Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
https://ubports.com/blog/ubport-blog...ch-q-a-88-3729

With (just a little bit more) patience and more news will come.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 155 | Thanked: 309 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ The Netherlands
@chenliangchen, thanks for the update!
I'm just hyped to try it out so don't mind me

Are there any plans for a mainline kernel?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to n900user259 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 90 | Thanked: 580 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Belgium
Not directly relevant to the -X variant, but this seems as good a place as any to spam my review of the Pro1 featuring @mosen and @Kabouik https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXDkbUzGthw

Last edited by netman; 2020-11-12 at 21:29.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to netman For This Useful Post:
Could we hope that the F(x)tec Pro1 and Pro1X will get a long support from LineageOS (and maybe other platforms) like in maybe a few years (5-6-7)?
I am sick of devices that you buy, you flash with LineageOS (in my case) and after a few months or a year the support is not there anymore.
I am looking to replace my Samsung Galaxy S7 which lost LineageOS support a long time ago and I am reluctant in choosing a new model as I don't want to keep it only a year or 2 (my S7 is still working really well and it is fulfilling my needs so I wouldn't have to change it if it had proper OS/software support).
F(x)tec phone has a lot of cons but the most important one for me would be proper support from a community (like in many many years) and it would be a dream to have Maemo Leste on it.
Waiting also for a stable release of the Pinephone (even if it seems to be a long way until we reach that).

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Malakai For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
I don't think anyone at TMO needs proof that a hardware keyboard is convenient, but we never know.

With: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx0lvGAdzsg

Without: https://youtu.be/FBslv1aNZ_c

The attachments show how both videos were unloaded from the camera, encoded using ffmpeg and uploaded using the Pro1. I wanted to check how feasible it would be. Turns out it was not bad, encoded at 0.330 to 0.600x.

Attached Images

Last edited by Kabouik; 2020-11-14 at 18:36.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
I don't know much about LineageOS Malakai, but my guess is the Pro1 being quite unique, chances are good that the LineageOS maintainers will keep supporting it for as long as they can, at least until a better replacement exists, and I don't see any in the near future (the Pro1x is basically the same device with more storage, RAM and a different layout, they'll both run the same rom). Just like how the N900 stayed afloat for years with CSSU and now Leste to replace closed source bits because there was no alternative.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Malakai View Post
Could we hope that the F(x)tec Pro1 and Pro1X will get a long support from LineageOS (and maybe other platforms) like in maybe a few years (5-6-7)?
I'm really not worried about this because of the enthousiasm from the community that we've seen so far. There's enough people that can't live without a hardware keyboard that software being maintained is basically guaranteed for the coming half a decade and maybe more.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to netman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 253 | Thanked: 1,007 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Near Munich
Thanks to netmans awesome and detailed review I now really want to get a Pro 1 X. Sometimes Android Apps are necessary and my Droid 4 struggles with Android 7. The possibilities with Sailfish or in the future maybe even Leste are intriguing.

I am on the verge of contributing, but two things are still holding me back:
- My own rule: Never preorder, however as the Pro1 is out there I may ignore it, The product is there, Its just a long delivery time
- The amount of people who still haven't got their Pro 1, e.g. in this thread

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Macros For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Macros View Post
- My own rule: Never preorder, however as the Pro1 is out there I may ignore it, The product is there, Its just a long delivery time
I also live by this rule normally, especially since most pre-order products simply don't exist yet when pre-ordering, including the Pro1 when I went and ordered one :P.

But when specs and pictures where shown, away with my rules because whoaaaa... I wouldn't forgive myself if I'd missed out on this one and absolute worst case it was supporting an attempt to bring a dream I share to reality. Also @chenliangchen has a good enough track record that I have no doubts about legitimacy.

The wait is real though thus far, fxtec seems to have chosen the exact time when the world goes on fire to start out xD. If there are no new brexits, pandemics or other calamities of those proportions they'll have an easier time and I think we can expect much faster delivery .

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to netman For This Useful Post:
I weakened, and sprung for a Pro1-X (and was lucky enough to get into the super early bird batch). After watching the Linux for Everyone interview I'm glad that I did

And as for this......

Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
I don't think anyone at TMO needs proof that a hardware keyboard is convenient, but we never know.

With: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx0lvGAdzsg
.... I never owned a Nokia communicator, but this video made me feel really nostalgic: that is exactly how I used to type on my now-defunct Sharp Zaurus CL-760 Can't wait!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pacman For This Useful Post:

Tags
expectations