Notices

Posts: 133 | Thanked: 405 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Europe
Hi privacy friends!

CryptMee 0.3.3 is available! It supports plain text messages and emojis for incoming messages:

Please install " emoji4cryptmee" for emojis (OpenRepos).

Have a lot of fun!

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to chrm For This Useful Post:
Hi!

CryptMee 0.3.4 is available - its a small update which allows sending of emojis (ext. package is needed) and makes some small improvements like faster opening a chat conversation.

Have a lot of fun!

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to chrm For This Useful Post:
Hi chrm, thanks for the great work!

There is a little problem with installation - I have installed the Warehouse and ran apt-get update, but when I tried to install libgcrypt12 or libgpg-error1 I was getting the error message "Package 'libgcrypt12' is not user package".
Then I went to terminal and successfully installed both packages at once "apt-get install libgcrypt12 libgpg-error1", so almost no issues here.

But there is one major issue - it seems that CryptMee does not work with 'extraplugins' by CODeRUS. I have created the OTR private key, logged into my Jabber account, opened Contacts -> Show -> Jabber -> and no luck. When I choose any contact and press "Chat" icon - the screen goes back to Contacts list, seems that the chat app crashes. Please check it and fix if possible.
I have sent you a €100 donation, hope that it will aid you. My total budget is $500 for the fully working and stable OTR solution: https://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?...45&postcount=5

> Have a lot of fun!

Are you an openSuSE user? Hail to the greens!

> Last Activity: 12-05-15 12:44 PM

The Following User Says Thank You to meego_leenooks1 For This Useful Post:
Hi meego_leenooks1!

First of all, many thanks for the donation.

Creating OTR for CryptMee was a lot of work. I did it primarily for my self and use it now in my everyday communication with 20+ XMPP contacts.

So let us clarify the problems you have been faced with.

Installing "extraplugins" is the right way to enable XMPP using a graphical interface. CryptMee did not touch this process. It just works with XMPP accounts but do not change the chat UI nor any other system component.

CryptMee just receive DBus events and is sending DBus events to the telepathy framework.

If you have some issues with unencrypted, plain XMPP communication after "extraplugins" installation, please reboot your device, so all changes done by "extraplugins" are activated. You can contact me using XMPP by this JID: chrm@draugr.de

If XMPP is running, start CryptMee, create private key (already done) and try to send yourself an encrypted OTR message from other device.

CryptMee will manage the key exchange, decrypts the message and will replace the unreadable message by a readable one in the message tracker - you are able then to read this message with the stock message UI.
It is not possible for me to refresh the chat view on-the-fly so you have to leave a chat session and open it again to see the decrypted message. You are also not able to write an encrypted message with the stock chat UI.

This restrictions let me create a full featured chat UI within CryptMee. It integrates OTR and emoji viewing - just use it to make stress-less OTR chats with your contacts.

There is still a bug: you cannot start an OTR chat with a new contact as long, as the key exchange did not happen. So the other site has to init the OTR process first.

I can of course fix this bug. The other restrictions regarding the stock chat-UI are not fixable (for me) without fixing some system libraries.

Next time I will also try to implement parts of "HTTP File Upload" for sending pictures and showing a picture preview of received images in chat UI.

Please, don't hesitate to contact me for any further XMPP/CryptMee questions!

The Following User Says Thank You to chrm For This Useful Post:
Might I suggest looking into OMEMO as well, as a more modern (in a good way, being easier to use and offering better security) approach to OTR. I'm assuming you only use OTR for XMPP, of course.

OMEMO requires changes in the XMPP protocol. Thats couldn't be done via DBus.
So OTR will stay the only way for chat encryption on Harmattan.

Hi chrm, sorry for the delay, I'm very busy with my projects.

The chat app stopped crashing somehow and the OTR encryption does work now, but only inside your application which is not very convinient. Also I get notifications with "?OTR:blabla" encrypted messages instead of the normal text.
Is it possible to decrypt messages before they go to notification area? And using OTR encryption in native chat application?
The native chat application shows "?OTR:blabla" messages instead of normal text and if I reply back from native chat app the desktop client shows error message like: "*phone*: The following message received from *phone* was /not/ encrypted: [asfgh *]*"
Also I'd like to have the possibility to initiate the OTR encryption from the phone.

EDIT: I've found that the OTR encryption could be started from the phone!

Last edited by meego_leenooks1; 2016-10-14 at 06:47.

Hi meego_leenooks1,

just to clarify how CryptMee works, see this picture:

So if you send a message from the stack chat UI, this message is going directly to Telepathy and will be sent immediately. There is no way to catch this message and encrypt it.

The same for the notification area. If Telepathy gets a new message, it will directly set the notification. Another app (like CryptMee) is not allowed to overwrite this notification.

Thats the reason, plain "?OTR?..." message will appear in the notification area.

Thanks for testing and creating bug reports. I will try to fix them next time.

The Following User Says Thank You to chrm For This Useful Post:
Hi!

After a long time there is a new CryptMee version 0.3.5. It fixes some bugs and brings small improvements:

- Starting first time OTR session is now possible from CryptMee
- Creating an OTR private key did not fails for the first time anymore
- Bugfix for line feeds in messages in chat view
- Picture preview for received or sent picture URLs in chat view

Thank you for testing and reporting bugs!

And of course: Have a lot of fun!

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to chrm For This Useful Post:
Short information about how the file upload will work.

Since XEP-0363 needs protocol changes, Im not able to implement it directly. But if you have your own webspace, CryptMee can upload files using https to this webspace and send the download URL to your contact.

For this to work, you need an upload service running on the remote web server.
Attached you will find a Perl script which I use on my web server. It also provides a HTML frontend for testing the upload functionality.
Please replace all <placeholders> in this file first (some URLs)!

You can of course implement this upload service in any other language. It should include the following header field in http-response: "download_url" which includes the download URL for your contact.

Once configured in CryptMee file upload will be very easy. Select a picture on your phone, wait some seconds and the download URL will be sent to your contact.

I will try to release the next version soon.
Attached Files
File Type: zip upload_meego.zip (1.4 KB, 81 views)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chrm For This Useful Post:

Tags
cryptmee, email, encryption, gnupg, offtherecord