First let me say "Thank You" to all of you. I have had my Nokia 770 for almost a year. This forum and it's members has always been a great help. Now enough brown nosing ...

I have the 770 with maemo mapper installed. I played with it for a bit but could not find out if it could be used as a standard GPS unit. (find long & lat, route tracking, way points, etc.) I am looking into geocashing as a weekend hobby and would like to know if I should get a BT GPS receiver or just get a handheld GPS unit? Price wise, the two would be comparable. I just don't want to get the BT GPS and it have to get another GPS because it did not do what I wanted.

Any help or advise would appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Vonder

Posts: 531 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ This side of insane, that side of genius
none of the ITs are a gps. that said, GPS software is available, and maemo mapper is one of the better ones. the BT GPS device will allow to take advantage of the functionality in maemo mapper or other GPS software packages available.

maemo mapper will do the long+lat, route tracking, and waypointing your looking for. install the package and play with it a bit before you purchase the BT GPS. its free and you can get a feel for what it does. if it doesnt do what you want then you can go get the device that will do what you want without having paid for a BT GPS you dont want/need.
ElmScan 5 BlueTooth
BlackBerry Bold (9000)
AT&T Wireless

You can get a bluetooth GPS for a lot less than a standalone handheld model of any brand, especially one with mapping capability. You can get a bluetooth receiver for well under $50 if you look around. I have both, mainly because I bought my Garmin long before bluetooth models existed. I still use it for geocaching, because I don't want to carry my good Palm or my N800 out in the woods and the mud and the wet, risking dropping it on rocks or in creeks. The Garmin is much better suited for that, because it's waterproof. I use the bluetooth GPS for driving directions on either my Palm or my N800. Currently, Mapopolis on the Palm is far better than Maemo Mapper, but it's a much more mature application, and certainly not free. It's no longer available, however.

I bought one of those miniature Nokia bluetooth gps units (LD-3W ~$100) and Maemo Mapper automatically finds it and uses it! Works very well but the downloaded maps can easily fill up your memory and crash apps (like GPE) if you don't watch the memory.