Active Topics

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Had a play with the light version, and i found that reading one line posts where annoying, as the white background because very narrow, especially if the poster had a large signature, as said signature is given a gray background.

One almost have to hunt for that small bit of text that is the actual post between the large sig and the info area above (also on a white background).

This may be especially bad as the actual quote and reply links are below the gray sig area, and as such one get no real sense of what belongs to what as things go white/gray/white...

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
I have a complaint:

Dark version colors are too bright and the background s too black. Very hard to read and the big texts around every post without padding doesn't help either. Light version is a little better in that aspect.

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
OK I think I have answered everyone's posts. Some people replied same bug so I just put reply under first persons name. Please keep reporting back on what you think and any bugs.

GeraldKo: Thanks I'll add the line. I have had some people request it and some only want options like in regular quick replay. I'll hold a poll or something to see if people want those options. in Advanced reply.

sachin007: Its a bug in dark theme I forgot to fix, It is fixed on Light theme already.

fms: 1. If your talking about separation of sub forums in each category I was asked by some to take the separation out. I can do a poll to see what the community would prefer since I'm getting mixed requests. 2. It is in large font because almost all site have the header large then rest of font. I can look at lowering it some if that is what the community prefers. 3. I can do a vertical menu I was attempting to scrolling down since that seems to be the biggest concern for most people. 4. Today menu option was requested by several people who prefer to read the site using Today's Posts instead of New posts. 5. Font does not look bold to me is is same size as regular font I can lower it some.

tso: yeah forgot to remove the icons for IMs that option is on turned on on sandbox so I didn't see them until we moved. They will be going away soon. I will wrap the Signature and Reply links in the white if you want. Let me know how you think it should be fixed.

Bundyo: Of all the complaints I knew I would get I didn't think I would ever get the black is to well black. I will lighten it up some. Which colors are too bright?

fms: it takes a lot of javascript to make the site work. I've removed some code for stuff we didn't need and tried to write new stuff using as little code as possible but I can only reduce the size of a page load so much, and longer a page is the large the download will be. I testing the site over GPRS and it runs better then most sites I try to load. I will keep removing code where I can to try and lower the download size.

The Following User Says Thank You to andrewfblack For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by andrewfblack View Post
fms: it takes a lot of javascript to make the site work. I've removed some code for stuff we didn't need and tried to write new stuff using as little code as possible but I can only reduce the size of a page load so much, and longer a page is the large the download will be.
Here is some page load size statistics for you:

Maemo Style: 230049 bytes (100475 bytes JS)
Classic Light Style: 235619 (98376 JS)
Minimalist2 Dark Style: 116534 (94982 JS)

In other words, the size of JavaScript has not been reduced at all and now contributes >80% of the overall page size.

PS: Any way I can get access rights to create a mobile theme on my own? What is the procedure?

fms: it will take just about the same amount of JavaScript to make a theme no matter what you do. JavaScript is the backbone of all themes. Unless you plan doing things like dropping everyone's signature, and quick reply box which wouldn't save you much. there is nothing you can do. Unless you recode the entire site and your a better coder then I am.(which you might be).

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Good stuff! Thank you for making the Thanks! work flawlessly now without reloading the page.

Let me help you getting the Minimalistic inside a phone screen (testing against the E71):

- There is something forcing a horizontal scroll. I believe is the header of posts, specifically the "Posts: 513 Thanks!: 54 Thanked 159 Times in 90 Posts". Do we really need this in the Minimalistic theme? If you are into minimalism and simplicity those details are secondary to you.

- Another candidate is the Search form in the top of the page. Considering that there is already a Search link in the top right, can we remove the form? It's not something a Minimalist users would use all the time and it's anyway one click and few pixels away.

- Top bar navigation. If you remove the "Bugs" link (not that relevant, really) and reduce the font it will fit in one line. I wonder if Viaspy needs to be there, actually. It's such a hardcore feature that can be linked somewhere.

- Maybe you could save "Home" too. There is something fishy in terms of consistency with the item in the center of the top bar (actually the whole top bar is fishy since it disappears in pages like New or Today). What if the top bar would read always "Back Index Search". "Index" is clearer that "Home" since the latter could refer to maemo.org homepage.

And I think someone said this, but just in case:

- In the thread page the size of the topic titles is too big imho. "Quote | Quick Reply..." too.

- Signature + "Quote | Quick Reply..." should be on the same white background than the body of the message, otherwise it gets confusing.

- Aso the grey separation between name of the poster and post content is weird. A post should be better a whole island with white background swimming in the grey sea, don't you think? Grey would define the separation between posts.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
2 thing about dark:

1. could you maybe drop the borders on the "the following say thanks"? as there is a large white line between the posts, and the text above the list of thank-ers are in bold white, there is no real need for the white border both around said heading and around the list itself.

2. maybe provide a bit more air between the end of the post and the quote| quick reply| thanks links, and again a bit more air down to the white line, for when there is no sig to show.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
My concern are the bold white text and white borders on plain black background. The missing paddings and the bold text on this small screen estate makes it very difficult to read.

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Good stuff! Thank you for making the Thanks! work flawlessly now without reloading the page.

Let me help you getting the Minimalistic inside a phone screen (testing against the E71):

- There is something forcing a horizontal scroll. I believe is the header of posts, specifically the "Posts: 513 Thanks!: 54 Thanked 159 Times in 90 Posts". Do we really need this in the Minimalistic theme? If you are into minimalism and simplicity those details are secondary to you.

- Another candidate is the Search form in the top of the page. Considering that there is already a Search link in the top right, can we remove the form? It's not something a Minimalist users would use all the time and it's anyway one click and few pixels away.

- Top bar navigation. If you remove the "Bugs" link (not that relevant, really) and reduce the font it will fit in one line. I wonder if Viaspy needs to be there, actually. It's such a hardcore feature that can be linked somewhere.

- Maybe you could save "Home" too. There is something fishy in terms of consistency with the item in the center of the top bar (actually the whole top bar is fishy since it disappears in pages like New or Today). What if the top bar would read always "Back Index Search". "Index" is clearer that "Home" since the latter could refer to maemo.org homepage.

And I think someone said this, but just in case:

- In the thread page the size of the topic titles is too big imho. "Quote | Quick Reply..." too.

- Signature + "Quote | Quick Reply..." should be on the same white background than the body of the message, otherwise it gets confusing.

- Aso the grey separation between name of the poster and post content is weird. A post should be better a whole island with white background swimming in the grey sea, don't you think? Grey would define the separation between posts.
Here lies our problem the same problem we had with new maemo.org theme some people want one thing while others want another. I have some people who want bigger links then I get complaints by others links are two big. I have some people that want every single feature that the site offers but want it in a format that fits tablet better and has no images.

I have the top bar disappear on new post page and today's post to save some scrolling and because from those pages most people will be clicking a link to another post. I'm going to be putting everything to do with a single post in one white box like the black box on dark version. As far as making the theme more Phone friendly I would prefer a different theme for phone which I would be happy to develop even though I don't have a phone with a decent browser to test it on. On a phone version I would strip just about everything away from the site but the basic parts of the posts, but I really don't want to strip down minimalist because so many people have asked for all the features I have added.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to andrewfblack For This Useful Post: