Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by on3st4b View Post
@ etuoyo
i bought my N900 18th december 2009 and had no problem at all .
as far as i can tell my usb is still in place , i understand ur frostration bout your N900 & the delay of nokia in delivering you a new N900 , but that doesnt make it a rule . u had a faulty one you'll get a new one hopefully .

for the iphone the way i see it , the n900 and the iphone are both great phones , i LOVE the way iphone4 looks , i like the simplicity of UI but i dont want to own one . let me put it this way , if i was going to buy a device today i would buy me an N900 , if i was going to buy my girlfriend a device i whould get her an iphone4 , simple as that .

same more or less with the OS frontier u started ..
it all comes to WHAT you want to do and How you want to do it ..
although i like linux and all the freedom it offers , the list of application available , the device support etc i hate it cause it doesnt support games , or let me put it right GAMES do not have support for linux , so i have to have windows installed in some other partition .. which makes me think why have 2 OS's installed when i can just have windows and do what i want to do .
Soon Wine will have support for Directx11 and i would recommend you to try Playonlinux (is in the repo).. but you are right. When it comes to games on linux you can not be in a hurry. A lot works but not the latest ones.

Make your desktop look awesome - use the AwOken Theme with the AwOken Icon Theme.

Add me on twitter @almehdin
Visit the swedish maemo/meego community forums

Originally Posted by buchanmilne View Post
s/of/have/g

Please use a verb in clauses, instead a homophonic (due to lazy pronunciation by many people) preposition.
Would it have pleased you more if s/he had said, "woulda, coulda shoulda"?

And BTW, what does that "s/of/have/g" mean? Is that some sort of European annotation, perhaps?

Originally Posted by oldpmaguy View Post
And BTW, what does that "s/of/have/g" mean? Is that some sort of European annotation, perhaps?
It's American, but if you have to ask...

Oh, I see, those are abbreviations of words seperated by slashes. An odd form of annotation, I've never seen or used it before, myself. (I'm US American, BTW).

So if what was meant by that was "should of have gotten", then it's still incorrect. There is no "of" in that expression; people who say or write "of" are slurring the "have". It is only, "should have gotten" (or in that abbreviation style, "s/have/g").

It is a string substitution command used in ed, sed, vi, perl, and likely other utilities.

Substitute have for of, the g means globally. That is all "of" on the line are changed to "have". Without the g, only the first "of" in the line.

The Following User Says Thank You to j.s For This Useful Post:
Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
Originally Posted by timwatt View Post
My typical "wow thats impressive" day throws in using the camera for an audit and the GPS to get there and recall to take meting notes.
the moment of utter despairer come in with the 3-4 hour battery life.
That might be "my" fault. Recaller by default uses AAC recording which is very CPU (and therefore battery) intensive. You might want to try encoding in WAV or FLAC (change in the settings), might save some battery (no scientific tests available) at the price of more storage needed.

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

Originally Posted by j.s View Post
It is a string substitution command used in ed, sed, vi, perl, and likely other utilities.

Substitute have for of, the g means globally. That is all "of" on the line are changed to "have". Without the g, only the first "of" in the line.
Ah, I see. Thanks for the explanation! So there was no error in that poster's comment, all the better.

Originally Posted by mmr View Post
A thought just occured to me, Ive just finished a typical day with my n900. A couple of skype video calls, recieved a few SIP calls with multiple providers, downloaded a film from thepiratebay using transmission and watched it on the multi codec built in media player, downloaded a book from irc and read that on fbreader. Can you imagine a Steve Jobs-style-Nokian with a N900 and why oh why dont they tell peeps what their phones can do?
No, I can't imagine being able to pirate both a movie *and* a book on an iPhone/iPad/iPod touch in the same day. I can't imagine why that's not in the Nokia sales pitch for these things.

I could see legally downloading (and paying for, if commercial) movies, video podcasts, and tv shows via itunes, legally streaming movies and TV shows via netflix movies, and reading hundreds of thousands of books via the kindle app on an iOS device, so we do have some problems there feature wise, if we're going to stay on the legal side of the street. For all but us techies, being able to do that is a lot more of a win.

Don't get me wrong, I am really excited about meego - it's the way to go platform-wise, and it has the potential to be better than both android and iOS. But it's GOT to be at least in the ballpark of drop dead simple to use as iOS. Because 99.99% of the people aren't going to screw around with their devices to just get stuff they want when they want it. They'll gladly give up bittorrent to be able to watch a netflix movie, or read a book, or any of a thousand other things it's POSSIBLE to do on an n900, but simple to do in iOS and/or android. Even if its somewhat limited/constrained - not being able to figure out how to do something is even more constraining to most people.

But yeah... it's great you can do all that.