Active Topics

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Announcement on Carlos' site: http://www.notacloud.com/blog/?p=27

Direct link: http://maemo.org/downloads/os2007_hacker_edition.php

"It’s less than alpha. No Q.A. was done on it and who knows what it might do. It should not brick your device but then again, we can’t be totally sure of that either."

and

"Multimedia is still quite broken, but there’s still hope."

You've been warned!

Edit: It's not a full FIASCO image, so it looks like you'll need to flash the individual components.

Installing OS 2007 hacker edition on 770 (full notes):

Note Flashable images are not available yet, we hope that we can release them during the next week.
  • Make sure that your device is running the latest official OS2006 release (we are not replacing all fiasco components, so the rest come from your old image).
  • We really recommend enabling R&D mode and disabling lifeguard reset while trying OS 2007 hacker edition. Otherwise you're likely to encounter reboot loop.
  • Install the provided kernel, initfs and rootfs images to your device using the flasher tool.

So, the steps could go as follows:
  • flasher -F SU-18_2006SE_2.2006.39-14_PR_F5_MR0_ARM.bin -f
  • flasher --enable-rd-mode --set-rd-flags=serial-console,no-lifeguard-reset
  • flasher -k zImage -n initfs.jffs2 -r rootfs.jffs2 -f

Known issues:
  • When the desktop comes up, everything seems to be frozen for 20 seconds. The same happens, if the esd crashes. Be patient
  • If you don't hear any sounds, and closing every program causes the same long freeze, try re-flashing the kernel. Your DSP haven't initialized properly and because of this esd is not working either. The reason for the freeze is discussed on this wiki page. It happened to me that I tried to flash the same image three times and sometimes it worked, sometimes not. You cannot see the difference on PC side, but if you have a serial console available, it gives you an error message.
  • osso-ias and osso-hss are currently not started (the first one segfaults and the later one doesn't initialize, currently working with that), so we don't have any touchscreen sounds and plugging a headset don't do a thing (well, kernel recognizes that).
  • Probably something more as well...
I guess it should be possible to create a FIASCO image by combining OS 2007/770 with the missing components extracted from an OS 2006 image.

Great.... Without multimedia capabilities, this new "release" is a non-starter for end users. It's really only useful for developers, as they now have a free way to write code that doesn't work on the 770, in case 99 euros is too much for them to buy their own N800. Is it ironic that this "release" actually hurts 770 users more than it helps them?

Oh well - at least "there's hope." Just not for an actual end user release.

I'm hopeful this is just the first cut, and there will be subsequent releases adding the missing features at which point it could be installed by users as well as developers. If (big if) that happens, then users have the choice to cut over to OS 2007 or stick with OS 2006.

Either way though, while this remains a "hackers only" version it still means developers face the choice: continue supporting 2006, support 2007, or both. If Nokia put more weight behind OS 2007 on 770, developers wouldn't have to make that choice. Lets hope OS 2007 on 770 turns out to be better/easier than Nokia thought and maybe they'll change their mind (I'm not going to hold my breath).

Does this mean we're now faced with _3_ possible source trees on their end and the public's end? the 06, 06+hacker, 07? oy. I'm hoping that the work done on the 06+hacker becomes the "continued support" of 06. Tho, reading through the log of trials just to get 07 running on the 770, it looks like there's indeed a lot of work ahead, esp. considering it looks like they're using an older version of 06 as the base.

I haven't looked at the versioned stuff of mistral in awhile, but there was a comment about patches to help fix things being welcomed. Where is the dividing line on what sources are available to us and what's only allowed within nokia's realm?

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Strip out Opera, googleTalk and all other proprietary components, and release the full source for 2005. See how quickly the community can take it beyond

I'm surprised there's been no 100% developer based distro released yet... Nokia has been pretty forthcoming with hardware specs etc haven't they?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I'm with you Hedgie. What are the technical holdups for such a thing?

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
No need for it yet?