Notices

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by Kossuth View Post
It feels like the the codec choice is empty when the app starts (it shows the AAC, maybe because it cant show empty field) and I have to go and make one choice to get it working.
Ack! That's the problem, I've still got the default set internally to SPX. Unfortunately, SPX recordings are coming out bad. Let me get a quick fix up for that.

And what comes to the volume rocker function, what I meant was what Estel described exactly. The muting causes the recording to record nothing and that might be a problem in some instances.
This is going to be a problem. I can control the volume rockers while Orecchiette is on the screen, but they go out of my control when it is backgrounded. And so far as I know, I don't have control over whether the "source" audio gets muted or not. Let me do some investigating.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I have another feature request

I was playing with with Orec last night when I suddenly realized that it would be nice to have an indicator of how long it has been recording. It would be super cool if it were something like a digital clock in the middle of the Record button but a simple clock where "Recording XXX stream" is now would do just as well.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Well, I've been fighting the Speex encoder most of the week, and I'm just not getting it to work. So, it's time to put it on the back burner for a while and get some other stuff done. I haven't managed to clean up the file naming mechanism yet, but I did go ahead and put a running time counter into the status line. I've also been told that the repositories are taking updates again (hurrah!). So, I've gone ahead and bundled together version 0.0.4, and submitted it to extras-devel. (I've also put a link to the .deb file on the first post. ) Enjoy, and let me know when you find bugs!

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
A few ideas I thought I'd throw your way.

Option to have continuous buffer recording.
So therefore I imagine a checkbox for buffer mode enable and a timer that sets the period which the recording starts to overwrite itself. Not 100% if this is possible to do but a useful idea non the less.

Option to e-mail a file, this would be a useful menu option that the current "Recorder" application has. Maybe FTP is possible too?

I could then remove the wav only "Recorder" in favour of pasta.

Another thing "recorder" does is ask for a filename on stop in a dialog box, maybe this could be a option in addition to time style filenames.

I have setup a /Recordings location on my 64GB uSD and have had no issues with Orecchiette so far. Good Stuff
The repository is a bit intermittent at the moment so continue as you are with post in OP and upload to devel.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
Option to have continuous buffer recording.
So therefore I imagine a checkbox for buffer mode enable and a timer that sets the period which the recording starts to overwrite itself. Not 100% if this is possible to do but a useful idea non the less.
Interesting! Hmm, I'm fairly certain that I could do this one way or another. In fact, you could "chain" a series of files together, so that, say, Orecchiette switches to a new file every five minutes, and after the 10th file returns to file #1; this way you wouldn't lose the entire buffer every time it started over...

Option to e-mail a file, this would be a useful menu option that the current "Recorder" application has. Maybe FTP is possible too?
I was looking in to using ftp in a previous app, it should be doable. (Actually, I should probably just look at the ideas popping up in Estel's thread on sending photos from the N900...) I'll take a look.

Yikes, just found the "MyDicto" app; this thing has all sorts of useful features, including Speex recording, e-mailing of files, sharing over bluetooth or cloud services... And apparently records phone calls too. I really should put more effort into looking for these things. Has anybody here been using that app?

Another thing "recorder" does is ask for a filename on stop in a dialog box, maybe this could be a option in addition to time style filenames.
Ah, that would be logical. Let me add that in...

The repository is a bit intermittent at the moment so continue as you are with post in OP and upload to devel.
Will do!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Yikes, just found the "MyDicto" app; this thing has all sorts of useful features, including Speex recording, e-mailing of files, sharing over bluetooth or cloud services... And apparently records phone calls too. I really should put more effort into looking for these things. Has anybody here been using that app?
No, never heard of it.
However as I say it's not the sort of thing I normally need all the time.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Cycling through files is the usual way dash cams achieve buffering. The size and number of files can be configurable (e.g. 300 files, 1 minute each). The oldest file gets deleted when a new one starts.

I wasn't aware of MyDicto either and I used to use Recaller all the time. Although I may have considered and dismissed it a year ago when I acquired my first N900. I have installed it now and having played with it for 5 minutes I must say I like Orecchiorette better. Perhaps a few features "borrowed" from MyDicto might make Orec the killer app of the year!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 198 | Thanked: 219 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Louth / Ireland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Cycling through files is the usual way dash cams achieve buffering. The size and number of files can be configurable (e.g. 300 files, 1 minute each). The oldest file gets deleted when a new one starts.

I wasn't aware of MyDicto either and I used to use Recaller all the time. Although I may have considered and dismissed it a year ago when I acquired my first N900. I have installed it now and having played with it for 5 minutes I must say I like Orecchiorette better. Perhaps a few features "borrowed" from MyDicto might make Orec the killer app of the year!
Copernicus please don't forget about Orecchiette, auto - recording calls is my dream in this one (Recaller). Best wishes if You still fighting with it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Garrett_PL For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Garrett_PL View Post
Copernicus please don't forget about Orecchiette
Ah, sorry, this hasn't really been my week. I really haven't been doing a lot of coding; hopefully, I'll get back to the good stuff this weekend.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Feature request:

Save phone calls files in same format as recorder - [caller number]_[call start time]_[call end time].

i also wonder if it's possible to add the contact name in case he exists in the phone book. i tried searching the dbus APIs for this and couldn't find a way.

The Following User Says Thank You to impeham For This Useful Post:

Tags
nokia n900, pasta, recording