Posts: 323 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Gent, Belgium
Hi,
I'm trying to connect my N900 to the IBM Power9 network via Wifi.
IBM internally uses the LEAP-WPA2 protocol and whatever I try (as this specific combination is not standard available in the N900 wifi connection software), it doesn't work.

On my Ubuntu laptop, running the Wicd connection manager, I had to add this Wicd profile template file to get it working, so something similar I need for Maemo5/N900 :

Code:
name = WPA2-LEAP
author =
version = 1
require username *Username password *Password
-----
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
network={
    ssid="$_ESSID"
    scan_ssid=$_SCAN
    auth_alg=LEAP
    key_mgmt=WPA-EAP
    proto=WPA2
    pairwise=CCMP TKIP
    group=CCMP TKIP
    eap=LEAP
    identity="$_USERNAME"
    password="$_PASSWORD"
}
Anyone have an idea to implement something similar on the N900 ? Or would I be better of firing of a bug report ?

I've been seaching through t.m.o. but I've not found any recent or successfull info.

Thanks,
Geert

I just tried this today also on my N900. I think the alternative is to change all your devices to use EAP-TLS + certificate, but I'd rather get LEAP on the N900. Hopefully it's possible now or in the near future.

The Following User Says Thank You to wtf For This Useful Post:
Thanks for trying.
But I guess I'll have hard time convincing IBM (my employer) to change their WiFi authentication techniques worldwide because I'm the lucky owner of an N900 and I would love to use it on their oh-so-precious network

I'll raise a bug for it, maybe we can get some support from people seeing the value of more business networking support.

I work at IBM US. Are you sure your site doesn't do EAP-TLS? Supposedly a given ID can only use one protocol though.

I just got my N900 and was trying it out for the first time. I had never tried to connect with my 770 or 810, but someone said they had their IPhone working. I wish we just had a secondary network for external wireless access.

I tried it and could not get it to work either. If you happen to be at an office that has the Visitor network available, jump on that and use intranet id/pwd when prompted at the first web page you open.

Did any of you submit a bug for this? Ill vote if you did. Id love to see this working so I dont have to vpn while in the building to get access to internal sites...sorta backwards.

Done. https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7034

Please vote it up so it gets some attention.

Thanks for raising it.

Have voted - only takes a couple of minutes, even if you have to register an account.

I've voted for it as well.

I've actually switched to using EAP-TLS in the last few days. I've got my linux system working with that and this morning I also tried on my N800 and it works well too. I haven't been able to get it to work on the N900. Any of you guys have managed to make it work (since this seems to be an IBM wireless thread )?

I still have to review both the N800 and N900 dmesg outputs and see if I can see any obvious problems because I've configured both in the same way. Do you know if there is any other logs I could look at or enable to obtain further details?

Posts: 529 | Thanked: 262 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Eastleigh, Hampshire, UK
Originally Posted by joseg View Post
I've voted for it as well.

I've actually switched to using EAP-TLS in the last few days. I've got my linux system working with that and this morning I also tried on my N800 and it works well too. I haven't been able to get it to work on the N900. Any of you guys have managed to make it work (since this seems to be an IBM wireless thread )?

I still have to review both the N800 and N900 dmesg outputs and see if I can see any obvious problems because I've configured both in the same way. Do you know if there is any other logs I could look at or enable to obtain further details?
which linux? my ubuntu doesn't want to play with EAP-TLS, if you happen to have some useful instructions that would be cool

edit: BTW I voted for the bug, but I also included a link to the last time I raised this issue for the n810 ;-(
Check out Witter, a twitter client for N900
http://danielwould.wordpress.com/witter

If Witter isn't working for you, eg crashes/doesn't start, gives errors etc etc. Please run it from x-term using:
run-standalone.sh python2.5 /opt/witter/witter.py

This will generate diagnostic output. Without this I cannot help you.

Last edited by dwould; 2009-12-16 at 15:14.