Received my N900 today and the learning is apples to oranges compared to my former 3GS.

How many of you members happy with the AT&T edge connection?
For the last 6 hours of operation this has been the only major downfall of this unit. I have no standard of measurement but I would "assume" something like 60/KBS down? No free wifi is this neck of the woods.

I use AT&T. It is slow on the edge network, but I live in the SIlicon Valley where there is loads of free WiFi. So I hardly ever use Edge for data.

Not having used EDGE regularly, I'm not running into any issue with sluggishness. Can't hit up Youtube or do skype/HQ streaming, but I can do chat, e-mail, and low-impact browsing.

Thanks for the input...paying AT&T big monthly $ for a data plan and little in return makes one not happy. I understand it's not the phone carrier's issue.

I assume this is a hardware issue?

The N900 only supports the European 3G frequencies, which means only T-Mobile can deliver 3G to the N900.

I'm still on my cheaper $15/mo data plan, instead of the overpriced $30/mo plan.

Posts: 68 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Chicago
I am using AT&T in Chicago on EDGE and, to be honest, it's not terrible. It takes a while but for the basic stuff from home to work I don't miss it. When we're out driving and need GPS and Maps and ... well, then it's a little slow. Just depends what you're going to use it for. I haven't been able to justify jumping to T-Mobile and breaking my AT&T contract for it. But, if it were up tomorrow, I'd switch.

Posts: 99 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Ecuador
its not even a hardware failure, the frecuencies that works 3g in n900 is only for t-mobile in usa, if u wanna 3g speeds u must change carrier, now im runnig in a edge connection in south america and its pretty usable for IM and Mail, and light browsing, the max speed that u can get into a edge network is 240 kbps or 28 KB, so its slow if u are used to high speeds

Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
Originally Posted by mdanehart View Post
Received my N900 today and the learning is apples to oranges compared to my former 3GS.

How many of you members happy with the AT&T edge connection?
For the last 6 hours of operation this has been the only major downfall of this unit. I have no standard of measurement but I would "assume" something like 60/KBS down? No free wifi is this neck of the woods.
I think you have the wrong B there. 60 KB/sec would be 1/3 of a T-1 circuit. I think you menat 60 Kb/sec. Which is closer to what I get.

I just ran "Speedy" on ATT and got pretty much 10 KB/sec, which is about 80 Kb/sec.

I ran it on my WiFi and got about 220 KB/sec.

Les_Garten...Opps! you ok..Thanks

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
I also use AT&T, but I bought the N900 knowing that almost anywhere I need high speed I would have it through Wifi. Home, work, and all the local restaurants have wifi for customers, so why would I want to pay an extra $30/month for it? For most things I do outside of that (IM and maybe light browsing) Edge is slow, but quite usable.

If you really want 3G, look into TMoble in your area? N900 supports 3G in their network.