I'm after some technical plotting tools in Python and it looks like PyQwt would be suitable.

Before I do too much more to get Qwt compiling, I thought I'd ask whether anyone else has compiled this or if there are any other suggestions (I'm planning to use it in Python eventually, but have to get the C++ code compiling first)?

http://qwt.sourceforge.net/

Thanks

i looked at compiling matplotlib but gave up with the dependencies.

I've just pushed matplotlib to extras-devel, let me know how it works

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lardman View Post
I've just pushed matplotlib to extras-devel, let me know how it works
Took me a long while to notice your reply and then get around to trying it, I get the following error in scratchbox (x86):

Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "matplotlib_test.py", line 1, in <module>
    import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/__init__.py", line 739, in <module>
    rcParams = rc_params()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/__init__.py", line 657, in rc_params
    fname = matplotlib_fname()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/__init__.py", line 599, in matplotlib_fname
    path =  get_data_path() # guaranteed to exist or raise
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/__init__.py", line 248, in wrapper
    ret = func(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/__init__.py", line 520, in _get_data_path_cached
    defaultParams['datapath'][0] = _get_data_path()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/__init__.py", line 516, in _get_data_path
    raise RuntimeError('Could not find the matplotlib data files')
RuntimeError: Could not find the matplotlib data files
With the following code from http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/us..._tutorial.html

Code:
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
plt.plot([1,2,3,4])
plt.ylabel('some numbers')
plt.show()
I get the same error with just "import matplotlib" as well (afairecall matplotlib uses tk as default toolkit so the example code might not actually work as-is ["matplotlib.use('GTK')" may be needed)

The Following User Says Thank You to rambo For This Useful Post:
Hmm, well that's not ideal. I've not got round to trying it yet actually.

I'm away for a week but will see if I can fix it (or get Qwt compiling) when I get back.

Thanks for trying it anyway

Originally Posted by lardman View Post
I'm away for a week but will see if I can fix it (or get Qwt compiling) when I get back.
Since someone has taken care of the tons of dependencies already I can try compiling it myself as well (already did some adjustments, like skipping tcl/tk backend)

Edit: Managed to compile a seemingly working version (the trivial example code and another randomly chosen example run as-is), note though i threw away the -data and main package separation and played funky with symlinks to manage optification.

For the moment a 40MB tarball containing both the compiled package (scratchbox x86 only) and the state of my build dir is at http://midgard2.hurttakallio.net/dropbox/

Last edited by rambo; 2010-11-26 at 23:32.

Originally Posted by rambo View Post
For the moment a 40MB tarball containing both the compiled package (scratchbox x86 only) and the state of my build dir is at http://midgard2.hurttakallio.net/dropbox/
Same directory now has a deb for armel compiled package, I have not yet tried it on my device even: caveat emptor!

(yes, this stuff will end up in extras-devel once me and lardman get it to slightly better shape, the above versions for example have all debug options I could find turned on so it's not exactly production release)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rambo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 946 | Thanked: 1,650 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by rambo View Post
Since someone has taken care of the tons of dependencies already I can try compiling it myself as well (already did some adjustments, like skipping tcl/tk backend)
I've uploaded tcl, tk and python-tk a long time ago. you could enable it.

Originally Posted by titan View Post
I've uploaded tcl, tk and python-tk a long time ago. you could enable it.
Is there a piece of software in extras-devel that uses both matplotlib and tcl/tk for something else than displaying stand-alone graphs from matplotlib ? If not I see no reason to add the compiled-in backend that will never be used.

Also I would like to keep the dependencies to bare minimum (which is why it only has compiled in support for GTK [Qt support needs no compilation]).

I wonder about the dependencies though; can we leave out tk as dependency if we have compiled in support for it (at the very least we must change the default backend to GTK if we don't hard-depend on tk) I guess that would need a bunch of experimentation with a reliable way to rollback to a clean state (reflashing is probably easiest and fastest but a pain if you wish to use your device for something else than development only).

So to get this moving forward again:

@lardman: got any good reasons why we should keep the data package separate (yes, in theory it's not achitecture specific but it might be more work than it's worth to keep it separate when the whole thing is in /opt/matplotlib) ?

If we decide to change it to single package you should (as the maintainer) probably delete the two old packages and then either of us can upload new source.

Tags
data-analysis, plotting