Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
two in a row.....thinking about staying out since I'm really running out of ideas for theme but...

Being where I was and traveling a lot and looking at all the landscapes and old villages....
So something old, a church, a house, a barn, a mill......
Sadly not in Asturias anymore so it will be more of a challenge here.

Rules are as usual:
Photos must be taken during this month and posted before voting starts.
Photos must be taken by the posting member.
Photos must be taken with a camera phone.
Post processing is allowed but you have to say what you did.
Users must name the phone and software they used.
Users post only one photo per entry.
Users can change the entry only once.
3 day voting period starts on September 27th at 20:00 UTC and ends on the evening of September 30th.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Poor New Worldians are at a disadvantage

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
why? USA is full of old barns, wooden bridges, abandoned factories, airplanes graveyards, wood cabins...... Didn't say it has to be from greeks or romans. Just looking for something that looks old, used and abused. Date of build is not what I am after.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
why? USA is full of old barns, wooden bridges, abandoned factories, airplanes graveyards, wood cabins...... Didn't say it has to be from greeks or romans. Just looking for something that looks old, used and abused. Date of build is not what I am after.
Although my direct ancestors have only been in this area for around 150-170-ish years, it wasn't exactly a desert for humanity. Only a few hours east of here (unless you gotta stop to charge for a while in a WalMart parking lot) is Cahokia, a famous UNESCO world heritage site in the St. Louis area: the largest city north of Mexico in the 12th century CE. That population, BTW, was in the 25000 to 50000 range, compared to, e.g. London at around 13000 at the time.

Such earthworks dot North America, often hiding in plain sight, and dating back over 5000 years. That pre-dates the pyramids of Egypt . . .

But since old barns and such are fair game, Madison County, Iowa (of the bridges fame) is even closer. And closer still is the old machine shed at my grandparents' place, which may still be standing, despite the fact that the house site itself was replaced by a dentist's office a few years ago. We'll just have to see!

Exciting theme, looking forward to shooting something but especially seeing what everyone else shares.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
why? USA is full of old <snip>
Different people's definition of "old" differs

I am reminded of the old (no pun intended) saying: "In America, 200 years is a long time. In Europe, 200 miles is a long drive."

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
EDIT: NOT my entry. BlessN900, brightness -10, contrast +8, downscaled to 75%.

Noah's Ark - if someone has wondered how it looks like. In Suomenlinna, Helsinki.

This is the oldest apartment building there is - in Helsinki.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

Last edited by Maemish; 2020-09-22 at 20:15.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
The building is called Noah's Ark and it has own page in wiki.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA

image20200907_161001591_v2

Around here, this counts as an old building.

The Oxford School, a one-room schoolhouse built in the late 19th century (1877) was used as a school until 1955! Due to the development of a mega church and surrounding mega strip-malls, it was relocated in the early 21st century to a nearby city park and restored to its original condition. Obviously -- from the presence of the well pump in front and the outhouse in back -- this structure lacked indoor plumbing. It was also heated by a central "pot-belly" stove. Since grades 1-8 (today, this would be ages 6-14, but at the time would have ranged from 5-20) all attended in the same room, there's a variety of desk sizes inside and a variety of seat sizes in the latrines.

The last surviving building of its kind in this part of the county, it's now a living history museum, furnished with 19th century fixtures, school equipment and books.

My own grandmother graduated from the school in the early 20th century. Her uncle (IIRC) provided the land where it was built, and the family also contributed to its construction.

Shot on Oneplus One, running UB Ports Ubuntu Touch. Cropped a little in digiKam to remove distracting 21st century artifacts.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Check from the wikipedia how they have renovated the building in my entry. Taking away balcony, put wall and paint instead of changing and repairing the windows (the windows are painted on the wall), and covered all nice decorative structures. This is the way it is done in Finland many times.

Last edited by Maemish; 2020-09-09 at 17:40.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by Maemish View Post
Check from the wikipedia how they have renovated this building. Taking away balcony, put wall and paint instead of changing and repairing the windows (the windows are painted on the wall), and covered all nice decorative structures. This is the way it is done in Finland many times.
Are you refering to robthebold's schoool building?
Else you should really make use of the **edit** button on the lower left right of your original post.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2020-09-10 at 07:35. Reason: left - right, as confused with english way of traffic ;)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:

Tags
camera phone, competition