Hello!

I have been a very long long time lurker on this site, I followed all the previous tablets intensively. First and foremost I must say this is a fantastic community and thanks a whole lot, I have learnt so much from reading and enjoy to see the care and commitment many have!

I am in Sydney, Australia and have been eyeing out the N900 for a long time, ordered it on Amazon back in Oct and finally got my new phone yesterday!

I’ll start off by saying - Absolutely amazing device!

This thing is rock solid and is really a step in a good direction for Nokia and simply for the end user, it about time we got a device like this!

I booted up the device yesterday and everything has worked right out of the box, apart from logging into a few accounts here and there and into the repositories this device couldn’t be simpler or more user friendly! My GF had a good play with it and had no trouble getting through the phone, she took some photos, checked them in the album and then bluetoothed some back to her phone!

The call quality is very crystal clear and the loudspeaker/hands free is also very good, even the other side couldn’t tell they were on hands free. The speaker quality and sound for games and videos is also very strong and clear, I have been playing some SNES games on it and the sound is so amazing and really creates depth and just brings up the awesome factor!

The form factor well don’t be fooled that thin and fragile is sexy. Solid and bold is sexy! To hold this phone in your hands, the weight is amazing and that *CLICK* when you open and close the keyboard is very satisfying. The thickness actually isn’t bad at all! I was expecting to not even be able to pocket this but it fit very snug into my side pocks with ease (slim cut jeans). Placing it on a table gives you also a satisfying feeling because it is so solid I don’t feel like it will break just sitting there!

I mention all this because I have noticed many keep mentioning that this device is not stable, is not prime time not this not that.
All I can say is that this device IS primetime, no matter what Nokia says, we should all know by now Nokia have the worst PR!!!

This device reminds me when I first got my NGAGE, while it was a bit of a flop the NGAGE at the time really showed what mobile computing will be like and the fun to tinker with the device and install what you want.

I left my device on all night and had over 15 programs running at once, came back in the morning to check on the phone and there was no slow down no memory being eaten. It was just seamless and perfect!

In the words of Apple “It just works”

By the time the next firmware comes along with a few UI fixes here and there and adding missing minor missing features this will set a new standard for a while to come especially for Maemo 6

I hope it wasn’t to boring of a rant but for those who have no yet bought the n900 DONT HESITATE BUY IT ASAP!! It is worth every cent!

I do have a few questions though –

First with Nokia Messaging/Email, it is synced with my gmail and if I delete an email off the device it will take it off gmail. I really would rather that DIDNT happen also all of my emails that have CC’s and replies with multiple users are all separated into single posts and I have no idea who is linked to what. Any fixes for this especially the deleting off the server?

Also since I am in Australia there seems to be no way to set my time zone to AUS, so all my emails and many other online features are showing USA time, any ideas?
Thanks for all your time!

mr2600

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mr2600 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 280 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Switzerland
You're being paid by Nokia, yeah?

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cincinnati, OH
Great review. I absolutely agree that this is an amazing device.

Originally Posted by mr2600 View Post
Hello!

I have been a very long long time lurker on this site, I followed all the previous tablets intensively. First and foremost I must say this is a fantastic community and thanks a whole lot, I have learnt so much from reading and enjoy to see the care and commitment many have!

I am in Sydney, Australia and have been eyeing out the N900 for a long time, ordered it on Amazon back in Oct and finally got my new phone yesterday!

I’ll start off by saying - Absolutely amazing device!

This thing is rock solid and is really a step in a good direction for Nokia and simply for the end user, it about time we got a device like this!

I booted up the device yesterday and everything has worked right out of the box, apart from logging into a few accounts here and there and into the repositories this device couldn’t be simpler or more user friendly! My GF had a good play with it and had no trouble getting through the phone, she took some photos, checked them in the album and then bluetoothed some back to her phone!

The call quality is very crystal clear and the loudspeaker/hands free is also very good, even the other side couldn’t tell they were on hands free. The speaker quality and sound for games and videos is also very strong and clear, I have been playing some SNES games on it and the sound is so amazing and really creates depth and just brings up the awesome factor!

The form factor well don’t be fooled that thin and fragile is sexy. Solid and bold is sexy! To hold this phone in your hands, the weight is amazing and that *CLICK* when you open and close the keyboard is very satisfying. The thickness actually isn’t bad at all! I was expecting to not even be able to pocket this but it fit very snug into my side pocks with ease (slim cut jeans). Placing it on a table gives you also a satisfying feeling because it is so solid I don’t feel like it will break just sitting there!

I mention all this because I have noticed many keep mentioning that this device is not stable, is not prime time not this not that.
All I can say is that this device IS primetime, no matter what Nokia says, we should all know by now Nokia have the worst PR!!!

This device reminds me when I first got my NGAGE, while it was a bit of a flop the NGAGE at the time really showed what mobile computing will be like and the fun to tinker with the device and install what you want.

I left my device on all night and had over 15 programs running at once, came back in the morning to check on the phone and there was no slow down no memory being eaten. It was just seamless and perfect!

In the words of Apple “It just works”

By the time the next firmware comes along with a few UI fixes here and there and adding missing minor missing features this will set a new standard for a while to come especially for Maemo 6

I hope it wasn’t to boring of a rant but for those who have no yet bought the n900 DONT HESITATE BUY IT ASAP!! It is worth every cent!

I do have a few questions though –

First with Nokia Messaging/Email, it is synced with my gmail and if I delete an email off the device it will take it off gmail. I really would rather that DIDNT happen also all of my emails that have CC’s and replies with multiple users are all separated into single posts and I have no idea who is linked to what. Any fixes for this especially the deleting off the server?

Also since I am in Australia there seems to be no way to set my time zone to AUS, so all my emails and many other online features are showing USA time, any ideas?
Thanks for all your time!

mr2600
Well, depend what you want - for any practical use the device is for no use (too many bugs in preset firmware). For linux lovers it is a must - so much to work with and to communicate with linux community. For ordinary folks an important point is how to get it running even for a call without all happening boots, lacking features and too hungry for power supply (a small sample of present problems)

Originally Posted by timomaemo View Post
Well, depend what you want - for any practical use the device is for no use (too many bugs in preset firmware). For linux lovers it is a must - so much to work with and to communicate with linux community. For ordinary folks an important point is how to get it running even for a call without all happening boots, lacking features and too hungry for power supply (a small sample of present problems)
If you hate it so much, stop coming here and making over dramatic statements. It didn't float you boat, we all get it. Move on.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to parkee99 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 127 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Denmark
The setting for not deleting your mails, are somewhere in Nokia Messaging. The exact place I can't remember, but it's somewhere in these forums.

Except that I wouldn't recommend N900 for people wanting a full smartphone experience, I can understand and appreciate this review. Barring a defective unit (and clearly there are some out there) and missing features affecting you, this is a very solid piece of hardware and wonderful OS. When looking at it like that, the above review is quite reasonable. All the negativity on this forum does not in my opinion reflect the whole truth of the device.

I really, really like my N900 and can't wait for the software to add more features (be that first or third party).

The Following User Says Thank You to iJanne For This Useful Post:
The point is not in flooding or being angry in any sense. It is a point of getting value for money and to understand your role as an end user. Firmware is not yet ready, this is for sure for so much reported unstability. Applications are lacking important features - please comment which new features are there in n900 applications to bring you any new value? Also the point of linux - are we users or are we developers?

wait till u use it more...

I've used mine for a couple of weeks now and I still love it. It is wonderful. The browsing, par none. As a phone, works great. Performance, openness, OS, multi-tasking - just beautiful. And as a media player replaced my iPod touch. Browsing album covers on this wonderful screen beats Cover Flow anytime. Stylus kicks my fingers ***.

No reboots, no significant bugs on mine - the only thing missing are some of the smartphone features we know to be missing and of course lack of software content. And certainly some usability things (like the playlist management suckfest and global portrait would be useful at times).

You can complain all you want but that is my honest experience. The thing is rock solid in my use and feature-wise the thing is what I expected of step 4 of 5. Best phone I've ever had definitely.

Last edited by iJanne; 2009-12-10 at 00:05.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iJanne For This Useful Post: