Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Grab your free copy of the book at https://asokan.org/operation-elop/

The book says, among other things, that Nokia has probably been in talks with Apple's Tim Cook to lead Nokia.

The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Ehm, https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.ph...99#post1541099

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
The book deserves it's own thread, for people like me who probably missed it
Also, the second revision has been released just today by fixing some errors in it

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
This hurts too much to go over it again

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to tortoisedoc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
what hurts is the fact that they had in house HW and SW so much better than that terrible S60. And all that years before google and apple. Elop or no Elop wouldn't made any difference except that maybe without him they would switch to android back then but essentially they killed themselves by forcing S60 UI. Even when everybody else already moved to full touch UIs, And they had that fully functional at least 5 years before. They were always willing to risk with bizzare designs but never with new OS. And back then as the biggest company they could support niche HW. And also, back then there wasn't so many 3dr party social craps with private APIs so they had the knoledge and resources to develop all that was necessery and common for a fully functional mobile platform.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
what hurts is the fact that they had in house HW and SW so much better than that terrible S60. And all that years before google and apple. Elop or no Elop wouldn't made any difference except that maybe without him they would switch to android back then but essentially they killed themselves by forcing S60 UI. Even when everybody else already moved to full touch UIs, And they had that fully functional at least 5 years before. They were always willing to risk with bizzare designs but never with new OS. And back then as the biggest company they could support niche HW. And also, back then there wasn't so many 3dr party social craps with private APIs so they had the knoledge and resources to develop all that was necessery and common for a fully functional mobile platform.
yep. but at least now we have space for new ideas

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tortoisedoc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 252 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
Grab your free copy of the book at https://asokan.org/operation-elop/

The book says, among other things, that Nokia has probably been in talks with Apple's Tim Cook to lead Nokia.
Thanks for the heads up.

I'll be looking forward to reading it on my Jolla Tablet

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LouisDK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
The book deserves it's own thread, for people like me who probably missed it
Also, the second revision has been released just today by fixing some errors in it
+1
I missed that in the Nokia stock thread.
But I am not sure I really want to read it in 2018...

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 71 | Thanked: 456 times | Joined on Jan 2017 @ Portugal
Great book, I read it all in the weekend, it brings lots of memories.
Kind of hurts to see how Nokia went down.
Before becoming a Nokia fan, I was a hobbiest developer fan of Qt from Trolltech.
Many people got worried, including me, when Nokia bought Trolltech, we thought that all
the focus would go to Nokia mobile, and the Desktop development, Android and iOS ports
would be stalled.
Then when the Qt Ambassador program was launched, I applied in that same week,
so probably I was one of the first Nokia Qt Ambassadors
Eventually we received a package from Nokia with stickers, t-shirt and a Nokia C7 smartphone.
My first smarphone !!! I got sold out to Nokia
For the next 2 or 3 years I didnt had to buy any phones, I would just got them from Nokia,
trought development contests or trought the Qt Ambassadors program. I also got a nokia X7, a
Nokia N950 and eventually I also got a devices from Blackberry, a BB10 prototipe
wich I had to return later, and later came a BB10 developer red edition.
We even got invitations for secret development contests for Meego plataform.
I learned later that Elop said internally that all Qt Desktop should be
deprecated, the focus should be the mobile. iirc I got that from a post from Quim Gil
from Nokia.
Back then I did make some money selling apps in Ovi store, not much,
but much more then I make today in Android wich is close to nothing.
Being a Nokia Qt Ambassador was a great ride. When nokia went with Microsoft, that was really bad.
Some good things happen thought, Jolla was created, Qt got sold and Qt development seemed to
get back on track.
Now Nokia hopefully as learned with past mistakes, and for sure I would like to see them partnering with Jolla,
not sure its gonna happen but that would be handsome.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to john_god For This Useful Post:
Posts: 71 | Thanked: 456 times | Joined on Jan 2017 @ Portugal
Btw, a fun fact about Meego, in 2013 I went to a linux event and talked to some of the speakers, the guys from Kwamecorp, they were helpping Fairphone with Android OS implementation.
I asked if they knew Sailfish and they told me that they had created the Meego swipe interface.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to john_god For This Useful Post:

Tags
free book, operation elop