Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by krbvroc1 View Post
Is there anyway to launch/listen to podcast vis the RSS reader? Can it stream versus downloading? Will it work over upnp/cifs?

I'm trying to listen to podcasts that I download (via bashpodder) to my central media server. The N800 sees the files via UPNP but I get no descriptions or dates or anything. I'm thinking of publishing a local RSS feed on that server but would like a way to stream them. I would also like a way to queue them up? Is this even possible with the N800?
I don't know if it supports UPNP. I use the RSS feed reader for podcasts as well. If you want to stream the podcast, just click on the name of the podcast or the little sound icon at the bottom of the post next to the filesize. If you want to download it, hold down the stylus on the sound icon and select Save File To or something similar.

How can I select the PODcast and select 'enqueue' so I can queue several items rather than play them one at a time?

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Download them all and then create a playlist with them one after the other.

That would be possible, but its not what I'm trying to accomplish. I dont want to download anything locally. I want to stream the MP3s from my media server. I basically want a playlists of items to stream.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by jazzbass12 View Post
I have to clear the cache every few day on this one. It opens, then closes immediatly untill I clear it out. Very annoying....Is anyone else exeriencing this?
When it next happens, please post your RSS cache directory as an attachment to bug #2535.

The RSS feed reader is better in OS 2008 - mainly the page scrolling is much improved - but it's a bad sign that it keeps crashing whenever it has to process a malformed RSS feed, this suggests poor coding and error handling. I had read in another bug that the RSS feed reader app was due a complete rewrite, I'm guessing that is still to happen.

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Portugal
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
The built-in RSS feed reader is better in OS2008.
Hi,

You said that in OS2008 the built-in RSS reader was better...
I upgraded yesterday my Nokia N800 to OS2008 and, I can't see so much improved settings on the built-in RSS reader.
Is there any good third-party RSS reader to OS2008, excluding Claws plugin?

Thanks.

Posts: 121 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Amsterdam
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
The built-in RSS feed reader is better in OS2008.

RSS reader displaying wrong characters ? .

I am using the RSS reader since July (OS2007). Use now 23 feeds with at this moment 153 posts. No problems. Pod- and Vodcasts included. OS 2008 scrolls nicely the newest posts.

I Like the tool and do not need anything else.

However some characters, mostly French texts are not displayed well. See the attached screenshot.

Am I the only one ?

Is this an RSS or an OS 2008 problem? My language and country settings are Netherlands. Can I do something about it or should I report to Bugzilla.

Abel.
Attached Images

Last edited by AbelMN; 2007-12-30 at 11:22.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by AbelMN View Post
Is this an RSS or an OS 2008 problem? My language and country settings are Netherlands. Can I do something about it or should I report to Bugzilla.

Abel.
It's bug #2454 and is specific to OS 2008 - please add your screenshot as an attachment to the bug with details of the feed if possible.

Basically, the RSS applet fails to parse HTML entities that are present in feeds - AT&T for example will show up as AT&T. Non-English languages as you've discovered will show even more problems.

The Following User Says Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by AbelMN View Post
[CENTER]

I am using the RSS reader since July (OS2007). Use now 23 feeds with at this moment 153 posts. No problems. Pod- and Vodcasts included. OS 2008 scrolls nicely the newest posts.

I Like the tool and do not need anything else.
I didn't understand one thing about the built in rss reader: what elements it delete? (read elements? not read? old? )
Thanks
Luke

Posts: 367 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Brooklyn, NY
I have a problem with the built in rss reader recently. it used to work fine but now, it doesn't open. It shuts off right when it is about to start.