I'm looking to buy an internet tablet this week. I'm thinking about buying a 770 as it seems to do most of the things i need and i can buy it from TigerDirect for less than $140 but i still have a few doubts that i hope you can help me with...

- How good does the 770 handles big PDFs? Most of the articles i need are bellow 1mb but some books are around 5mb, would the 770 have problems with these? how about the n800?

- My digital camera is 6mp, i would like to use the tablet for quick reviews of pictures at full size, i don't expect to edit them, but i want to be able to see them and upload them.

- (related to the previous question) Is it possible to just insert a card used in my camera in the tablet without any special format and vice versa? (i 'm new to Linux).

- Would Minimo handle Google Apps (Notebook, Documents)? i asume this is possible since it has the Mozilla engine but i want to be sure.

- Finally, would any one be willing to sell me a n800 for less than $300?

Thanks!

Posts: 238 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on May 2006 @ New Mexico, USA
Just suck it up and buy an 800...

also make sure your camera uses SD cards...

Regards...
Omega

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
Well, if the reviewing of images is not that important then 770 would suffice. 770 only accepts rs mmc cards and your camera probably uses sd, so that's why you need n800 (as that supports sd cards).

Thanks for your answers.

My camera is a Pentax K110d, is compatible with SD and MMC, so as long as i have the right adapter it should accept the RS-MMC card. While reviewing the images is important, i'm not sure if i'm willing to pay +$200 for that, PDF and compatibility with Google Apps are far more important.

The price difference is important for me at this point, i could afford the m800 but i would preffer to save the $200, unless i have to.

I personally bought the 770. I like it but the N800 is nice. I have mortage payments so I could not afford the 400.00 to buy one. Pending on what you do the 770 might suffice. I use mine as a PDA like.

@ Mraya

I have both the 770 and the N800, and can safely say that the added processor speed, extra memory, and sd (vs. mmc) memory card slots (note the plural) make the N800 the far more capable device. If you are interested in AJAX, the new Mozilla-based browser is more capable than Minimo, and new innovations are always around the corner. For a bit more money, you'll have a device that is more capable, more stable, and is currently manufactured. This is not to say that the 770 isn't a great device as well, but the N800 seems to come with less headaches.

With regards to the 770, I absolutely love the integrated cover, running Maemo Mapper with my bluetooth GPS, and light web-browsing. It works great as a e-book reader (FB Reader), and is a capable entertainment device. Both are very interesting devices, infinitely customizable, and fun to work and play with. Browse around this site and decide for yourself...

I had an N800 and then bought the 770.

For simple browsing the 770 is the way to go. Not sure about Google Apps but PDF's and regular web browsing on the 770 is great.

I've actually liked the browser experience on the 770 better than on the N800. N800 is improving but one big hole I've had is that mailto: links for some reason don't always like to work on the N800 but do on the 770 just fine.

The other great thing on the 770 is the hard-case if you plan to carry it around with you.

The N800 is okay at looking at pictures (slow on very large jpegs) but can take a while when they are large. This is worse on the 770.

I've opened 22MB PDF's on my N800 and it only seems to read a page at a time so should be good to go on anything that will fit on it.

If you want to go with more things to do down the road - get the N800 but if you want to do the basics and don't expect to do more down the road - go with the 770.

Keep in mind that the 770 isn't really "supported" all that well any more so what it can do - it does well but I wouldn't expect a lot of new stuff coming down the tunnel for it like on the N800.

Nokia 770 requires a fair amount of hand holding and reading of the Maemo.org website to take full advantage of the product

i've got both now.

the 770 for about 130$ is a pretty good deal. if you just want to use it for the limited usage of browsing the web and listening to internet radio, it works fine. I got it paired with my bluetooth phone for mobile usage. I am little disappointed that I can;t seem to find high capacity RS-MMC cards as readily. seems like 2 gb is the max. there must have been a reason why they changed it. however, as a basic unit, it works as advertised.

get the N800 if you want a device that might be a little more future proof and more flexible. you can use bigger SD cards. the processor is better. there should be new software coming out soon to take advantage of it;s capabilities.

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Phoenix
I just purchased my n800 for a total of $360 (including 2nd day shipping) Where? Circuit City... They are selling them for $359.99, plus there is a 10% off coupon, dropping the price to $323.99. Shipping and taxes, my final purchase price was $360.84

10% off online orders over $199 at CircuitCity.com