The term release candidate seems to have received a new meaning.

A release candidate is not an alpha or beta. It should contain the full functionality, be thought to be (almost) bug free and be subject to a code freeze where any found bugs are only fixed after decision on project meeting.

I have a hard time seeing a release without PIN-code support as a release candidate unless PIN-code is seen as a bonus feature.

On the other hand - the N900 has been living with prereleases from day one.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pwm For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Berserk View Post
Since Qt is cross-platform, porting Qt apps from N900 (PR1.2) tot MeeGo shouldn't be very troublesome I think?
Apart from different system variables/standards maybe?
It's based on Qt but all the platform apps (of handset ui) are written using libmeegotouch (which is based on Qt)

Honestly I don't know if a plain-qt app integrates that well atm into meego... I would love to be proven wrong...

Originally Posted by Berserk View Post
It's probably not that easy
I fear so... it will run but it may not look/feel fully native...

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 86 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Barcelona
I just gave it a try and... disapointing to say the least.

It's so damned slow it takes ages to load any app (if we can call those things apps). Half of them don't even launch and don't even think on making phone calls or browse the internet :S

Still a *LOT* of work to do!

Regards

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by damnshock View Post
It's so damned slow it takes ages to load any app (if we can call those things apps).
What class microSD do you have?
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Originally Posted by pwm View Post
The term release candidate seems to have received a new meaning.

A release candidate is not an alpha or beta. It should contain the full functionality, be thought to be (almost) bug free and be subject to a code freeze where any found bugs are only fixed after decision on project meeting.

I have a hard time seeing a release without PIN-code support as a release candidate unless PIN-code is seen as a bonus feature.

On the other hand - the N900 has been living with prereleases from day one.
It's like the opposite of Google's Beta. =P

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
And this only because we don't have a policy daemon setting up audio routing
I dont get it but were is nokia atm.? I mean why isnt this already backported from Maemo5 that should be that hard :S

I could understand if there is no UI but backenddaemon should that been in place already? :-S

It is great if more people try to test Meego 1.1 on N900 cause this is VERY IMPORTANT for meego to success. But people should not expect Meego as a main OS yet cause its FAR from ready as enduser OS. But dont forget that MMC is a slower than internal so we should not blame Meego on this issues. Infact WidgetGallery is very smooth in Maemo for those who have installed the meego-widgets demos in extras-devel so thats how Meego will work to when installed on core EEMC I guess :-D (when its a ltittle more stable for endusers)

I dont know maybe there is MicroSD that is very fast so if someone could give a tip... I am using Sandisk SDHD but slow to me :-(

But to the developer start port QT apps too Meego now :-D

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2010-10-03 at 17:42.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
I dont get it but were is nokia atm.? I mean why isnt this already backported from Maemo5 that should be that hard :S
Nokia's there (as witnessed by the work going into MeeGo and especially MeeGo on N900) but we figured it'd be a priority to 1) have audio into the kernel at all and 2) making phonecalls (which we got done in the last minute before feature freeze), so well, some good things remain for 1.2.

I guess it's more obvious when you look at what has been needed to be done to get where we're at at the moment, but admittedly, platform has areas it's lacking at the moment.

We've set ourselves up for running MeeGo on N900 project for a long time, so we've had to take the long way of upstreaming kernel drivers, doing things the right way instead of with duct tape.

That 1.1 isn't where I (and probably others) hoped it would be is one thing but I see a lot of work being poured into MeeGo 1.1 and even more will go into 1.2.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 138 | Thanked: 164 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Chateauroux, FRANCE
just tried 1.0.90.4.20100928.1 on my n900
it works !!

dont tried phone but UX is mainly set up.
wifi works
there is autorotation (even home screen and menu and lock screen)
people, social and sms seems to work
i didnt have samples so i didtn try audio or video but album works
config panel is completing up
mostly encouraging

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheBootroo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by damnshock View Post
I just gave it a try and... disapointing to say the least.

It's so damned slow it takes ages to load any app (if we can call those things apps). Half of them don't even launch and don't even think on making phone calls or browse the internet :S

Still a *LOT* of work to do!

Regards
I feel the same. This isn't even alpha state, it is nothing yet. How is this going to be in any sort of usable state in 3-4 weeks?

MeeGo for the N900 looks very much like vapor-ware to me. By the time it eventually will be usable, there will be no one left to use it. I mean, I have already had my N900 for a year now. I had some hope to install MeeGo on it, or that the N9 would available before christmas, but right now I don't see any of those things happening any time soon, more like a full year. I feel it's time to move on, but to what?

The N8 looks damn tempting and all, but with no physical keyboard. The G2, or whatever the EU version is called also looks very tempting, but Android does not. Any Bada with physical keyboard does not seem to come into existence in the near future. The E7 looks to be the one.

I also experienced the same trying the latest Nokia codedrop image....
it is really slow because it running from the mmc but well it starts to work mostly...
the statusbar (battery indicator, ... ) still doesn't seem functional, xterm isn't working as well as power off and such stuff....

still LOTS of polishing and feature development ahead.... but we are on the right track =)
a navigation solution would be great... afaik OVI maps API is exposed via the qtmobility framework... so this should be possible...
or will we get OVI maps as soon as meego becomes really production ready?

The Following User Says Thank You to friesoft For This Useful Post: