Notices

Posts: 282 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Austin, TX, USA
I have seen plenty of threads on people's favorite apps, and there are some cool ones out there, but I am wondering what apps people are actually using from day to day. Not the showhorses, but the workhorses.

Aside from the basics of browser, email, phone, and conversations, I use the following regularly:
  • Battery-eye - I look at the battery history to check it out when the level seems lower than I expected
  • Conboy - I have it synced up with my laptop and desktop Tomboy apps. Great for jotting down information, especially the odd miscellaneous stuff like light bulb sizes in the house, code snippets, lumber measurements, etc. The sync option lets me have a single set of notes on phone, desktop, laptop, etc. This (aka Tomboy) is a must-have for every platform I use, not just the phone, and has become the storehouse for all my vital miscellaneous information.
  • EggTimer - simple countdown timer. This is the fancy graphical one from the app store. I would love suggestions of any better ones people use?
  • Facebook widget - just something to glance at on the desktop--shows if I have any messages. Otherwise, not real useful. Looking forward to a similar widget for the mail client, though (is that coming out with 1.2?)
  • Flashlight - oddly, I find I use this all the time. Who knew it would be so useful
  • Gweled - sadly got myself addicted to this. Better than sudoku, I guess
  • HTop - check for runaway processes when something is slow. I never find one.
  • KeepassX - I use this on desktop and laptop also. I just periodically download the latest password file from dropbox and I always have the passwords handy. Could use a better interface, but kudos to the folks who ported it over.
  • OMWeather - keeps me from going to the internet. And it keeps up with my location to give me local weather wherever I am.
  • OpenSSH - I use SSH both ways: into the phone and out of the phone. Kind of cool to use this with vpnc and ssh into a database server.
  • Personal IP Address - puts the IP address on the desktop. Simple and useful, especially in concert with OpenSSH when logged into the home wifi network.
  • Vpnc and vpnc-gui - lets me connect to the office vpn. rdesktop works over this, giving me a windows desktop directly on the unit, but I don't do that very much so I didn't include rdesktop. ssh and web browsing works over this as well, so I can click through links in my work emails directly into the intranet (and they work fine because the browser is so good!).

So that's my list. Not too short, but kind of highlights the fact that the browser keeps me from having to use all kinds of other apps for my basic functions.

What workhorses do you use every day?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rmerren For This Useful Post:
Posts: 66 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Netherlands
Not having my n900 that long, these are the once i use:
  • BatteryGraph
  • xterm -> root -> mc, awesome filebrowser. i use something simmilalr on my pc (altap salamander). has build in ftp client
  • conky
  • either diskusage or storageusage, i have both installed
  • iptraf
  • personalip desktop widget
  • ConnectNew desktop widget, great for (dis)enableing wifi connections
  • SSH server, to work on my phone from my pc. altap salamander has an SFTP/SCP client build in so it's awesome.
  • rootsh, obviously
  • systeminfowidget together with load applet, check cpu and mem activity
i also have flashlight installed but haven't used it yet.

obviously i have more installed then this.

The most used app on my 900 is the conversations app. Next up is xterm. after that... shrug. i have a ton of apps on it, rarely use them.

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ The Netherlands
Applications I use the most are:
- gPodder (in combination with the (default) mediaplayer with the extra decoders support)
- gnumeric (don't leave home without a spreadsheet app)
- custom operator name widget (which shows my mobile number)
- backup (just in case)

For me so far my work horse apps are:
gpodder (very good app)
conversations/web broswer/phone (of course)
Transmission
Touchsearch (really good app)
FMTX widget w/ FM boost (used when in rental cars, travel alot)
Bluetooth (always connecting phone to car recevier, loving it, safer, every car should have built in bluetooth, hehe, soon and very soon)
JoikuSpot (work horse/loving it)

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
The basics:
- Battery-Eye (I like to keep an eye on the battery)
- OpenSSH (For moving files to the N900's rootfs)
- Backup (Because I like experimenting. It has proven useful...)

The regularly used apps:
- ForecaWeather widget (It looks better than OMweather, and it actually knows the locatin where I live.)
- Firefox (When I want some more desktop-like browsing)
- Xournal (Pretty useful)
- FM Boost

Games:
- OpenTTD (Quite addictive...)
- Blubbels
- Angry Birds (Very nice)
- Bounce

The one that made me laugh:
- Braek

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Battery-eye
MC
RAW viewer
Storage usage
VNC Viewer
Wireshark
Wizard Mounter
Wifi eye/wifi info
--
Angry birds
OpenTTD
Solitaire
Freecell4Maemo

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

My own unsung hero: the Desktop Command Execution widget.

So versatile, it's not so much a workhorse as an entire herd :-)

Posts: 282 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Austin, TX, USA
Now I have several apps I have to check out!

claws-mail
load-applet
ogg-support
openssh (server and client)
osso-xterm
sgt-puzzles
ukeyboard
+ all sorts of evil confusing CLI stuff from the tools repository and elsewhere ;-)