Hi everyone, I am a recent convert to the N800 from the iPhone/iPod touch world and I have a question about memory in my device. I have the N800 and I bought a 16GB SDHC card for it I am using in the internal slot. However I am showing that I only have under 200mb of space left on the internal for installing applications? Can I set the applications to install to the external card? Sorry if this has been answered but I couldn't find a simple answer anywhere and yes I did use Google, alot.
Thanks in advance and I look forward to using this forum!

Have a search for 'cloning to mmc', 'booting from mmc', or 'multi-boot'.
It'll give you lots of space to put apps on, and you'll have a backup partition for when things go wrong.

The Following User Says Thank You to codeMonkey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 398 | Thanked: 301 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Texas
See how to boot from the 16GB SDHC.

Frank

The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Banul For This Useful Post:
I hope this wouldnot be the case with N900?

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Apparently things will be more straightforward on N900.

The N900 looks amazin!

Ok Sorry if I sound like a newbie, but well, I am.

I followed the steps and I was sucessful but I wanted to go back and instead of using only part of the card like the tutorial said, use the whole thing as an ext2 for all my applications and such. Well the problem that I am having is that I formatted the whole thing as ext2 on my computer but when I go to run the clone commands and such I can't. It says it does not exist because it is trying to install on partition 2. I want it to install on partition one...is this possible? Below are the steps and as you can see it wants to use partition 2. Why would you want to do that instead of just making the whole card available to your device? Thanks guys!

0 - Create ext2 filesystem on partition 2 of the Internal memory card
1 - Mount partition 2 as /opt
2 - Mount rootfs as /floppy
3 - Perform cloning process
4 - Commit filesystem updates and unmount /floppy and /opt

Last edited by danny670; 2009-09-19 at 03:25. Reason: Grammar haha

I think I got it all worked out. The only problem I have is now that I have done this my removable card does not work on boot unless I eject it and re-insert it? Also, the performance is waaay down....is this normal?
Daniel

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by danny670 View Post
I think I got it all worked out. The only problem I have is now that I have done this my removable card does not work on boot unless I eject it and re-insert it?
you may have hit known bug, flashing fixed kernel fixes this

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...251#post264251
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2747

Also, the performance is waaay down....is this normal?
Mostly it is faster or same. Right after boot or when you insert card the metalayer-crawler indexes cards for media and this is slow in general and can be much slower when system is on card (since system is both reading and writing same card at the same time). Once it is done it should be OK. Search this forum for metalayer-crawler, some people even disable it completely since it can be a pain.

osso-statusbar-cpu is good applet to have in status bar to see high cpu and I/O usage

Why would you want to do that instead of just making the whole card available to your device?
having first partition as FAT can be easier for windows USB connectivity and also does not confuse Maemo system so much - first card partition is seen in File manager as storage card, it is automatically mounted to /media/mmcX, can have virtual memory configured in Control panel, ....

Maybe when using one partition over whole card metalayer-crawler may be confused and indexes the card twice (once for / and once for /media/mmcX) so it is even slower?

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Posts: 73 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ NJ, USA
Originally Posted by somedude View Post
I hope this wouldnot be the case with N900?
One of the first previews says the N900 has this same problem. Quoted mid-way down in my article here: http://www.farbot.com/node/4486