*Bad Architecture for mobile
*Heat SINK needed
*Crashes
*Slow
*HD ready? rec and enc

I prefer ARM CPU instead.. DUAL CORES!!! MMMMmmm
hi,
where's your references?
While multithreaded performance on a dual Cortex A9 at 1GHz approaches that of a 1.2GHz Moorestown, nothing can touch the 1.5GHz part. Single threaded performance is just as impressive.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3696/i...e-processor/14
and we're getting something better than this, probably. assuming the n9 is based on the 'reference platform' which we just confirmed to be running at 1.6ghz.

The Following User Says Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Rumor: N9 to have 1.2Ghz Atom

is this positive say I dont like this...before...

Posts: 194 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Sydney, Australia
There seem to be a lot of people here basing their perception of the Atom on its current use in netbooks. Not only are these now previous-generation architectures, but they're running Windows 7 in most instances. It makes no sense to assume the performance of current-gen Atom netbooks will have any bearing on the performance of Moorestown if it is used in the N9.

Moreover, why does having two cores automatically make people assume ARM > Intel. Things like clock speed, number of cores etc. only matter in relation to other CPUs of the same arcitecture that have or do not have these features. They have no bearing on how Moorestown will compare to Tegra 2, etc.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to keflex For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
If Nokia pulls this off... I actually might buy it. Why? Because it's gonna piss off the hardcore Nokia fans.

Seriously... would an Intel chip be so much of a problem?

Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
I don't care what CPU is in it as long as it works.

The Following User Says Thank You to stlpaul For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
Why would it piss off the hardcore Nokia fans? It's not like most people actually have any clue about what CPU is in their phone.
Although it seems the most clueless people are the ones with the strongest opinions, I think that's just a temporary problem due to the fact it is completely unproven architecture. I'm actually having trouble figuring out what is going on with that, I can only find 2-3 "phones" using it and none were ever released publicly, just some prototype / development devices. I would assume it's not that great and therefore skipped over, but upon doing some research I conclude that Intel wanted a proper OS and was delayed as Moblin merged with Maemo, so they were able to take some time and get Medfield ready meanwhile...

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by buchanmilne View Post
But, none of that necessarily has anything to do with what Meego handset Nokia will be launching (which will most likely be ARM-based).
It would make perfect sense that nokia switches to intel. First of all, delaying first meego device (maybe) to approximately same dates when intels new chips should be available... after the first news about this yesterday, at least I thought that it actually is the missing piece of a puzzle you even didn't know exists...

it would be a good comeback to nokia PR wise if their HW would be fastest available at the moment with similar battery life compared to other devices...

personally I don't care what architechture a device uses. and I bet meego as an os feels the same....
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 307 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Illinois, USA
As long as I can dual boot Windows 7 on it, I'll be happy.

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
Hardware rumours are so boring nowadays, as the hardware is not really relevant anymore since a few years. It's all about apps and software ecosystems.
That's the reason while Nokia is struggling so hard these days, to make that switch.

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to twaelti For This Useful Post:
All i want to know is if the n9 going to have a keyboard or not because i would like the option to use one.