Jolla uses Twitter and Facebook as tools of communication, and until now it was using Identica (which is now closing). They aren't present on open social networks like Diaspora though. Feel free to invite them there.

Last edited by shmerl; 2013-05-31 at 19:44.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
To be honest, why they don't just use their own website. Never understood why would anybody need to hide their PR behind a login-wall.

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I rather see them creating talk.sailfish.org.

EDIT: A cool twist could be that they sending a key code with the device so only users who has bought the device could create an account.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-05-31 at 19:33.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
I rather see them creating talk.sailfish.org.
I agree, but for whatever reason they don't want to open their forum. So since they stick to social networks (which is somewhat weird for a company), I at least invite them to use the open ones.

Last edited by shmerl; 2013-05-31 at 20:01.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 466 | Thanked: 335 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna, Austria
Talking about Jolla and open social networks (this is not quite what you guys mean, but it fits the thread title as well): I wonder if other platforms can be as tightly integrated into Sailfish as Twitter and Facebook already are. This "social networks are deeply integrated in our cool new platform" typically means there is support for this two and that's it. Nokia Belle has this "1-click-social-network-sharing-feature" (not this exact name, but similar) directly from the camera app, which to this day is Facbook only, and god forbid 3rd parties could extend feature to other platforms. No plugin-architecture like Maemo has (but unfortunately has been slowly decaying).
Now in Sailfish, Facebook is really tightly woven in there (by the looks of it on all those videos), and I'd really love for the same functionalities to work with all the open networks out there

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
To be honest, why they don't just use their own website. Never understood why would anybody need to hide their PR behind a login-wall.
Are you serious? How many times did you visiting Nokia homepage :O If Jolla were not on social media they would for sure die before even they had released the Alpha SDK.

In new bussiness you have to be on social media. Everything else is just plain stupidness. Only geeks visiting jolla.com.

But in case of what media they fokus should be were they first want to success in this case China: Does people here know what social media China uses?

I doubt it's facebook and twitter as first.

People here have to understand that world is bigger than just western countrys.

But if you want them to be on XXX social media. Send a message to @jollahq on twitter and give em a hint. They often answers questions there very fast.

But IMHO they are on many social media channels already. Just look at the icons on they'r homepage.

[Offtopic]
Thanks for tip about Diaspora registered myself as mike7b4
[/Offtopic]

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2013-06-08 at 13:08.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by bennypr0fane View Post
Talking about Jolla and open social networks (this is not quite what you guys mean, but it fits the thread title as well): I wonder if other platforms can be as tightly integrated into Sailfish as Twitter and Facebook already are. This "social networks are deeply integrated in our cool new platform" typically means there is support for this two and that's it. Nokia Belle has this "1-click-social-network-sharing-feature" (not this exact name, but similar) directly from the camera app, which to this day is Facbook only, and god forbid 3rd parties could extend feature to other platforms. No plugin-architecture like Maemo has (but unfortunately has been slowly decaying).
Now in Sailfish, Facebook is really tightly woven in there (by the looks of it on all those videos), and I'd really love for the same functionalities to work with all the open networks out there
I asked that questioon some weeks ago at @jollahq theyr answer is yes it is possible. I also checked here for some more hints about the actual API:

https://github.com/nemomobile

intresting parts:

nemo-plugin-* is probadly used in sailfish to...

The reason they say facebook/twitter integrated in west media is probadly because thats what we use here. Theyr probadly talk about Chinas social media in china.

Normal people doesnt care about if jolla has support for some open social media. Mainly because normal people dos not care about that (even if they should because of privacy concerns etc...)

Summary is yes it is possible with third party social media plugins

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
I asked that questioon some weeks ago at @jollahq theyr answer is yes it is possible. I also checked here for some more hints about the actual API:

https://github.com/nemomobile

intresting parts:

nemo-plugin-* is probadly used in sailfish to...

The reason they say facebook/twitter integrated in west media is probadly because thats what we use here. Theyr probadly talk about Chinas social media in china.

Normal people doesnt care about if jolla has support for some open social media. Mainly because normal people dos not care about that (even if they should because of privacy concerns etc...)

Summary is yes it is possible with third party social media plugins
Everything is possible with jailbroken iPhone too. I just don't get what is so unique about anything on Jolla.

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
Everything is possible with jailbroken iPhone too. I just don't get what is so unique about anything on Jolla.
So, can you install Android on your "jailbroken" iPhone? The damn thing remains a closed piece of hardware you may borrow from Apple at stupendous costs.

On topic: Jolla should not use current social media as primary communication channel. I understand the need for them to be present on those networks, or at least eventually. But as a company that for the time being aims at the more tech-inclined (and after all, those are the folks which will create the apps..) they should be aware that a large part of that group steers very clear of platforms as facebook, google and twitter.

But open, decentralized social media is an unfortunate mess currently. Yeah, there's diaspora. And appleseed and buddycloud and status.net and ... ,but they all interoperate quite poorly with each other, if at all. Perhaps they could pick one and try to kickstart it. Who knows.

Anyway, the primary communication channel should be their website with Atom/RSS feeds. Put a blog and forum on it (and use OpenID!)

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
Most of them are on IRC, the most geeky form of being social.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Morpog For This Useful Post: