Poll: Re-structure talk.maemo.org ?
Poll Options
Re-structure talk.maemo.org ?

if you hear of any please let us know; i'll do the same.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wesgreen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by puelocesar View Post
This one became a place to people complain about shipping delays, cancelled orders, missing portrait mode... It's much harder to find useful posts about hacking my N810..

Is there anyone feeling this too? Or this just my lonely rant? :P
Yes, unfortunately. I wish Nokia would take care of its customers so this place wouldn't get the backwash.

Originally Posted by CrashandDie View Post
Open your eyes!

OS2008 / Maemo 4 / Chinook - Diablo

Nokia N810

Nokia N800
That doesn't really work for the Applications, etc forums does it now?
Open YOUR eyes?

Also. why is Andre Klapper constantly 'thankinhg' everyone who bashes people?

The Following User Says Thank You to Tintin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 336 | Thanked: 610 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ France
Originally Posted by Tintin View Post
That doesn't really work for the Applications, etc forums does it now?
Open YOUR eyes?

Also. why is Andre Klapper constantly 'thankinhg' everyone who bashes people?
Actually, the Original Post didn't talk about those forums, it just talked about "Community forums for older devices". The OP also only talked about the fact the forum was awash with moaners and trolls -- which is something I completely agree with. The reason Andre thanked me -- I suspect -- is that my response was absolutely correct concerning the OP. Please don't flame people because someone is replying to a very specific question, without taking into account every single possible variation of the subject. You asked for forums about older devices, they are there.

Now, disregarding the obvious flaming, you do actually hold a pretty valid point. The applications forum "etc", as you put it, aim at providing support for software across all platforms. Software which runs only on specific platforms should be marked as such, but we all know this is going to be a pretty limited solution.

I would like to see that the forum remains as is, without the need to segregate the community in N900ers and not. We have managed to move platforms in the past, without requiring to divide the community, I certainly hope we can do the same thing again. This being said, one could imagine having subforums that cater to very specific platforms (N900, N8x0, 770), and the main forum being used when an application is cross-platform.

Regardless of the capabilities of the N900, the N8x0 are still very much alive as was pointed out earlier in the thread. I certainly hope developers realise this and will provide support for all the main platforms, where the hardware differences allow for it.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
(speaking of...who IS in charge of the tmo structure?).
Ultimately, Reggie Suplido.

And the problems cited are going to persist no matter what structure we go to. The current "misplaced" posts will simply swap places with their converse.

Too many hot topics straddle more than one functional domain. There's no avoiding that, or really, even completely fixing it. Given that, I think ARJWright's tags (metadata) idea has a great deal of value.

I think we need more moderators to help out.

The Following User Says Thank You to jandmdickerson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
I agree. Something needs to be done to separate out the N8x0s (along with the 770) from this forum. The same issue has been raised in this thread about "re-structuring" talk.maemo.org.

Even once things die down over the introduction of the N900, the fact is that at a minimum the Applications section has to be divided into Fremantle and pre-Fremantle. I don't care if it's done with mandatory meta-tags or with a separate forum -- but something needs to change.

I like to scroll through all the New Posts, and most are just irrelevant to me at this point. A separate forum would fix that problem. But I understand how a separate forum could fragment and damage the community.

Meta-tags for

1. N900
2. pre-N900
3. Both N900 and pre-N900
4. Neither N900 nor pre-N900

would work, if one and only one such meta-tag had to be assigned to each thread. For it to work for me, I would have to be able to use the forum as it is now, but with the meta-tags acting as a filter. ("N900," of course, means also Maemo 5, and "pre-N900" is intended to include Diablo and Chinook.)

Thus, someone like me could go to New Posts and see only those that were in categories 2 and 3. I could, of course, still look at Category 1 and Category 4 (off-topic, competitors, not much else there I would think) if I felt like it.

Similarly, a newcomer who doesn't care about the pre-N900 world of Maemo could look at Category 1 or at Categories 1 and 3.

I think this is important. Please note (vote in) the poll in the above-referenced thread.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
It's getting more and more 'frustrating' reading threads in forums like 'Applications' now. Half-way down someone assumes its for the N900...then later someone provides an answer only applicable to the Diablo OS.

With 80%+ of people that replies here wanting a change to how the forums are structured is there an official 'answer' or policy from whoever is running the tmo?
(speaking of...who IS in charge of the tmo structure?).
That's the rub. There were discussions months ago about changing the HOME PAGE. To date, no changes, nada...

Posts: 62 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ France
Indeed, there's a need for subforums or tags in order to organize those apps better.

The Following User Says Thank You to Aweb For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
"Is it time to re-structure talk.maemo.org?"

No, it is not time to re-structure talk.maemo.org. It is past that time!

I go to New Posts this morning, and the first two pages -- that's 50 threads -- are all entirely unrelated to the N8x0's. There was not a single thread of the 50 that was even generally related to the community or to NITs in general; 100% N900 except for two asking about Google invites and electronic cigarettes! Not even the thread on the blessed Flip Clock updates. Not even this thread.

I say it's past time because we have already lost participants who weren't willing to wade through all the irrelevant stuff. So without their posts, the balance of posts tips even more strongly away from the N800's and N810's. So we lose more N8x0 owners, and the vicious cycle progresses.

Reggie -- we need a restructure or the N8X0 needs its own forum ASAP!

See also Puelocesar's thread New Forum for N8x0:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...424#post398424

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post: