9 so it wouldn't surprise me if someone has KaiOS running on it too.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Posts: 253 | Thanked: 1,007 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Near Munich
Also the device is too identical to an N9,
you would expect at least minor differences from a new phone.

The USB door, the curvature of the screen, placement of the front camera, Nokia emblem, microphone, speaker and color all are much to close to an N9 for it to be anything else.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Macros For This Useful Post:
Give me that thing with a bit more RAM than the (original) N9, as well as a working port of Sailfish, and I'll buy ten to last a lifetime.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by vitaminj View Post
The bananaphone has the developer menu disabled by default, though you can do a magic key combo or a filesystem fiddle to bring it back, although I think Nokia didn't actually want this, so they may lock it down if they're releasing new devices. With the dev menu unlocked you get the ability to sideload PWA apps onto the device, and also get usb debug to the underlying Android bits. But I don't believe the bootloader is (or can be) unlocked, so I guess you're stuck with KaiOS.
So now I am a bit confused; you say here that there are "android bits" underhood, yet I thought KaiOs is an own non-android OS implementatioin?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
So now I am a bit confused; you say here that there are "android bits" underhood, yet I thought KaiOs is an own non-android OS implementatioin?
Either bionic or new drivers...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
It is a closed fork of FirefoxOS, which worked with Android drivers. They didn't employ libhybris, but the trick was to compile Gecko for bionic instead.

Honestly, having KaiOS version of Nokia N9 would seem as disgrace of original N9 to me. If current KaiOS phones are anything to look at, it might have even lower specs than original (Nokia 8810 4G has 512 MB RAM), so coupled with closed bootloader it probably wouldn't make a nice device for porting. And as for KaiOS itself... they started based on open source project and made it completely closed source except the parts they had to open by license (Gecko engine), then turned to Google.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to TheKit For This Useful Post:
I saw nokia 8110 4g recently.
Not very good UI,no terminal,maybe no openmode...
I don't think it is like a modern OS.
(Maybe it's because it has't a touching screen?)
I think I won't like it.
Maybe I will think about it if it has MUCH BETTER hardware and terminal and openmode or open bootloader

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sunset_Shimmer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 697 | Thanked: 1,980 times | Joined on Jun 2015 @ Lisbon - Portugal

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deutch1976 For This Useful Post:
Custom ROM for Nokia 8110 4G realeased 2 weeks ago:
https://gerda.tech/
https://sites.google.com/view/bananahackers/news

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MMC For This Useful Post:

Tags
kai os, nokia n9