Posts: 87 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Italy
Dear Friends,

Unfortunately, just after installing a new theme for my beloved N800, the touch stopped working correctly. I am worried it is an hardware related problem. I have already flashed the device, just to notice, it is still working in an unpredictable way. Do you have any advices? It did not fall to the ground or anything... it became just barely sensible: in a way I can not work with. What is weird, the touch calibration works and I can complete it. What is even more strange, if I use the first 2007 image, i can tap successfully...

It is a sad moment: my beloved N800 has been with me for two and a half years. It has been a very useful gadget. I got at NY store, I was super excited! Later It went Canada and most Europe (I am a fresh grad student in law and EU studies).

Do you have any suggestions?

All the best,
Matyas

Toutes les informations utiles (pages encore en anglais) : Présentez-vous à la communauté , L'essentiel pour bien commencer, Débuter sur Maemo 4 (N800 - N810), Le Wiki sur Maemo 5 (N900), La FAQ, Le sous-forum dédié aux communautés

En cas de souci, n'hésitez pas à me poser vos questions!

----------------

Benvenuto! Se hai bisogno di aiuto, sono a disposizione.
Ecco dove iniziare (in inglese):

Presentazioni dei nuovi iscritti,Primi passi per nuovi iscritti, Wiki per chi inizia con Maemo 4 (N800 - N810), Wiki per chi inizia con Maemo 5 (N900), FAQ, Subforum della Comunità

In caso di dubbi o domande non esitare: contattami!

further testing reveals os2007 works and os2008 does not. It could be related to the way they record the touches. I could be a hardware problem but for me there is no n900 in sight at least for a while...

If you have any advices, they are more than welcome!

Toutes les informations utiles (pages encore en anglais) : Présentez-vous à la communauté , L'essentiel pour bien commencer, Débuter sur Maemo 4 (N800 - N810), Le Wiki sur Maemo 5 (N900), La FAQ, Le sous-forum dédié aux communautés

----------------

Presentazioni dei nuovi iscritti,Primi passi per nuovi iscritti, Wiki per chi inizia con Maemo 4 (N800 - N810), Wiki per chi inizia con Maemo 5 (N900), FAQ, Subforum della Comunità

why do you still think it is a hardware problem if os2007 works properly? Maybe the firmware file is corrupted? try to download and flash it again.

I hope you fix it soon.

The Following User Says Thank You to wahshe For This Useful Post:
Mmmm... It is really strange, but I point my finger to a malfunctioning screen. I tried the first release of os2008, it works, somehow, but a fresh image of the last release just fail.

I have to start looking for a used replacement...

Any tips or advice is still very welcome

----------------

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Is there a screen protector on your screen? If not applied correctly they can put pressure on the screen and confuse the touch screen. SImilarly this could happen if dirt inside the bezel puts pressure on the screen.

The Following User Says Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
I'm not sure what the problem is, but one thing I try whenever I have weird problems with hardware, is make sure it has totally been turned off. In the case of the n800, turn it off, remove any sd cards from both the internal and external slot, and then remove the battery, and leave the battery out for a few minutes. Then put the battery (but not the sd cards) back in and try again.

You might have already done this, so ignore if you have. The one time I was having strange behavior on the n800, this did the trick, even though I had rebooted multiple times before and also flashed.

The Following User Says Thank You to pataphysician For This Useful Post:
Posts: 275 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Raleigh, NC
I've also read where bits of debris between the bezel and screen have caused problems.

The Following User Says Thank You to mfortner For This Useful Post:
Thank you! the advices were very appreciated.
I cleaned the scree very carefully, flashed the devices many times with different versions of the os and kept it without the battery nor the sd cards. I use no scree protector.

Now it does work, but when the screen dims and goes in sleep moded for a prolonged time, it stops again. still, I think it could be hardware related, but there is a little hope.

Anyone having experienced the same with their N800??

All the best,
Matyas

----------------

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
Had my N800 since March of 2007 and it's suffered a long, tough life. At various points I've noticed the sensitivity of the touchscreen decrease (especially when the unit gets warm). My situation might be different than yours, but something to think about is whether something might be trapped under the faceplate at the edge of the screen. Also, and I don't know why this helps, sometimes when the screen stops becoming responsive, if I squeeze the device firmly it seems to improve and that improvement seems to last for at least a couple months each time I do it. (I squeeze the top (the side with the zoom and fullscreen buttons) and bottom together.) Though it's possible your problem is totally different, and if you crush your tablet in a death grip don't blame me. Hope your tablet ends up ok.

-John

The Following User Says Thank You to Johnx For This Useful Post:
Open the device and reseat the connectors ... if you know how to do it - they are easily damaged. This might work especially if squeezing helps

The Following User Says Thank You to icebox For This Useful Post:

Tags
n800 problem touchscreen