Hi there

I just made my 3rd app for sailfish, im loving silica and whole sdk. But i was wondering...since sailfish will supposedly run android apps will it be worth it / profitable, as it was in google market, to develop apps for it ?

Thanks

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to norwat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 710 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Beirut, Lebanon
Can you explain what this app does maybe? And don't worry, it will be worth it. Even though we can sideload Android apps, your app will be more valuable to Sailfish OS. Since you made an original Sailfish app, it won't be useless And it will fill the market and make the OS become successful hopefully

Originally Posted by Dave999
I will vote AMD for president next time if I'm having any shares during next meeting.

Do good for a human being and like my art page!

The Following User Says Thank You to AMD For This Useful Post:
It surely will depend of what kind of application it is, and what will be available by default. But given that it's still a young not launched market - chances are big that most newcomers will be still unique.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by AMD View Post
Can you explain what this app does maybe? And don't worry, it will be worth it. Even though we can sideload Android apps, your app will be more valuable to Sailfish OS. Since you made an original Sailfish app, it won't be useless And it will fill the market and make the OS become successful hopefully
One is a rough port of stkeys a caffeine doser the last one is a irc bot i'll convert it latter to client if no one does it first. Its great to ear that! I'll hopefully start contributing more to this platform if my work allows it
thx

The Following User Says Thank You to norwat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by AMD View Post
I will not pay a penny for ANY Android app. However I will pay for apps written in Sailfish thats for sure. (open or closed)

So yes keep apps coming for sailfish. And I agree sailfishSDK is great.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 310 | Thanked: 202 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Ireland
I am a novice at best but one thing I love about my n900 is the community, support and to be able to communicate with developers directly. I was so excited to see Alien Dalvik demonstrated on the n900, only to have my hopes dashed when it never arrived. Sailfish was developed on the n950, a phone that only exists in most of our dreams. I have made 1 tiny program which without this forum, would not exist. My advice for the little it's worth is write programs for sailfish for passion and write it again for Android for profit. Hell, we all have to eat. I wish you all the best and hope you do well.

I have a nexus s but I love the fact that the first update to android is the n900.

By the way, you should all have The Tramps Treasure installed.

Your more than welcome to sell out, just let us in on it first.

Jo

The Following User Says Thank You to king Ralphred For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by norwat View Post
since sailfish will supposedly run android apps will it be worth it / profitable, as it was in google market, to develop apps for it ?
This is the sole reason, why running androshit apps might be worst decisions ever, if really made by sailfish team. Nothing could undermine development of native, nice programs, in favor of crappy java android "apps".

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
You can try other way around - write a Sailfish application which would have an adaptive mode for Qt Android (i.e. target both platforms). This should be a good exercise.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 273 | Thanked: 463 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Athens
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
This is the sole reason, why running androshit apps might be worst decisions ever, if really made by sailfish team. Nothing could undermine development of native, nice programs, in favor of crappy java android "apps".

/Estel
Weeeeeell I agree but also disagree with that. Cause IMO noone would take them seriously and the best case scenario would be N9like reviews "device is awesome but lacks apps so don't buy it". If people could run their angry birds and fruit ninjas and all the other crap in the play store then jolla could have a chance to expand to broader audience and as it does it should phase out the whole android emulation and really push native developing.

Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Originally Posted by Estel View Post

/Estel
hey bud nyc word (androsit):lol: i used it a lot man on othr 4ms