Posts: 259 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Halifax, NS
Yeah, I kinda thought open source would be more... you know... open.

(Here's where someone points me to the unusable Fremantle source...)

I was intrigued by the Mer reference the other day... http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo_Reconstructed It sounds waaaaay more interesting and useful than Paymantle.

The Following User Says Thank You to BoxOfSnoo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 357 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Sunny England :)
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Don't compare the desktop market to the embedded one, they aren't even remotely similar (do you get OS upgrades with WinMob or Palm? . . .). Let's see what Apple does when they actually have a generational upgrade that's more than just slapping a GPS and a 3G modem on a generation 1 iPhone. . . .
Who said anything about the desktop market? I ran winmo devices for about 3 years before I moved to maemo, partially in a desire to move away from the MS way of doing things. And yes, you do get OS upgrades for winmo, my Motorola Q9 has been upgraded (officially) from winmo 5 to 6, then to 6.1

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
fpp,

if i had a 770 in my hands I would do my best to get liqbase working on it.
I simply cannot fly blind and do not know what problems need overcoming.
(though I do have a runlog someone sent me, but its still not quite the same)

Last edited by lcuk; 2008-11-27 at 19:17. Reason: fixed 770 to stop GAN moaning at me mentioning "n770" ... :P

Posts: 301 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Santiago, Chile
at least they shouldn't close the bugs. if they wanna put freematle and be done, ok. but only close them when there is ACTUALLY a Freemantle.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eliagp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by BoxOfSnoo View Post
Yeah, I kinda thought open source would be more... you know... open.
Open doesn't have anything to do with officially supporting certain hardware. What open does do is enable the community to step up and provide that support.

(Here's where someone points me to the unusable Fremantle source...)
Same place as the Diablo sources.

I was intrigued by the Mer reference the other day... http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo_Reconstructed It sounds waaaaay more interesting and useful than Paymantle.
Paymantle . . . clever. Mer is actually using a lot of the current Fremantle sources.

My own vision is to use Mer as a base for a Fremantle backport to OMAP2 hardware, and why would that even be possible? Because of Nokia's openness.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
We know that there will be OpenGL acceleration in Fremantle. We also know that we have no drivers for our graphics hardware (PowerVR).

If we want a backport, the community really needs to be working on an optimized software OpenGL renderer for our devices, in order to be ready for the community backport that will be required next spring. I know we could squeeze better performance out of the Mesa software renderer, it just requires some low-level programmer types to get in there and make it happen.

I've said it before; the liqbase speed hacks would probably really help us here.

Posts: 259 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Halifax, NS
Originally Posted by pixelseventy2 View Post
At least with microsoft/apple you know that they're going to shaft you up-front (not that I'd EVER buy an apple product).
Apple supports their OS on their hardware for quite a long time, you know. Leopard works on old PPC Macs from around 2002 (and can be hacked on to older ones). I don't know what kinda shaft you're talking about...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BoxOfSnoo For This Useful Post:
All this talk about the community back-porting fremantle doesn't help with the fact that nokia/maemo are closing bugs raised against chinook/diablo as fixed, when they are only fixed in firmware that won't be available on the hardware of the reporter.

"We've fixed the problem with your car, you just need to buy a new car to get the fix"

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
yes qole, we need something.
but neither I nor qwerty could get a fully buildable opengl stack together to start hacking from.
I managed to get the binaries up and running, but that really doesn't help.

Apple supports their OS on their hardware for quite a long time, you know. Leopard works on old PPC Macs from around 2002 (and can be hacked on to older ones). I don't know what kinda shaft you're talking about...
Having to use Mac OS in the first place isn't being shafted enough? The way Jobs treats the fan-boys (who lap it up) looks like a good, hard shafting to me.

Tags
firmware, fremantle, rant