The N900 is for advanced users (users who are comfortable with rolling up their sleeves and getting dirty if necessary).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by God View Post
Shhhhhhhhh little kitten..
A great policy to interact - no doubt - Thank God - I know my position now! BTW, what is N900 position from God's point of view?

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
To be honest I hate linux.. I always thought it's too complicated and never bothered to even read anything about it..

But guess what I bought the N900 because I need a very small portable computer with telephone capabilities...

Also I am not a techy but I am a little bit "geek" when it comes to phones.. So I do consider myself an 'ordinary' user..

What I am trying to get to here is that I am an ordinary user who just LOVES the N900 soooooo much.. It's just perfect.. But here's the difference between me and you.

1) I don't complain A LOT about small things.
2) If I find a problem I look for it on the internet for a solution, if I can't find it I post a thread here (very useful and knowledgeable community) seeking for help.
3) I did a big research and followed this phone's news since it first showed up on the interenet as an RX-51 mysterious Nokia device.
4) Decided if the N900 is right for me or not.
5) I have patience to wait for future firmware releases/bug fixes.

You on the other hand, just complain and just can't get over the fact that you have no idea what you have in your hands, and can't appreciate what can the device do for you, and you have 0 patience.

If you're not satisfy with the N900 it's really simple, return the phone and forget that you have ever bought it and stop nagging/complaining, it will be beneficiary for all of us since it will give a peace of mind to all of us; and yes including you.

That was my 0.02 cents. Feel free to prove me wrong.

EDIT: Just to let you know, since I've started using the N900, it tought me a couple of lessons, that the "stereotype" that I had on the linux (being too hard) is gone now, since I am now, kind of, getting used to it, and I am learning the simple stuff. Sure I won't be a programmer, at least any time soon.. But it's a start.

Also, what I love about this device, is that even if you brick the phone, there's a big possibility that you can flash the phone and make it go back to life.. Unlike Symbian, which if you brick the phone.. oh boy.

Last edited by bandora; 2009-12-12 at 07:37.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bandora For This Useful Post:
Posts: 280 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by timomaemo View Post
A great policy to interact - no doubt - Thank God - I know my position now! BTW, what is N900 position from God's point of view?
It's a device with a key to the future.

Just not quite ripe yet.

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Houston, TX
I am definitely not a developer, but I suppose what you would call an ordinary user. I am a person that might be more ideally suited to the iPhone, and if iPhone were offered by T-Mobile, I might have one now. But I am a long-time T-Mobile customer, due to their cheap plans and good customer service, and refuse to change. Also, I've only ever owned Nokia phones and have loved using my N80 for the last couple of years, and the freedom of an unlocked phone and no contract.

I already love the N900. It's not perfect and I imagine I will have to do some research and learn something about Linux to make some things more convenient for me. But I like to learn new things and won't mind doing that too much. I hate the way the US cell phone providers cripple their devices and rape and pillage with their two year contracts and overpriced required data plans. I'll take a little inconvenience for the freedom to do what I want with my phone, and the additional possibilities if I'm willing to take the time and effort to learn.

Originally Posted by ajamils View Post
timomaemo,

I don't think you have any idea WTF you are talking about. When it comes to Linux, I'm a complete newbie but I've been using N900 for many days and have installed many apps and emulators and have not seen single reboot of issue.

If you so many problems then just go get your self an iphone and spare us your nonsense.
well said lol

There is a really big thread on people experiencing reboots:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ferrerid=27636

I've had a few myself, but haven't had any recently. I'm glad to read that some N900 owners are having such a fantastic experience with their new devices. I agree that for web browsing it has no current peer in this form factor.

I think the problem is that with all of the varied reports of user experiences that it is hard to self-diagnose if it is a hardware or a software issue. There are so many conflicting reports of what is normal or not that it really leads to a lot of uncertainty.

I for example have real problems getting a reliable GPS lock (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ferrerid=27636) and my battery life seems pretty dismal. Other than that, my N900 seems to work quite well.

Cheers!

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by karmicguy View Post
There is a really big thread on people experiencing reboots:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ferrerid=27636

I've had a few myself, but haven't had any recently. I'm glad to read that some N900 owners are having such a fantastic experience with their new devices. I agree that for web browsing it has no current peer in this form factor.

I think the problem is that with all of the varied reports of user experiences that it is hard to self-diagnose if it is a hardware or a software issue. There are so many conflicting reports of what is normal or not that it really leads to a lot of uncertainty.

I for example have real problems getting a reliable GPS lock (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ferrerid=27636) and my battery life seems pretty dismal. Other than that, my N900 seems to work quite well.

Cheers!
Couple of threads on how to extend the battery life on here. I found reducing the WiFi to lower power setting has made a huge difference to battery life. Bluetooth seems to drain power quicky too.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fargus For This Useful Post: