Posts: 383 | Thanked: 344 times | Joined on Jun 2013 @ Greece, Athens
I was thinking of getting a mobile phone instead as well, but with these money the only thing I can get is the galaxy s3 mini and I am not sure if it is worth it. I mean it is a 2 years old phone and I think that it will not be supported anymore by google. Furtermore, it has smaller screen and its hardware is not that good too.

This is why I chose to get a tablet...
Well even I am not really a big fan of Apple(never had an apple product, neither an android...), the iPad is a little more "overpriced" for me right now.

I had a note for 1month sold it preparing for an ipad or irtab.
Which one did you have??

How much is your budget?

I'd recommend the Moto G instead. And if you can afford it, the Nexus 5.
Have you heard of the OnePlus One? Great phone. You can even go secondhand.

PS What's your favourite screen size?

I'm flattered

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 535 | Thanked: 598 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Republic of the Philippines
@Kangal
This is the budget and the situation:
Originally Posted by bill_klpd View Post
Actually my dad has a discount from his mobile phone carrier and he told me to get whatever I want but the price needs to be at around 250-260 euros. (The discount is 220 euros..)
For the Nexus and the G Pad on the stores where we can have this discount they cost 300 euros and I will not be able to get them because of the price...
Use case and the size:
What I want to do with them:
  • surf the web/maybe some videocalls and chatting too(not that much)
  • dual boot(if possible) and try to do mods myself(and learn more things like this )
  • play games(maybe I will use it for trying some games I will try to make myself)
  • maybe do some painting/sketching

Actually I don't care that much about the size!
If you don't need a new phone, stick to the tablet. You don't have to pay for the telephony features so you'll get better specs for the price. You can also save some cash before making the purchase so you can get the better ones or negotiate with your dad. haha Get better grades or do some serious errands that will make your offer irresistible. Just make sure you can meet your end of the bargain.

Personally, I am really sold on the S Pen but I'd still put the G Pad 8.3 and the Nexus 7 on the list of choices.

The Following User Says Thank You to vetsin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vetsin View Post
If you don't need a new phone, stick to the tablet. You don't have to pay for the telephony features so you'll get better specs for the price.
This is why I am thinking of getting a tablet
I meen I could stay with my n900 for now and we will see after some time for a new phone!

Originally Posted by vetsin View Post
You can also save some cash before making the purchase so you can get the better ones or negotiate with your dad. haha Get better grades or do some serious errands that will make your offer irresistible. Just make sure you can meet your end of the bargain.
Well I will have to choose until tomorrow, so I don't have much time to get more money
As for the negotiation, I am on the last school year and I need to get good grades to go at the university, so it is not something that I can negotiate with... I must get good grades because it is for my own future

Neverming, back to topic..
My thought is to ask if the note 8 is available and if it is not, then choose one of the other two tablets! I don't really like the Galaxy S3 mini and I don't need a phone that much, so I will go with the tablet!

Kangal, as vetsin stated, I want a tablet -which is available in the store I will go(some stores here in Greece doesn't sell some great products)- that costs 260< euros!
I don't really care about the size

What bothers me about the 10.1 is the x86 processor! Will I have problems on installing or running apps from the app store, or anything will work just like in an arm processor?

The Following User Says Thank You to bill_klpd For This Useful Post:
So your budget is pretty much US$360 (260 Eu) or below.

If it HAS to be brand new:
1) The OnePlus One (no microSD) is only $349 for 64GB.
2) For 32GB its $299, but availability is "nonexsistant" for both.
The Nexus 5 (16GB) is 290 Euros in Greece, close enough to your budget.
The Moto G (16GB) can be had for ~$290.

If it does NOT have to be new:

3) Best to grab a "used but new" Nexus 5 (32GB).
From ebay its ~$270, add shipping with insurance... so that's ~$300.
4) Or even The Moto X (16GB) off ebay for ONLY $190
5) Used Moto X (32GB) goes for $260 (add ~$30 for international shipping and insurance).
6) A used Note 3 can go as little as $370, just think about it... its the best phone on the market.
7) SONY Z1 Compact is a very desirable device, but a lil dearer at $440 used

...those should be the first on your list. Since you want to dabble with coding a bit and want to even try making a game, I'd suggest Android first... iOS is not as "free".

But if you really want a TABLET, like I said:
Number 1) 32GB Wifi Black iPad Mini Retina (hands down king) - $400 (used) or $470 (new) + p/h
Number 2) iPad Air (for some reason the Mini really impresses me) - $490 (used) or $540 (new) + p/h
Number 3) iPad 4 (32GB Wifi Black) - $300 (used) or $490 (new) + p/h
Closing words:
Buy from ebay. Use PayPal. Get Shipping insurance (€22). Buy a used device. Shop aggressively.
Choose between the €195 Nexus 5 (32GB) or €215 iPad 4 (Wifi 32GB)... otherwise get more funds.

I'd be personally disappointed if you didn't get one of those two, but the other options I listed above are good too.

I'm flattered

Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
So your budget is pretty much US$360 (260 Eu) or below.

If it HAS to be brand new:
1) The OnePlus One (no microSD) is only $349 for 64GB.
2) For 32GB its $299, but availability is "nonexsistant" for both.
The Nexus 5 (16GB) is 290 Euros in Greece, close enough to your budget.
The Moto G (16GB) can be had for ~$290.

If it does NOT have to be new:

3) Best to grab a "used but new" Nexus 5 (32GB).
From ebay its ~$270, add shipping with insurance... so that's ~$300.
4) Or even The Moto X (16GB) off ebay for ONLY $190
5) Used Moto X (32GB) goes for $260 (add ~$30 for international shipping and insurance).
6) A used Note 3 can go as little as $370, just think about it... its the best phone on the market.
7) SONY Z1 Compact is a very desirable device, but a lil dearer at $440 used

...those should be the first on your list. Since you want to dabble with coding a bit and want to even try making a game, I'd suggest Android first... iOS is not as "free".

But if you really want a TABLET, like I said:
Number 1) 32GB Wifi Black iPad Mini Retina (hands down king) - $400 (used) or $470 (new) + p/h
Number 2) iPad Air (for some reason the Mini really impresses me) - $490 (used) or $540 (new) + p/h
Number 3) iPad 4 (32GB Wifi Black) - $300 (used) or $490 (new) + p/h
Closing words:
Buy from ebay. Use PayPal. Get Shipping insurance (€22). Buy a used device. Shop aggressively.
Choose between the €195 Nexus 5 (32GB) or €215 iPad 4 (Wifi 32GB)... otherwise get more funds.

I'd be personally disappointed if you didn't get one of those two, but the other options I listed above are good too.
Well I can't buy from ebay, as the main reason I am getting a new device is because I have a 220 euros discount and I can only get any device I want from specific stores...

So I can't get used products...

As for the brand new:
The OnePlus One, Nexus 5 and the Moto G are not available(as I said these are some of the products that should be available) and the ipad mini costs around 319 euros so, not possible to get it

Oh really? Underage?
Don't have any relatives or family that has an ebay and PayPal account?
Trust me, its the best way... you'd be doing yourself a favour.

By the way, heard of the Nvidia Shield?
It lasts for ages, very powerful, its also the ultimate portable gaming console.
I saw it used for about $150, and brand new for $200.

Say, can you use Amazon?
There's some good deals on there, but not as competitive as ebay obviously.

I'm flattered

Oh really? Underage?
Don't have any relatives or family that has an ebay and PayPal account?
Trust me, its the best way... you'd be doing yourself a favour.

By the way, heard of the Nvidia Shield?
It lasts for ages, very powerful, its also the ultimate portable gaming console.
I saw it used for about $150, and brand new for $200.

Say, can you use Amazon?
There's some good deals on there, but not as competitive as ebay obviously.
well I had a friend with an ebay account(I had bought my rgh chip and a case for my n900 ), but the problem here is that I can't use any of those... The reason is that I have to go to some specific stores because the discount is from the mobile phone carrier my dad uses.

Nvidia Shield? Never heard of that :P
But I searched on the stores' sites I talk about and it is not available as well...
About gaming I was thinking about getting a vita if possible instead of a tablet/phone(maybe do some hardware mods on it, I loved those on my old phat one ), but I don't think that I want only a gaming device.

After all, do you think that the Galaxy Tab 3 10.1/8 is just a waste of money? Will not be that good?
What is your opinion about the note 8?

To me, they are a waste of money.
They're just not good products, and they're hard to fit into your life.

The reason being is that Android plays much better on phones at the same price. Its not worth having a dumbphone and Android tablet... much better to put all that into a decent Android smartphone.

But if it has to be a tablet, iPad is the only way to go.

I've tried pretty much all the Android tablets and most Windows 8 tablets... nope.

Personally I prefer a good Android smartphone + Windows7 Ultrabook combo. I could fit in iPad use, but I choose not to.

Since you're being vague, just tell us all the options you have available. What phones or tablets can you get through the store thingy?

Another suggestion is to get whatever has the highest value, sell it, use that money to get something better for you.

PS read up about the nvidia Shield, better than a Vita maybe.

I'm flattered

To me, they are a waste of money.
They're just not good products, and they're hard to fit into your life.

The reason being is that Android plays much better on phones at the same price. Its not worth having a dumbphone and Android tablet... much better to put all that into a decent Android smartphone.

But if it has to be a tablet, iPad is the only way to go.

I've tried pretty much all the Android tablets and most Windows 8 tablets... nope.

Personally I prefer a good Android smartphone + Windows7 Ultrabook combo. I could fit in iPad use, but I choose not to.

Since you're being vague, just tell us all the options you have available. What phones or tablets can you get through the store thingy?

Another suggestion is to get whatever has the highest value, sell it, use that money to get something better for you.

PS read up about the nvidia Shield, better than a Vita maybe.
What options I have right now:
Phones:
HTC Desire 310
Samsung Galaxy Core
Samsung Galaxy S3 mini
HTC Desire 500(I don't really like its design)

Tablets:
Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7"
Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8"
Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1"
Samsung Galaxy Note 8(if available)