The SSU upgrade to 4.2008.36-5 went through and the N800 tablet still works. So I guess I should consider myself lucky.

But when I start Application Manager and check for updates, the SSU 4.2008.36-5 still shows up.

It's info page shows the following:

Installed Version: 1:4.2008.36-5
Available Version: 1:4.2008.36-5
Download size: 0 kb

If I try to install the SSU again then after a few seconds I get the message that Application Manager was unable to install this update.

Does anybody know what is going on here?

post log from application manager tools->log here.

Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
The SSU didn't finished installing, and yes, you are lucky.

The update contains a documentation package. This package causes a lot of trouble, because it fails if the user has moved, removed or linked the documentation files:
It fails if there is no files in "/usr/share/pre-installed/MyDocs/.documents/". Create that directory and touch or put a file there if you have that deleted.
It fails if the "/home/user/MyDocs/.documents/osso_software_copyright.pdf" file is a symlink
It fails if the "/home/user/MyDocs/.documents/~sfil_li_folder_user_guides/" directory is a symlink or is empty. Make sure you have an actual directory with any file there.

In a xterm, as root, do
apt-get -f install
If you get errors related to /etc/rc2.d symlinks, download the invoke-rc.d from this post
http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=229093&postcount=304

replace your /usr/sbin/invoke-rc.d with it, "chmod +x /usr/sbin/invoke-rc.d", and try again.
If you are lucky everything will work. If not, as long as you do not reboot, it will still be possible to fix it by hand.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maacruz For This Useful Post:
Thanks a million, maacruz :-)

Your tips brought me on the right track.

The reason the SSU was broken was that I had previously created a symlink in /home/user/MyDocs to a directory on the external memory card.

After deleting that link 'apt-get -f install' finally completed successfully.

Jesus, what is wrong with creating a symlink in my MyDocs directory?

Not to mention the trouble with Modest, which eats so much CPU/battery that I always have to shut down the N800 to prevent the battery from becoming depleted.

All this hassle made me buy an iPod touch, which is a real joy to use compared to the N800 after it was hacked kaputt by Nokia's Diablo + SSU.

Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
Originally Posted by kasimir View Post
Jesus, what is wrong with creating a symlink in my MyDocs directory?
Nothing, but some really inexpert developer in Nokia thought it was a good idea to make a deb which does things in user territory.
That, and some inexpert manager who thinks that making an update with 30+ packages is a good idea.

Not to mention the trouble with Modest, which eats so much CPU/battery that I always have to shut down the N800 to prevent the battery from becoming depleted.

All this hassle made me buy an iPod touch, which is a real joy to use compared to the N800 after it was hacked kaputt by Nokia's Diablo + SSU.
It is a pity that some of the sofware in the NIT is not good enough (mostly Nokia propietary stuff). It is also a pity the lack of drivers and specs for much of the hardware. But the ipod will never have the openness of the NITs, and for me that is the biggest value.
Run openoffice in the ipod? Ha!

i just flashed due4 to some boot loop i got stuck in, im not sure wtf happened but it wouldnt boot so i just flashed it and 36 - 5 was the rom i got, seems ok but i only restored limited stuff from my backup then just rebuilt it by hand this time, mostly for kicks but also seemed like a good idea after a few upgrades w/ full restores to get a fresh start.

the point of all that ramble was to say all seems good here, so far

bhang