Krisse,

I share your enthusiasm for updating the wiki. I found it quite easy to add some information to the ITT tips and faqs. Please summarize what you have learned and think would be useful and add it there where folks with problems should be able to find it. The ITT fora are getting rather too large for newbies to find the nuggets they need.

Thanks

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Norway
I tried many times to get the 770 flasher working on my Tiger partition today but it hung after a few seconds, something about 'secondary..'. I had previously used it to flash the 2008 beta ok.. so, I was obliged to power up the XP again! Ugh

Tiger has had a few updates lately, but I do wish Nokia (?) would put together a gui like the XP one.

Originally Posted by cintra View Post
I tried many times to get the 770 flasher working on my Tiger partition today but it hung after a few seconds, something about 'secondary..'. I had previously used it to flash the 2008 beta ok.. so, I was obliged to power up the XP again! Ugh

Tiger has had a few updates lately, but I do wish Nokia (?) would put together a gui like the XP one.
That's weird, I didn't have any trouble with the 770 flasher. I was going to do a step by step on how to do it with pictures, but all the sites are timing out for me at the moment. Maybe later I'll do one.

SEARCH! It's probably already been answered.

I I do wish Nokia (?) would put together a gui like the XP one.
It might be easier if they open sourced the code.
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

Originally Posted by fnordianslip View Post
It might be easier if they open sourced the code.
A GUI front end could just wrap around command line software, no source code necessary.

However, I would like to see the source code released, so it could be built for more operating systems and architectures.

Originally Posted by barry99705 View Post
That's weird, I didn't have any trouble with the 770 flasher. I was going to do a step by step on how to do it with pictures, but all the sites are timing out for me at the moment. Maybe later I'll do one.
I'm beginning to suspect there is more than one problem with Leopard on my iMac.. the one problem I know of is an inability to edit my address book, and nearly everything is owned by root!

Tiger is OK, and I was able to flash the beta version ok. Someone on Jaiku too mentioned no trouble with the flasher on Leopard.. hmm

Anyway, I'm happy with the N800 result ;-)

I'm beginning to suspect there is more than one problem with Leopard on my iMac.. the one problem I know of is an inability to edit my address book, and nearly everything is owned by root!

Tiger is OK, and I was able to flash the beta version ok. Someone on Jaiku too mentioned no trouble with the flasher on Leopard.. hmm

Anyway, I'm happy with the N800 result ;-)
You didn't happen to do an archive and install when you upgraded did you? We've had a few problems with that. Keeps some of the settings from 10.4, which 10.5 doesn't seem to like. Usually I copy out every thing but my /Username/Library folders, then do a clean install. Then copy the folders back.

SEARCH! It's probably already been answered.

As far as I can remember, I just chose to chance the upgrade as I had two extra Tiger partitions and several backups. Perhaps the new upgrade which is rumored will fix things.. crossing fingers as we used to say.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Technically, the non-GUI method isn't approved by Nokia either: the OS X flasher-... was compiled as a semi-skunkworks project by someone in Nokia, which is why it's downlevel.

Having 770Flasher.app ask you (or interrogate your tablet) for you MAC, download the image and then flash it would all be perfectly possible. However, I'm now Mac-less, so the options are:
  • Use the command line or 770Flasher.app as-is.
  • Someone picks it up and does a better job (very welcome to :-))
  • Someone buys me a Mac and I do a better version including these suggestions, possibly based on 0xFFFF for Intel Mac support.

Cheers,

Andrew

I've tried the GUI method on my Mac ibook G4 more than half a dozen times now. No luck so far. I successfully downloaded the 770 flasher and the latest Nokia image, opened the .bin file in the flasher, then disconnected and turned off my N800 as directed. I started the flasher but at this point got message and spinning wheel indicating that it could not find a suitable USB port (or words to that effect) and is "waiting". Assuming the program was just downloading a massive amount of data, I let it run for about thirty minutes, but the message remained and the little wheel kept spinning until I canceled.

Solutions tried: 1. Powered up and plugged the N800 into the USB port after the no-USB message appeared; 2. Started over, with the N800 plugged into the USB (but turned off) before starting); 3. Tried again with N800 plugged in and turned on; 4. Removed one, then both memory cards from the N800 and repeated all of the above; 5. Restarted the computer and repeated the above; 6. re-downloaded new copies of the flasher and image and repeated all the above again.

No luck. One other thing I noticed, which perhaps is related to my lack of success: when I plug the N800 into the computer, an icon appears indicating it is plugged in (two icons when both cards are inserted in the N800), but when I try to eject it, the icon keeps reappearing, so there's no apparent way to properly disconnect the N800 from the computer. Do all Apple owners have this problem?

Any ideas on what else I can try to update to OS2008?