Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Pheeww, that was kind of a bit translation work

This month theme is coming in some minutes since nonsuch has not taken the initiative until now.

Code:
    125 g   white chocolate coating
     60 g   butter
    125 g   firm biscuits e.g. muesli biscuits
    250 g   fresh raspberries plus a few to garnish
    8       white gelatine sheets
    150 g   icing sugar
    350 g   cream cheese reduced fat
    250 g   quark 20 % fat
    1       pinch of ground vanilla
    3       tablespoons lemon juice
    200 g   whipped cream

besides:
    Springform pan with 24 cm diameter
Line the springform pan with baking paper. For the dough, chop the chocolate coating, cut the butter into pieces and melt both together in a metal bowl over a warm water bath. Put the biscuits into a freezer bag and crumble them finely in it. Mix them with the chocolate butter and spread them with a tablespoon on the bottom of the mould and press them firmly. Spread 150 g raspberries (pat dry well!) on the cake base.

For the topping, soak gelatine in cold water. Puree 100 g raspberries with 25 g icing sugar and pass through a fine sieve. Mix cream cheese and quark with the remaining icing sugar and vanilla until smooth. Heat 1 tbsp. lemon juice in a small pot. Squeeze 2 gelatine leaves dripping wet and dissolve them in it. Stir the raspberry puree into the gelatine.

Heat the rest of the lemon juice in another pot, squeeze out the remaining gelatine soaking wet and dissolve in it. Stir in a little cheese-quark cream, then stir this mixture into the rest of the mixture. Whip the cream until stiff and fold in.

Spread the cheese-quark-cream on the base and smooth it down, spread the liquid raspberry puree in a circle with a spoon and swirl it gently with the cheese mixture with a fork. Chill the cake in the mould for at least 5 hours.

Remove the cheesecake from the mould and decorate with raspberries.

TIP: Passing fruit can be annoying, but the fine fruit pulp is a real treat. It's fun with a Flotte Lotte - just crank it a few times, then annoying pips and the like are a thing of the past.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 71 | Thanked: 456 times | Joined on Jan 2017 @ Portugal
Hey thanks for the cake recipe

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to john_god For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
The great part of TMO is... You can learn how to make a cake here!

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the votes, folks! Makes me happy.
Thanks for mosen for stepping in, too!
I never thought I'd win, maybe I'd've logged in earlier.
Was very busy with my other computers recently, still am.

And sadly I missed the Koronakatu/kuja mention - according to my filesystem, I took this photo on March 31st already:

Yes, couldn't resist spicing it up a little

So, some of you are just around the corner...?

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nonsuch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 237 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Mittelfranken, Germany
I can tell, that an 8 year old can do some cooking as well. Mostly by a cooking book for children, but he's already doing more than just pancakes and crêpes. And my 6yr old is doing muffins and cookies under supervision of me or my wife. They can work with the stove well and need only some help with oven.

And I am late for both, an entry and voting

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Amboss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by Amboss View Post
I can tell, that an 8 year old can do some cooking as well. Mostly by a cooking book for children, but he's already doing more than just pancakes and crêpes. And my 6yr old is doing muffins and cookies under supervision of me or my wife. They can work with the stove well and need only some help with oven.

And I am late for both, an entry and voting
On the risk of sounding negative towards this touching story, do they learn how to cook real foods apart from the USA culture sweets?
At 6 yrs old I was "forced" to do more kitchen help involving touching (washing single raw ingredients) beyond entertainment cooking.
Appreciate raw single ingredients vs processed and industry packaged is a means of surviving...and an obligation to every parent that has the means.
"Research" shows that early growth years are very important - no surprise here.. ("Missing Microbes" book for example reference for interesting perspectives on why "kids" grow bigger , not better)
That said I liked the Covid cake showing up for its touch of defiance: both of the Covid thing & the need to all over sudden start to think about boosting our immunity after years of neglect and dependence on medicine to fix the problem..

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
^^^ THIS!

I spent many a summer at my grandparent's place. I grew up in an apartment block in a small town, but my grandparents lived in a house with a huge garden. They had chickens and rabbits and, when I was just a wee squirt, pigs. I picked fresh eggs every morning. I learned how to kill, skin and gut a rabbit. I still have fond memories of those days.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
I saw someone asking on another forum, re covid19 stockpiling: how is it that people buy so much flour? Are they planning to bake cakes all day?
Some people do not see the ability to cook food from simple, basic ingredients as a basic ("survival") skill anymore.

Then, I'm not sure you meant this, but when I cook with kids I always give them unwashed ingredients. To do it from zero so to speak, washing them first, then cutting etc.

BTW, pancakes are not a "USA culture sweet". Very common all over Europe, and they can be salty, too.
That said, making the batter is only part of the work. Making an actual good pancake from it is a solid achievement for an 8-year-old!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nonsuch For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Since the hoarding topic came up quite often here (at least in small talk), i would like to offer a sane explanation that does not involve stupid selfish fellows as the root cause of things missing in the supermarket.

A well known fact is that people usually spend 1/4 to 1/3 of their time at workplace where they use the sanitary.
During lockdown people s**t at home and even a 1/5 or 1/6 increase of demand in toilet paper made it disappear from the shelfs since it is the single largest item in stores and had a very sophisticated size to demand ratio to not cost too much storage space compared to the low cost/big size.
Granted, at some point when it got obvious there will be a shortage in supply, some people overreacted, but those where not the root cause but a symptom of temporary shortage.

An estimated 40% of meals had been consumed either in restaurants or at workplace offerings.
People still continue to eat for some reason but now have to cook for themselves and get much more stuff per person from supermarkets etc.

Since what you see in shelves is only a small part of "food logistics", i would like to remind that most of our food is on the road in "Just-in-time" Trucks always filled to the brim.
It is just not possible to suddenly have more items in store from one week to the other since there is no additional capacity available to deliver it.

So from my estimate, the missing products where either the most popular (everyone can cook noodles, right) or those with the longest time to replace like flour and yeast. Those have long shelf life and are usually not requested that often.
Now everyone is at home doing cakes

And yes, the few idiots with carts filled up with a late giant prepper assortments exist.
But real preppers did help the system because they never had to go out for TP or noodles since even government advice is to have them in stock for 2-4 weeks supply...

Sorry for the long post, but i got especially triggert by my local mayor stating "If anything is missing in the supermarket, it is due to someone having bought more than he/she needed"
Nooo, it is a systematic effect that no buyer or supplier has a fault in, but politicians not understanding they are not steering a speed boat but a literal oil tank(er).

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA

Since we're on the subject . . . speaking of kids and pasta, here's the kids' creation from today's Cooking with Grandma on Zoom. Yes, I did have to help them drop the spaghetti in the pot and drain the boiling pot afterwards, because I'm not totally sure they're gonna be ready for adulthood. But they mostly handled the dying process themselves. And obnoxiously artificial it is! A rainbow of probably -- but not absolutely certainly -- safe food additives!

Ultimately, the bowl was a melange of melted butter, a few herbs, Parmesan cheese, and a round of microwave reheating for dinner.

And BTW, re: toilet paper . . .

I saw a reporter -- Washington Post, I think -- interviewed about TP shortages in the US. It turns out problems here aren't consumer panic either, but actual circumstances. The institutional market -- businesses, schools, government, etc. -- has a completely separate supply chain from the residential market. Totally separate factories, distributors, etc. Even the packaging is so different that you can't just slipstream product from one chain into another. My wife was shopping at Costco warehouse store (using healthcare worker privilege for fast(er) entry) and found the giant institutional rolls available, but of course not really useful for the home except for respooling on residential sized cores.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post: