Posts: 42 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by teh View Post
Linux will always use as much ram as it can. Thats why it tends to be much faster than windows as windows prefers "swap". Plus Linux manages ram a whole lot better.
thats true for Windows XP, but Windows 7 inproved the RAM management like this:

Translation:
Windows XP:
Free: ~400MB (out of 630MB)
Win7:
Free: 14 MB (out of 4GB)

Posts: 234 | Thanked: 281 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Helsinki
Today I learned Linux always uses RAM as much as possible and that's for good. Once again have to admit I'm a n00b. I guess we all have felt this sometimes.
Thanks for your replies.

Originally Posted by slender View Post
Have to disagree somewhat. One of the biggest grievances for me as mousesuperhero (I hate using keyboard :|) is that I find most windows managers (mostly kde/gnome/compiz) with intel or nvidia GPUs tiny winy slower on screen rendering compared to Windows (flickering, redrawing, tearing etc.). Then again mostly on my system linux beats hell out of win on networking and disk IO. For some reason I still manage to make my win system almost complete halt with just simple dvd-drive recognization or network drive that is unreachable.

But on graphic side and responsiveness (how long it takes to menu popup when you point/click it with mouse, small differences make using menus to me unbearable) I hope that Wayland manages to help on some speed issues which might seem to be irrelevant to x-term warriors

.edit
And for some reason I think that making GUI fast as possible and then faster could be the most important thing to do when you start marketing stuff to Average Users. We are not talking about seconds but milliseconds that matter. Btw. From wiki citation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRYTCQqrFcA
Bit lost to what X-window manager has to do with ram usage. I use linux boxes without desktop environments and they're still the same for usage.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
My comment was about how linux is faster than windows and to me itīs not always the case.

Posts: 63 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Canada
Originally Posted by NiQ View Post
Nothing wrong with that - That's the standard behavior of any Linux system: Linux automatically uses any free RAM that it has for caching purposes. It will be reallocated once a program actually needs it.
Well, that is true and false at the same time. While Linux caches "files" a lot (so you see a low amount of free memory) it doesn't explain why the browser process uses 18MB of ram while no browser window are actually active (I know that the browser is used for other stuff, but anyway)

For example, I currently have 280 MB of ram used (140 in actual RAM and 140 of swap) while I have nothing else than an xterm window running htop (no data connection, no fancy widget on the desktop). That's a little too much IMHO.

After a reboot, I have 130 MB of ram used and 8MB of swap used. Looks like some processes are not releasing the memory properly.

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
May be you'd like to check the top 10 processes that used up your memory:

Code:
ps -A --sort -rss -o comm,pmem | head -n 11
For this command to work in N900 you need procps:

Code:
root
apt-get install procps

Last edited by 9000; 2011-04-12 at 16:29.

Originally Posted by 9000 View Post
May be you'd like to check the top 10 processes that used up your memory:

Code:
ps -A --sort -rss -o comm,pmem | head -n 11
while that works on a regular linux box, it seems that busybox doesn't understand all of this... I think that the sort is happening on the process id instead... Also, I'm not seeing the %MEM column, but only the VSZ one (with the PID, user, STAT and COMMAND)

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by jprobichaud View Post
while that works on a regular linux box, it seems that busybox doesn't understand all of this... I think that the sort is happening on the process id instead... Also, I'm not seeing the %MEM column, but only the VSZ one (with the PID, user, STAT and COMMAND)
This command works in N900, but needs procps as prequisite:

I updated the post. Thanks for your feedback.

after updated procps from extras-devel, it worked (the one from the extras repo was already up-to-date and it wasn't working).

Thanks!

The reason why swap use grows but never seems to go down much, is that even if some app at some point wants to use something that is swapped out, the kernel reads it back in, and keeps a copy in the swap as well as in RAM.

That way, if there's a need to swap the same memory out again, it's already in swap, the kernel can skip the writing, and just remove it from ram instead.

If the app changes the copy in ram, however, the kernel marks the corresponding area in swap as free, and reported swap file occupancy goes down.