Notices

Posts: 80 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Mableton, GA USA
I have a Nokia 770 running OS2006, and the first is running a pile of applications and utilities including Maemo Mapper 2.4.1 along with my AMOD ABG-108 bluetooth GPS.

It all works just great. But I wanted to create a backup system in case my primary goes FUBAR, and since my wife just got a new laptop she let me have her 770.

Now I have two! :-)

So... I've been trying to recreate the same set of basic apps on the second 770, and I've managed to get almost everything to work (a few dozen apps and utils including the latest Garnet, Minimo, Xterm+mc, FBReader, OMWeather, bluetooth driver, etc.) except for the current incarnation of Maemo Mapper, namely 2.6.2.

That version of MM will certainly install and run. Viewing the map repositories I already have saved on a 1GB memory card in the old format works correctly, and I installed the bluetooth driver and it sees and connects to my GPS no problem.

The issue I'm having is with Maemo Mappper 2.6.2 using the bluetooth GPS, or even letting me perform a bluetooth scan. It won't. And from reading threads here, it's a pain in the butt to configure it to do so (installing various libraries and whatnot) on a 770. My tablet doesn't have a My Location control panel, etc. And I have no interest in upgrading the OS a working system just to please a single app. OS2006 works fine with MM on my other tablet. Same config.

Where can I find a copy of 2.4.1 or 2.4.2 in an easy-to-install form? A .deb for the base package is available on the Maemo Mapper site, but installation fails citing several dependencies (which I can provide once I have access to a Wifi later this evening), and while 2.6.2 is pretty and all, the fact that it seems to fail on 770's running OS2006 is a bit of a downer for me. I may be able to hunt things down, but I'd be a little surprised that the installation files for the old versions are not available somewhere...?

Just curious if anyone knows an easy answer, or if I actually have to meander through the convoluted set of steps described elsewhere in this forum (and which may or may not work for the 770 .. many people seem to have issues even given those instructions).

Thanks!

Pull it from the historical archives in Garage.

https://garage.maemo.org/frs/?group_id=29

The Following User Says Thank You to cecil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 178 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Ireland
Originally Posted by cecil View Post

Yeah, had the same issue as the OP and have just installed version 2.4.1 from garage.
However to get it to install it was first necessary to do an apt-get install from the terminal for each of the following:

libconic0
libgdbm3
libgpsmgr
libsqlite3-0

Some of these will report an error about being unable to find a conf file. Not sure what that's about but they still finish ok.
After that MM installs ok and the bluetooth connects fine.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fionn For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by cecil View Post

Yup, that's where I obtained the copy of 2.4.1 that didn't install before. But thanks for providing a pointer for future readers.

Originally Posted by Fionn View Post
Yeah, had the same issue as the OP and have just installed version 2.4.1 from garage.
However to get it to install it was first necessary to do an apt-get install from the terminal for each of the following:

libconic0
libgdbm3
libgpsmgr
libsqlite3-0

Some of these will report an error about being unable to find a conf file. Not sure what that's about but they still finish ok.
After that MM installs ok and the bluetooth connects fine.
Did the above, and it works fine now. Duh. It's been so long since I've used apt-get that I didn't even think to play with it.

In any case, I now have 2.4.1 installed and working on the new tablet. Thank you!