So, I have had my n810 for over a year now and have played around quite a bit with some things but have had the bug to want to bring some of my own ideas to life but have little to no experience with the whole process.I am talking about writing some of my own applications. So in turn I am comming to everyone here for help with a direction to start with and the things that are required. I do have my laptop with windows and ubuntu both on it but I dont have a keyboard for my n810 (if one is even required)

I was trying to read up on scratchbox but am still not even sure if that is what I should start with.

Thank you all for the help in advance. I am extremely excited to start.

Python is good one to start of with unless you are the sort who likes to jump in with both feet.

I'm with muki, go to the Python Tutorial and/or the PyGTK Tutorial and jump in with one foot.

I third Python. Start with writing command line applications (really simple) then, when you think you have a good handle on the language, start writing GUI's.

For GUI Toolkits, there is PyQT and PyGTK. I use PyGTK because it is, at this time, better supported on Maemo, but the choice is yours.

Author of TouchSearch -- web searching software for Maemo 5.

Mobile Device lineage: Palm Z22 -> Palm TX -> Nokia N800 -> Nokia N900

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Brent, don't you also have a specific tutorial for Python you recommend?

Posts: 276 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bath, UK
Originally Posted by matthewcb4 View Post
So, I have had my n810 for over a year now and have played around quite a bit with some things but have had the bug to want to bring some of my own ideas to life but have little to no experience with the whole process.I am talking about writing some of my own applications. So in turn I am comming to everyone here for help with a direction to start with and the things that are required. I do have my laptop with windows and ubuntu both on it but I dont have a keyboard for my n810 (if one is even required)

I was trying to read up on scratchbox but am still not even sure if that is what I should start with.

Thank you all for the help in advance. I am extremely excited to start.
Scratchbox is exactly what you want to start with if you have access to a linux machine or VM. Python is a great language to start with but if you comfortable with C or something else then I'm sure its catered for.

Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
Brent, don't you also have a specific tutorial for Python you recommend?
I do I learned the basics through this very informal tutorial. It might not be the most accurate or information-packed tutorial, but it does not get bogged down with programming jargon or unnecessary formalities.

For that (and tons of information) see "Dive into Python".

Author of TouchSearch -- web searching software for Maemo 5.

Mobile Device lineage: Palm Z22 -> Palm TX -> Nokia N800 -> Nokia N900

Before you decided to stick with Python, which is nice btw, what do you plan to develop?

Although learning C is marginally harder putting the effort in may pay off if you decide you want to develop device drivers, or kernel modules, or DSP code, or anything that needs to run as fast as possible (e.g. if you plan on developing 3D games).

Though with that said, Python does avoid having to write much of that nasty GUI code stuff (you can create a GUI very easily with PyGTK, much more easily than in C).

C + Command line all the way I say!

Last edited by lardman; 2009-05-18 at 09:04.

Tags
beginning programming, python