Active Topics

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Netherlands
thx steve. very helpful

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Texas/Earth/Sol System/Milky Way/Local Group/Hubble Bubble/Infinity
Chief, I hope the udhcpc works - I'll be needing it soon! I just googled for it, never actually used it.

BTW, ScarFlash's post http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...0&postcount=28

is great - I'm ordering those Moto cables. I had been looking at them but I was unsure if they would work until I read his post.

Thanks!

Steve

Let me reiterate my earlier post & maybe expand on it.

N8x0 has wifi networking but no wired, for me the simplest way to bridge that gap is to make sure I can turn wired network into wireless. My solution is to use an Apple Airport Express. I set it up before I leave home so it´ll DHCP onto a hotel, or any, Ethernet wired IP service and it provides me with my own access point.

It's easy & can be used by other devices. No hacking, no hard to find cables.

I realise that advocating an Apple product here might be regarded as heresy but these little APX devices are very useful.

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Texas/Earth/Sol System/Milky Way/Local Group/Hubble Bubble/Infinity
Hi Vaidon;

I want both a travel router and the ability to connect directly to wired networks.

For example, I might need to have a non-routed, non-natted connection with my n810 using a static IP.

Some organizations (my company will be in this category next year), detect rogue APs over the air and jam them.

I agree that for the casual hotel traveler, your solution is very easy and effective.

Steve

Wait, Steve, I thought you were some sort of high muckety-muck in IT at your company? Can't you just tweak the logic to detect "any rogue AP with BSSID not matching list of my personal APs"?

I'm not sure I'd go for the Apple option; I think that I'd prefer to invest the time in playing with one of the Linux-based AP firmwares, and have it good for all sorts of stuff. (Not sure which yet; that's a whole series of projects I haven't gotten to playing with yet.) But the way I see it: some sort of AP setup is the convenient way, when it works; an ethernet adapter is the way that always works...

(It seems many hotel internet services have TOSs that seem to forbid setting up an open AP, and possibly any AP at all. Enforcement is 9/10 of the law, of course, and generally doesn't exist for hotels. But it's good to be able to work regardless, IMHO.)

Wait, Steve, I thought you were some sort of high muckety-muck in IT at your company? Can't you just tweak the logic to detect "any rogue AP with BSSID not matching list of my personal APs"?
Heh... Think of me as the pointy-haired manager. I'd have to ask Dilbert to turn off the rogue-kill robot.

All kidding aside, I just want to get the wired thing working, partly for the sheer geek factor, partly 'cause there might be times when it is the only way to do something.

FYI... FCC rules require that rogue-kill be initiated by a human.

Steve

The Following User Says Thank You to stevecrye For This Useful Post:
Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
Hey Steve,

Have you managed to get the wired stuff working yet? Just curious as I thought the packages and Wiki info made it pretty easy to do, but if I missed something or there's a problem with the info/scripts then I'd love to know so that I can fix 'em up for everyone!

I agree with Benson, for most people travel routers and wifi are nice, but there are so many issues that you CAN run into that prevent it from working. My Dad travels a lot, and while he likes to use technology and is all over "cool new things" like the Tablet, he certainly doesn't have the tech background to be able to figure out what tweaks or changes he'd have to make to get a travel router working on a regular basis; he can manage the USB wired networking option though without any trouble at all (ironically he gets it setup and then calls me on his SIP account to ask me how to do other things on the internet half the time!). I think it comes down to your level of expertise and how much effort you want to put in for convinience; personally I could probably do the travel router thing without issue, but it would be more work and requires more understanding of all of the factors than a simple "plug and go" wired option.

And Benson, if you're like me buddy, forget hacking up the wifi routers with linux... just go for an embedded box like an ALIX and build your own UberBox ... it's where you'll end up anyways! (I went through an Asus WL-500GD, a few GPs, and now have gone to an ALIX 3c3 as it gives me full USB, a full 500mHz processor, expandable onboard storage, full serial/console port, lots of ram, built on sound and video, and 2 mini PCI slots for whatever radios you want to use... and it's still very small, power efficient, and no fans/etc required)

-Rob

Hi Rob;

Still have not worked on wired - but I do have, just now, my huge Windoze USB keyboard connected and am I typing on it! Hurray!

I've been eying the Adesso mini on Amazon. There is a wireless Adesso mini at a local store that looks the same and the keys feel pretty good.

http://www.amazon.com/ADESSO-ACK-595...116863&sr=1-19

Anyone used that Adesso mini?

Steve

The travel router solution is actually quite easy, as you only have to figure out the configuration once: Set it to AP mode, give it an SSID, enable encryption, set it to use DHCP, teach your N8x0 to connect to it. After that it's just plug and go wherever you are.

However, I agree that there are situations where it's not optimal, usually because you're at some non-hotel place where it's not allowed to connect a wi-fi router to the network. For such situations it would be interesting to know about what kind of wired options people have got working.

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
The travel router solution is actually quite easy, as you only have to figure out the configuration once: Set it to AP mode, give it an SSID, enable encryption, set it to use DHCP, teach your N8x0 to connect to it. After that it's just plug and go wherever you are.

However, I agree that there are situations where it's not optimal, usually because you're at some non-hotel place where it's not allowed to connect a wi-fi router to the network. For such situations it would be interesting to know about what kind of wired options people have got working.
If you also disable SSID broadcast in the configuration, other guests and hotel staff won't be able to "see" it. Or rename it to something like "Linksys" or "VIP Access" so everybody thinks it's some infrastructure or neighbourhood thing