I have a 770
- 1 gig MMC.
- Booting from MMC.
- OS 2006 version 3.2006.49-2. with patch for wlan memory corruption fix.
(I previously followed the great How_To_Easily_Boot_From_MMC_card instructions, including; becoming root, partitioning the MMC, installing dual boot menu, cloning the OS 2006 system, and the patch for wlan memory corruption fix.)
- My desktop PC is running Windows XP

I want to
- switch to the latest OS2007HE
- install seatbelt
- install fanoush's faster kernel.

I've read *many* threads on the topic and I want to check to make sure I understand what I am doing before I jump in, especially the order of doing things.

So here are my questions.

Question 1a) Before I install the OS2007HE is there a way to preserve a copy of my current system so in case the OS2007HE doesn't work out, I can easily go back to how I have things right now? (bookmarks, programs, files and all)

Question 1b) After I install the OS2007HE Is there is a way quickly "reload" my bookmarks and files into the system?

I think the answer to both of these is, "no"

From what I read, when I switch to OS2007HE, *all* info/data on my 770 will be lost.

In other words I will
1) lose all my bookmarks and therefore have to recreate them?
2) lose all other files in my 770. text documents in the folders , contacts in the default contact file, music, etc

Question 2) The order of how to go about switching to OS2007HE?
I think it's this:
Put OS2007HE onto the flash memory
Then flash the faster kernel
Then install seatbelt
Then copy all this onto the MMC (which will overwrite the previously copied OS2006)
Then boot from MMC

Question 3) If I want to do other things like the flash 9 hack, or the skype hack, at what point in the process should I do that?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Last edited by ericbecky; 2007-12-10 at 19:53.

The Following User Says Thank You to ericbecky For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by ericbecky View Post
Question 1a) Before I install the OS2007HE is there a way to preserve a copy of my current system so in case the OS2007HE doesn't work out, I can easily go back to how I have things right now? (bookmarks, programs, files and all)
You already have it on mmc. You can install 2007HE to flash and still boot OS2006 from card. You can also mount OS2006 system on card while booted from OS2007 in internal flash so you can copy some data to newer system later.
Question 1b) After I install the OS2007HE Is there is a way quickly "reload" my bookmarks and files into the system?[/B]
use Backup tool in Os2006, restore just bookmarks in OS2007 (not anything else)

From what I read, when I switch to OS2007HE, *all* info/data on my 770 will be lost.
True for internal flash but you have system on MMC, right? You won't lose that. You do lose bootmenu if you flash full .bin image but you can reinstall it later nad get back to ypur system on mmc.
Question 2) The order of how to go about switching to OS2007HE?
I think it's this:
Put OS2007HE onto the flash memory
Then flash the faster kernel
Then install seatbelt
Then copy all this onto the MMC (which will overwrite the previously copied OS2006)
Then boot from MMC
-faster kernel is not related to this, do it anytime, make sure you know how to recover if faster kernel will not work with your card, it is better to load it without flashing first (via linux flasher -l -b -k options) boot from flash and test your card

-if you don't have more linux partitions on mmc card, play with OS2007 in internal flash until you decided you want to ditch OS2006. Or make full backup of system on card before overwriting it with 2007

I'd recommend to have two linux partitions (i.e. three in total) on MMC and boot both OS2006 and 2007 from MMC. You can repartition your card even now without losing OS2006 on card but it is tricky for newbie. Or you can make backup of second partition, repartition card and restore backup back and then copy OS2007 from flash to third partition on card and boot both. Depends on you.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
Fanoush,
You've provided some good information for me to consider.

You already have it on mmc. You can install 2007HE to flash and still boot OS2006 from card. You can also mount OS2006 system on card while booted from OS2007 in internal flash so you can copy some data to newer system later.
I will try out OS2007HE on the flash first, and see how things go. Are you also saying, if I put Os2007HE on the internal flash, I can still access my files that are on the MMC? Like my text files, or a few music files. (I probably have less than a dozen total files total since I've only had the 770 a short time.) I hadn't thought of that. If I can do that, then I would just copy those few files onto the internal flash, and then later clone that over to the MMC if I decide I like OS2007HE well enough.

True for internal flash but you have system on MMC, right? You won't lose that. You do lose bootmenu if you flash full .bin image but you can reinstall it later and get back to your system on mmc.
Yes, I do have the system on the MMC, so it's good to know that it won't be lost when I flash.

I'd recommend to have two linux partitions (i.e. three in total) on MMC and boot both OS2006 and 2007 from MMC. You can repartition your card even now without losing OS2006 on card but it is tricky for newbie. Or you can make backup of second partition, repartition card and restore backup back and then copy OS2007 from flash to third partition on card and boot both. Depends on you.
Hmmm, another interesting set of ideas to consider. I would consider either option, even if it took a little effort.

I think for now I will first proceed with getting OS207HE on the internal flash and leave my current OS2006 on the MMC. We'll see how that goes first.
If I like OS2007HE well enough, then I'll move on to the next step of having two linux partitions if I can find some instructions on that. (I haven't searched on that topic yet, but I will.)

Are you also saying, if I put Os2007HE on the internal flash, I can still access my files that are on the MMC? Like my text files, or a few music files. (I probably have less than a dozen total files total since I've only had the 770 a short time.) I hadn't thought of that.
Yes, you just need to mount it by hand in osso-xterm as root. Something like
Code:
sudo gainroot
mkdir /home/user/MyDocs/OS2006
mount -t ext2 -o noatime /dev/mmcblk0p2 /home/user/MyDocs/OS2006
could do it and you can see old files in File Manager in folder OS2006 inside Nokia770 item, just navigate further to home/user/MyDocs. Don't forget to unmount it
Code:
sudo gainroot
umount /home/user/MyDocs/OS2006
before rebooting or mount it via '-o ro' instead of '-o noatime' which will mount it read only so you don't need to care about unmounting.
If I like OS2007HE well enough, then I'll move on to the next step of having two linux partitions if I can find some instructions on that.
Just keep in mind that it is not fair to compare speed of systems on mmc and internal flash (especially with faster kernel). Hacker edition is in some ways faster but sometimes slower, it can be better when running from card.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

someone could help me ?
I had cloned os2006 on my mmc2 (with kernel 52Mhz multiblock) and boot from mmc2 ... it was all OK...

Today I flash the last OS2007HE, but now I have two problems:

os2007he random restart.... so this OS version isn't good for my usage...

I'm not able to boot the OS2006 on MMC again!!! where can I find a guide ( step-by step) to recover the boot menu (initfs from fanoush) and start os2006 again from mmc ?

AleAle
sorry for my poor english

It is still the same guide, perhaps you already did it before, start here
http://maemo.org/community/wiki/howt...15c04b78f89f74
and do only the "How to install a dual boot menu?" step

thanks fanoush

I follow your istruction

I have got this error
" !!! unknow initfs version osso-n770.2006-48 cannot install bootmenu
Cannot find initfs.bootmenu.jffs2, sonething failed, nothing flashed"

can you help me ?

Ale

extract initfs_flasher.tgz via tar directly on the tablet, do not run it from mmc card or copy extracted files over mmc. If you extracted directly on tablet and still have this problem, try to redownload from http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/initfs_flasher.tgz . osso-n770.2006-48 is supported and it should not print this message

Last edited by fanoush; 2007-12-22 at 16:47.

The Following User Says Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
thanks a lot fanoush!!

now I have dual boot working!!!!