Active Topics

Interesting, so you wouldn't even have to do the partition setup and all, just clone the image from the desktop/laptop to the card from Windows?

Anyway, I gave up on the 4 GB card. Use the Panasonic program to bring it back to 3.75 GBs and now I'm having it low level format my 16 GB and going try with that.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
In Windows, you can do it with Acronis True Image ver. 11.
It has a 30 day FREE trial. Google/dl/install and try it free for 30 days.
No. I have nothing to do with Acronis.

bun

So I'm guessing the only reason why people can't just put up a cloned image onto the internet for people to image onto their card is legal issues regarding maemo?

Edit.. um.. quick question. Does it matter if the SD card is in locked or unlocked position (white tab is up for unlocked and down for locked)?

Cause I just took a look at my 4 GB SDHC card and noticed the tab was down..checked all the other SD and SDHC cards I own and their tabs are up..

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Last edited by Laughing Man; 2008-04-17 at 02:19.

Posts: 213 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Detroit, MI
I believe when it is in the locked position it is read-only therefore yes it does matter. I remember way back when we still used 3.5" diskettes, the tab made it read only. However, SD cards may differ in that they may allow you to write to them but not delete anything off of them. I cant remember.

Hmm, I must've switched it by accident somehow from when I did it the first time to when I've been trying and failing now.

Guess I'll give the 4 GB card flash one more try then.

Ok, I'm an idiot. That was the problem. Maybe it should be added to the guide? (just for things to double check when it isn't working)

Dear god, I can't believe I didn't think of that sooner. But I'm glad to say I AM NOW A PROUD OWNER OF A DUAL BOOT SYSTEM.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Ok, I'm an idiot. That was the problem. Maybe it should be added to the guide? (just for things to double check when it isn't working)

Dear god, I can't believe I didn't think of that sooner. But I'm glad to say I AM NOW A PROUD OWNER OF A DUAL BOOT SYSTEM.
CONGRATULATION, CONGRATULATION, CONGRATULATION. And BTW, I really really think the credit goes to me, I think my offer to LLF and clone the SD somehow scared the evil away and made it happened. I really really think I deserved the credit

bun

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
And BTW, I really really think the credit goes to me, I think my offer to LLF and clone the SD somehow scared the evil away and made it happened. I really really think I deserved the credit
bun
All true. And, nonetheless, Laughing Man (and binjinx), you really ought to leave a thank-you on Post #1 if the guide worked for you.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Ah, I didn't do that already? Haha I'll go do it now.

I'm booting from SD on my n800 under OS2008 for months now, and wanted to share some problems I've experienced.

Problems range from:

- Browser giving "Could not open storage location" messages
- Connection settings lost, and then magically restored after a few reboots
- Random hangs and crashes
- Bookmarks hang for a few seconds before loading a page
- Metadata crawler plainly refuses to index files
- etc, etc, in other words: strange behaviour :-)

Every time I observed these kind of problems my internal SD card turned out to be seriously corrupted. (After running fsck from my linux desktop on the card.)

This could of course be just a problem with my specific card, a sandisk ultra II 2gb, but maybe some others also observed this and didn't realize it could be due to booting from SD / filesystem corruption.

(These sort of problems can be slightly frustrating, I can tell :-))

Anyone else noticed this?