Notices

hi everyone i would like to post the video and audio setting for converting video for N900
i have spent much time to convert any kind of video to try to obtain this setting for a good quality movie.
You can use any kind of Audio-Video Converter 'under windows' with some advanced setting.
For MAC user there is a good free software called "Kigo Video Converter", simple to use, can convert in good time every kind of video.

Video:
Codec mpeg4 or H.264
Video Size: 800x480
Video Bitrate kb/s: 1447
Video Framerate fps: 23.976

Audio:
Codec: AAC
Sample Rate (Hz) : 44100
Audio Channel: 2, Stereo
Audio Bitrate kb/s: 1411

Hope this will be useful.
Enjoy

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Valox For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Valox View Post
Video:
Codec mpeg4 or H.264

Audio:

Hope this will be useful.
Enjoy
1411Kbps for audio? This is good for raw PCM but with aac 128kbps is enough.

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Germany
What would be the point of encoding a video using the theora codec, given that the N900's hardware supports H.264 and MPEG4 natively?

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Ridgecrest, California, USA
Originally Posted by BigLebowski View Post
What would be the point of encoding a video using the theora codec, given that the N900's hardware supports H.264 and MPEG4 natively?
Because Theora, Vorbis and OGG are open/Free/unencumbered formats. Also, to tweak the noses of iPhone users ("What do you mean you can't play the video I sent to you? Is your phone broken? Oh, you bought an iPhone. I guess your phone is broken, by definition. Poor fellow . . . ").

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to npsimons For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by npsimons View Post
Because Theora, Vorbis and OGG are open/Free/unencumbered formats.
Sure, but you'll put all the burden of decoding the video on the main CPU, while the GPU is idle. As long as the CPU can handle it, I would not care either (albeit it will drain the battery a little faster). But as soon as the decoding process can not be performed in real time and the video playback starts to jolt, I do care a lot (e.g. my DVB-T recordings are barely watchable on my N900 unless I reencode them).

That's why I think it's a bad advice to recommend non-native encodings just for the sake of supporting open standards. Choose the format that the hardware can handle best.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigLebowski For This Useful Post:
Regarding the video codecs, I'd say the first poster was spot on.

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Ridgecrest, California, USA
Originally Posted by BigLebowski View Post
Sure, but you'll put all the burden of decoding the video on the main CPU, while the GPU is idle. As long as the CPU can handle it, I would not care either (albeit it will drain the battery a little faster). But as soon as the decoding process can not be performed in real time and the video playback starts to jolt, I do care a lot (e.g. my DVB-T recordings are barely watchable on my N900 unless I reencode them).

That's why I think it's a bad advice to recommend non-native encodings just for the sake of supporting open standards. Choose the format that the hardware can handle best.
Aye, I found this out the hard way; encoding with Thoggen to a whopping 720x480 at even low quality results in a choppy vid on my N900; shame, too, as I like how simple Thoggen is. I really wish they would get accelerated Theora working on the N900 . . .

As for now, I'm giving dvd::rip a shot, with MPEG4/MP3; hopefully it will work out better than trying to use VLC. I couldn't get VLC to rip and transcode a video that would play.

Posts: 546 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Winnipeg, Canada
Originally Posted by Valox View Post
Video:
Codec mpeg4 or H.264

Audio:
I'm trying to research this as much as time allows, but does anyone already have the mencoder switches that would produce this?

As well I'm confused in the way that for example if the original video already is a lower size, say 640x350, is it ok to leave it at that or can you and should you force it somehow to 800x480?

TX
N800 | 2 x 8gb OCX SD | Boxwave Anti-glare SS | PDAir book-style case
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
There is free converter that I use called Format Factory.
Just Google it.
Works like a charm. All kinds of settings.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GuitarGuru For This Useful Post: