Seems to me that the primary type of scrolling in the n900 is kinetic scrolling, is that the general type on the default apps? (PDF viewer, RSS feed reader, etc..).

I wonder if there's any apps that would make use of the accelerometer to scroll (as an option). That way you wouldn't have to use your fingers, just tilt your device (noticed my cousin does this sometime on his iPhone). Good for long reads.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
hm, interesting thought...yeah, this option could be appreciated

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
I haven't seen apps using the accelerometer for scrolling. It sounds like a nice idea but as I don't always read PDF files on my N810 in horizontal position this would be a bit annoying.

Anyway, feel free to post that idea in Maemo Brainstorm at http://maemo.org/community/brainstorm please!

The Following User Says Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Yes, as the Bounce game for instance shows, the accelerometers on the N900 are quite good.

Just put your text as textures inside Bounce.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
This would make reading eBooks a lot of fun.

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Seems to me that the primary type of scrolling in the n900 is kinetic scrolling, is that the general type on the default apps? (PDF viewer, RSS feed reader, etc..).

I wonder if there's any apps that would make use of the accelerometer to scroll (as an option). That way you wouldn't have to use your fingers, just tilt your device (noticed my cousin does this sometime on his iPhone). Good for long reads.

laughing man,

as the person behind the onedotzero accelerometer based controller and liqflow accelerometer assisted particle field.

http://conversations.nokia.com/2009/...-scenes-video/

http://maemo.nokia.com/videos/

i can tell you that, yes, it would be nice in theory - however there are certain very very practical reasons to not do it either.

one of the interactions in the onedotzero application is "Tilt" this just visually shows a button on the screen and as the user adjusts the orientation of the device it slides around.
(on the big projected display much more flashy 'wow' effects happened

i had to try really hard to come up with a mechanism whereby when the "Tilt" interaction was opened the nobble was stationary.
all adjustments to the tilt were based upon that angle.

So, you are holding device infront of you and you open your ebook.
you tilt it towards you a tiny bit to get a good flow motion going and you are reading your book wonderfully for the first 10 seconds. WOOT!

then you sneeze and move your hand.
the device tilts and you zoom forwards 10 pages. DAMN_IT!!

to get it right to read on the desk on a stand, you would have to first pickup the device at a certain orientation, then adjust it so it moves properly, then hope when you put it down the accelerometer isnt jolted. DAMN_IT!!

you are better in a book reader having a stable controllable speed autoscrolling feature (like original liqbase text reader included - will be returning asap..), and what was also included in many other book readers.

they are controllable without having to depend on direct environment.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post:
addendum:

pressing and holding a modifier which enables the kinetic accelerometer portion whilst you sort your speed would be reasonable..

Last edited by lcuk; 2009-09-19 at 10:38. Reason: kinetic/accel

An autoscrolling feature would also be good. I was just thinking of this as an option that you could turn off and on whenever. But you make several good points as to why this wouldn't be the best method to scroll.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Just throwing this out there:

Kinetic scrolling lists is cool. What's not cool is accidentally hitting an item when you accidentally touch the list without dragging it.

An easy solution to this, is to place the selection button/area to the far right of each list item. That way, you can scroll the list quite easily (even if you drag over the select button) without the risk of selecting an item. Selection is as easy as ever with a targeted press.

Often times this is a minor inconvenience, but it sucks (for example) if you're listening to a song, while building a playlist (for example), and you accidentally select a track you hadn't intended to select. Annoying.

The benefit with this implementation is that it makes list navigation and selection less error prone, and thus more comfortable. I find interfaces that you have to 'be careful' around are annoying to use.

}:^)~

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lcuk View Post
addendum:

pressing and holding a modifier which enables the kinetic accelerometer portion whilst you sort your speed would be reasonable..
i meant accelerometer here.
as for list selection, yeah i agree - but you need to visually show the selectable area - in some of my lists I simply make the active areas the picture or the label itself the active item, so the hit target is not the entire width/heigh of the list item.

i've always tried to make clicks and strokes two different things tho and on n900 in fremantle it seems to be handled quite well and doesnt really happen that often..

on old screens with less sensitive displays it happens more tho..