Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
I think Maemo/Linux people in general prefer good features over gimmicky look. Just look at the OffScr "games", they all look "pretty" but they do absolutely nothing. Why does a "notepad" application need fancy background and fonts when it can be simple white background with lines and black sans-serif font?

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Leeds, United Kingdom
Thats like saying why be with a fit blonde lady when you can have any old hag cause it works just as good.

Of course a normal app is functional and performs everything the way we want it. That is good for most members of the community, but if you put two apps together and one looks pretty. The nice one will win....hence why the iphone community has done so well....just a shame most of those apps ARE completely useless!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thundercat600 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Originally Posted by joppu View Post
I think Maemo/Linux people in general prefer good features over gimmicky look. Just look at the OffScr "games", they all look "pretty" but they do absolutely nothing. Why does a "notepad" application need fancy background and fonts when it can be simple white background with lines and black sans-serif font?
You make an interesting point.

In fact, maybe we should do away with the gui completely and run everything from the terminal.

It would probably reduce the number of bugs present in Maemo.

Just think how much faster everything would run and how much disk space you would save.

The 256mb limit would disappear.

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Thats like saying why be with a fit blonde lady when you can have any old hag cause it works just as good.
That is an interesting and equally disgusting analogy.

However, if the "old hag" wears dentures then she could remove them and give a great......no, no I am NOT going there!

LOL, only way to get the point across........

Although Im equally as worried about the visual of an old hag with dentures, taking em out to give you a good application he he he

Stick with the n900 it will give you a better time 8)

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Right UI design is not only about looks, but looks matter. As number of clicks matter. And then number of clicks vs time for looking on a screen matters. And also the time you spend the first time you use an app to find something versus the time you lose each time you use it again.

Want to find something with no clicks at all? Dump everything in a giant list and search around it for minutes

Want to run everything with a few key-presses? run terminal, but then it is impossible to imagine a command, you have to search on the net or a manual to do something you don't know how

Want to categorize everything specifically? You 'll need more clicks to get it.

There is always room for optimization though. Improving one thing without compromising the other. But as always optimization has it's limits. And then there is time spent on optimization vs time spent on implementing new features.

Finally a sleek and clean UI is easier on the users eyes, it's better for all of us.
________
Buy bubblers

Last edited by qwazix; 2011-08-21 at 10:31.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
I think this will be a survival of the fittest. As good looking apps appear this will create a standard and existing apps will have to shape up or will be forgotten about.
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

Agreed, I think UI app development comes down to experience of the developer and how long they want to spend writing it. If a users experience is properly taken into consideration then the app should look to encorporate the simple sleek UI for everyday use, with the added backend or admin access for those who want more power.

Little or no visual apparel might make it work quick as might a gfx heavy app might be the reverse. If someone can find the right balance between, just enough bling to look nice but not get in the way then it might be a working start!

The Following User Says Thank You to thundercat600 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 754 | Thanked: 630 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London
UI development is dependent on what frameworks/tools the platform provides in the SDK not to mention the ease of use.

.....then the rest depends on how well its put to use.
Travelapp - london underground status/planner ( website )
Batlevel - desktop widget for battery level ( website )

“I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”

Posts: 186 | Thanked: 192 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
The discussion here is rather abstract.

Could we get to a more concrete level? What do you think is a good UI? A pretty UI? Is pretty a requirement for good? Is good a requirement for pretty?

Some app examples with good / bad / pretty / ugly UI?