Posts: 569 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ District of Columbia
Here's a problem I found while messing around most of the day with the N900 ( didn't get any work done today ).

If I click on 'Add Shortcut' then choose for ex. AP News, I'll automatically get a shortcut on my desktop, yet when I click on the shortcut because AP New's isn't downloaded on the phone it directs me to download the app. Once downloaded and automatically installed, I go back to the desktop only to find my shortcuts have now been replaced with the widget.

The whole point is saving the battery with the shortcut--yet if I double tap the desktop then 'add shortcut' and list will come up with the available shortcuts but AP New's isn't there anymore... I go into the phone, then into 'More' where AP New's was originally located, and nothing...the only way to get it back is by clicking on 'Add Widget' via the desktop. If I also go into the application manager, AP New's or any other app I've downloaded but deleted from the desktop is no longer available in the application manager, even though the app itself is still on the device.

I looked at the file manager and didn't find the app's ( yet for some reason there is a 'Mac OS' folder ???? ) so what's going on, how do I get back my app's in both the 'More' section as well as the shortcut list?

Also I noticed one time earlier today ( been trying to recreate the circumstance ) when I double tapped on the desktop a box slid up from the bottom of the screen showing my missed calls, total number of new messages and voicemails but I didn't click on it so it didn't stay. Yet, I can't seem to recreate this but I know it's there. Any insight on this one also??

Does the phone automatically clean up the install package once the apps themselves have been downloaded or do I need to go into a folder and delete the packages?

-Socrates 469 BC

Last edited by spinnukur; 2009-12-10 at 03:01.

Did you plug it into a Linux computer? For some reason it creates the Mac OS folder when you do that. I think it has to do with how .documents, .music, etc.. is hidden.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Did you plug it into a Linux computer? For some reason it creates the Mac OS folder when you do that. I think it has to do with how .documents, .music, etc.. is hidden.
No, that's the thing, I haven't plugged it into any computer since I got it. All I've done is plug it into the wall charger and leave it to charge yesterday till about 5am this morning.

-Socrates 469 BC

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by spinnukur View Post
Here's a problem I found while messing around most of the day with the N900 ( didn't get any work done today ).

If I click on 'Add Shortcut' then choose for ex. AP News, I'll automatically get a shortcut on my desktop, yet when I click on the shortcut because AP New's isn't downloaded on the phone it directs me to download the app. Once downloaded and automatically installed, I go back to the desktop only to find my shortcuts have now been replaced with the widget.

The whole point is saving the battery with the shortcut--yet if I double tap the desktop then 'add shortcut' and list will come up with the available shortcuts but AP New's isn't there anymore... I go into the phone, then into 'More' where AP New's was originally located, and nothing...the only way to get it back is by clicking on 'Add Widget' via the desktop. If I also go into the application manager, AP New's or any other app I've downloaded but deleted from the desktop is no longer available in the application manager, even though the app itself is still on the device.
Several of the apps pre-installed are only installers - when run, they'll just install the actual application. Once this is installed, the original app will disappear (as it's no longer relevant). The AP News app is obviously one of these. As for why you can only get it as a widget - that's all it is. There is no separate AP News app, it's the widget or nothing. If you don't want to use the widget (to save power) then all I can suggest is adding a web bookmark to the AP News site instead.

Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
Several of the apps pre-installed are only installers - when run, they'll just install the actual application. Once this is installed, the original app will disappear (as it's no longer relevant). The AP News app is obviously one of these. As for why you can only get it as a widget - that's all it is. There is no separate AP News app, it's the widget or nothing. If you don't want to use the widget (to save power) then all I can suggest is adding a web bookmark to the AP News site instead.

How is it though I had a shortcut from the beginning, if it's only the widget or nothing?

-Socrates 469 BC

The shortcut was to the installer for the widget. Once installed, you have widget but no need for installer anymore.

Tags
applications, desktop, downloads, n900, shortcuts