Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Mer for Nokia 770,N800, N810, N810W, X86, Beagleboard, Pocket Loox 720, version 0.9

Information about Mer can be found at http://wiki.maemo.org/Mer and release information and released files on http://wiki.maemo.org/Mer/Releases/0.9. It also has a list of known issues so please read them through first before installing.

If you own a N8x0(W), use the installer mentioned here. 770 instructions here. If you have VirtualBox, VMware, QEMU or Parallels, try out our VMDK or RAW images. Beagleboard and Pocket Loox 700-series instructions are available.

Next release is 16 March 2009 (0.10).

Highlights of this release:
* 770 WiFi works out of the box (thanks to nikolajhendel for the 770 donation)
* Powerlaunch - power button menu and lock screen/reboot/shutdown/offline mode now works
* Autodetection of having Nokia keyboards
* You can now flash Mer to the internal flash on N8x0 (experimental, and swap recommended, we provide JFFS2+kernel image)

Mer is still a work in progress and as such you should not expect too much of it. We are in dire need of hands, both coders and architects/designers, so if you think you can contribute, you're more than welcome to join us.

If you would like to participate, read through http://wiki.maemo.org/Mer/People and http://wiki.maemo.org/Mer/Sprints and see if there's anything you can help out with. We're on #maemo (or #mer) on FreeNode, IRC, if you'd like to hang out and discuss.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 32 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
After installing 0.9, I rebooted my device, and seleted Mer at the bootmenu. After displaying "starting linuxrc from Mer on external...", I get the Nokia splash screen and then the tablet reboots itself from flash back into Maemo. I've been using Mer since 0.7, and I did not have this problem when upgrading to 0.8. Any pointers? Thanks!

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Colombia
besides the highlights... are there other enhancements?

Originally Posted by [[ cold ]] View Post
besides the highlights... are there other enhancements?
Not really in this release - been a slow two weeks so. Alpha code drop from Nokia has happened now though so we'll see what can be done with it.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Not really in this release - been a slow two weeks so. Alpha code drop from Nokia has happened now though so we'll see what can be done with it.
thanks for the quick response!
I guess the powerlaunch button alone is worth it in my N810, will load it and comment soon

i keep getting Error 404: Not Found ... using the new installer, simple mode

Woops, sorry

merinstaller 2.0.0-mer6 now in repository, it fixes the URL

Temporary fix: when it asks for URL, write URL=http://stskeeps.subnetmask.net/mer/0.9/mer-armel-n8x0-image-v0.9.tar.gz

Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Highlights of this release:
* 770 WiFi works out of the box (thanks to nikolajhendel for the 770 donation)
Aaah, so this is the one I'd been waiting for... there goes my MMC :-)
Thanks stskeeps !

edit: too bad the wiki seems slashdotted right now

Last edited by fpp; 2009-03-02 at 21:04.

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
I tried with 0.8 and again with 0.9 downloading the tar.gz image and un-tar ing into a clean partition on my sd card of choice (partitions previously setup by mer installer).

It boots fine, loads mer asks for my name, user name, password x2, and tablet name. Loads mer but I don't have any options for wireless. With 0.8 re-installed using mer installer, wireless was fine.

I untar'd using root in ubuntu, is that part of the problem?

If there isn't an easy way to do it, I'll stumble through manual in the installer.

how does the:
* Autodetection of having Nokia keyboards
work??

out of the box, the fn doesnt work in my N810 ... im apt-get dist-upgrade 'ing now to check

EDIT: not working

Last edited by [[ cold ]]; 2009-03-03 at 15:04.

Tags
mer, mer release