Posts: 919 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ /dev/null
Originally Posted by Keyser.Soze View Post
It's my second week of owning the N800 and as much as l have grown to love it, I was a bit reluctant to try the bootmenu procedure because I haven't used Linux in so many years. After flashing the N800 with the latest OS that came out over the weekend, I finally spent some time last night to get it to boot from mmc. I used a Sandisk Ultra II 2GB card and followed the instructions. It took a while but it worked like a charm after the reboot. Now I have more than 1GB of free memory to use and it boots up fast! Faster than from flash as I remembered. The Sandisk Ultra II is not the fastest card around (I think around 60X or a bit more than that) and it's already giving me pretty impressive performance. I can imagine how it would be like using a 150X card.
Is FAST!!! I cean hear it roaring!
LOL JJ :P
Any wais the bar goes about half way and the OS starts is ok...

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Beijing, China
Encountered the first problem since booting from mmc. The Application manager can't seem to refresh the application list now. When I launch the application manager I get a pop-up error saying "Operation failed". If I manually refresh the package list, it will give me "Unable to refresh list. Last refreshed list is shown."

Any suggestions? Can I restore partially from a previous backup?

BTW I booted from flash and the application manager works fine there.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Update: I tried "apt-get update" and got the following error:

E: Malformed line 21 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list (dist parse)

Update 2: I booted from flash, and copied the sources.list to the external SD card. Then I booted back to mmc and overwrote the file with the one I just copied to the SD card. Seems to be ok now.

Last edited by Keyser.Soze; 2007-03-28 at 10:15.

I'm stuck trying to get the new initfs flashed onto my N800.

I downloaded initfs_flasher.tgz on my SD card, opened up Osso-Xterm and unpacked the archive (initfs_flasher.tgz), changed to the initfs_flasher directory and tried to run the initfs_flash script but it gives me a Permission Denied error. So I did a "sudo gainroot," verified I was root, and got the same error. After that, I installed Dropbear server, SSHed in as root, ran the script again, and got "Permission Denied" again.

The only time I get a different result is when I just type "sudo ./initfs_flash" and no error message occurs, just a command prompt.

Am I doing something wrong? From what I gather, I've followed all the directions 100%.

It seems as though just typing "./" is causing the problem - I'm using the built in Busybox (v1.1.3) shell, is that correct? I've looked around and haven't found any information that says a different shell is necessary.

Last edited by jcostantino; 2007-03-28 at 16:40.

Posts: 919 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ /dev/null
First make sure you are running it in the user directory like /home/user/MyDocs/.documents/initfs_flasher and not your mmc... You can not run applications from mmc... If you are still having the problem do from xterm...

chmod +x initfs_flash

And no you dont need a different shell

Doh, that's just me being stupid... can't run things from FAT partitions... I'd imagine this will work when I try it after lunch.

Originally Posted by SeRi@lDiE View Post
First make sure you are running it in the user directory like /home/user/MyDocs/.documents/initfs_flasher and not your mmc... You can not run applications from mmc... If you are still having the problem do from xterm...

chmod +x initfs_flash

And no you dont need a different shell

Ok, after many pitfalls and my own personal Linux ignorance, I think I'm on my way here...

I had to really dig for this information, I think it should be added into the first post in this thread since it is VERY relevant:

Where the directions say "insmod /mnt/initfs/lib/modules/current/ext2.ko" I had to do the following:

a. insmod /mnt/initfs/lib/modules/2.6.18-omap1/mbcache.ko
b. insmod /mnt/initfs/lib/modules/2.6.18-omap1/ext2.ko

I screwed up and used the BusyBox tar instead of GNU tar. I got all the way through the copying of my almost full flash and got the reboot cycle, The GNU tar seems to be working better since the paths are in some cases two full terminal lines long.

I would never have done this if there wasn't an SSH client available! I love the N800, it's a great little piece of hardware - but it is miserable for text entry!

I made a swap partition when I did my SD card partitioning - is there a procedure to use that instead of the FAT partition? I sacrificed the size of the FAT volume (512) for my ext2 partition (the balance of 2 gb) and figured it would be good to use a swap partition instead of a swap file.

It's nice to see 826 megs free. Plus, it seems that Flash Video runs faster!

I also had to resolve this issue when I myself performed this function, as I pointed out earlier in this thread:

[QUOTE= Where the directions say "insmod /mnt/initfs/lib/modules/current/ext2.ko" I had to do the following:

a. insmod /mnt/initfs/lib/modules/2.6.18-omap1/mbcache.ko
b. insmod /mnt/initfs/lib/modules/2.6.18-omap1/ext2.ko [/QUOTE]

However, to give credit to Fanoush, he pointed out that this might be necessary in his Partitioning wiki (cited in his Root/MMC wiki). This was apparently before he himself had a N800 and he wasn't certain if this would be required (as it was). I expect it might be useful for someone now to correct both wiki's, to save those who come after us the trouble of sorting it out afresh.

I do believe your post is where I got the information from, just figured I'd repeat it to make it more likely to be seen.

I'm amazed that this tiny little thing can actually run KDE! I had to leave it at work because I was tired of looking at it today when I left, it was booting into the K desktop.

I was really nervous that I'd screw something up when reflashing the bootloader but everything came out great and I only had a couple minor "do-overs" to deal with. This forum is a huge help, especially since my Linux knowledge is the bare minimum! It amazes me that such a tiny device can do so much!

Originally Posted by ascherjim View Post
I also had to resolve this issue when I myself performed this function, as I pointed out earlier in this thread:

However, to give credit to Fanoush, he pointed out that this might be necessary in his Partitioning wiki (cited in his Root/MMC wiki). This was apparently before he himself had a N800 and he wasn't certain if this would be required (as it was). I expect it might be useful for someone now to correct both wiki's, to save those who come after us the trouble of sorting it out afresh.

If you should find you have any trouble loading KDE, obviously refer to this site under Apps: KDE 3.5.6 Available. Good luck. Regards, Jim

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by ascherjim View Post
I think it is third time I'm mentioning this but this is a wiki so anyone can edit it and anyone in fact does. Two times before I also explained how to see who added what to the wiki so one can give proper credit if he wants. The sentence about mbcache and n800 in http://maemo.org/maemowiki/HowTo_BootRootFSFromMMC is not mine so the credit should go to someone else. Also feel free to fix it if you feel something is not clear enough and you know how to make it more clear. In fact this is what Sebastian did with his 'EASILY' guides like this http://maemo.org/maemowiki/HowTo_EAS..._From_MMC_card (also not mine :-).