Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
the powers of the Vipera Berus are good hearing, keen sense of smell and of course the powerful venom it uses for hunting and defence.
There are 3 different kinds of snakes in Finland, of which only one is mildly poisonous (the very one I captured above)
Hmm... something does not quite add up here. If only I could put my finger on it...

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Hmm... something does not quite add up here. If only I could put my finger on it...
The use of powerful here is subjective. It's pretty mild when adminstred to a huge[1] animal like the "third chimp", yours truly, but very effective on the intended prey of the viper

[1] Contrary to what some people mistakenly believe humans are among the top fraction of percentile of animal size, there are just a handful of species that are larger in mass compared to the tens of thousands that are way teenier... go figure?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
They are actually quite common here. There are 3 different kinds of snakes in Finland, of which only one is mildly poisonous (the very one I captured above)
How close did you get?
Looks like ~1m, while the snake seems to have noticed you and is moving toward you. I don't think I'd've had the guts to do take that picture.

The other two are much rarer, I have only ever seen each of the non-poisonous snakes once in the wild.
Is rantakäärme (beach snake) one of them? I'm pretty sure we have seen them a few times in Helsinki/Lauttasaari, both in the water and on the beach.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nonsuch For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by nonsuch View Post
How close did you get?
Looks like ~1m, while the snake seems to have noticed you and is moving toward you. I don't think I'd've had the guts to do take that picture.
I went down on my knees and maybe about 70cm towards the snake. (this variety by the way is called "Kyy" in Finnish)

It would have been easier but I was on my daily run and I had my dog with me which I held by a very short leash behind my back with one hand while trying to get a good shot with the other hand. All the while Dora the dog was trying to nose up closer to the snake barking... difficult. I think the poor viper was really disturbed by us and I tried to make it quick in order not to shock her too much.

Kyys are really very peaceful and nice animals, so I had no need to fear her really... if one bites you it sure stings like hell but is no concern really; last summer I was stung by a wasp in my eye and boy that one hurt for a long time!

Originally Posted by nonsuch View Post
Is rantakäärme (beach snake) one of them? I'm pretty sure we have seen them a few times in Helsinki/Lauttasaari, both in the water and on the beach.
Yes, the other varieties are Rantakäärme and Tarhakäärme; both are more rare than Kyykäärme and non-poisonous. Very easy to tell apart from each other too, however many people don't know the difference but try to kill "the horrible snakes".
In reality all snakes are protected and should not be harrassed but people just fear them out of no reason, some even dislike Sisilisko which are really beautiful small lizards.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 87 | Thanked: 458 times | Joined on Oct 2017 @ Finland
Yes, the other varieties are Rantakäärme and Tarhakäärme; both are more rare than Kyykäärme and non-poisonous. Very easy to tell apart from each other too, however many people don't know the difference but try to kill "the horrible snakes".
In reality all snakes are protected and should not be harrassed but people just fear them out of no reason, some even dislike Sisilisko which are really beautiful small lizards.
Tarhakäärme is another name for rantakäärme, usually easy to recognise from the yellow marks at the neck. While adders can have a varying colouring with a clear zigzag pattern to completely black. They can also often be seen swimming.
The third one is kangaskäärme, who only live in Ahvenanmaa/Åland, not in mainland Finland.
And some might think that vaskitsa or copper snake (slowworm) is a snake because it looks like one, but it's a lizard without legs.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Pentona For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Pentona View Post
Tarhakäärme is another name for rantakäärme, usually easy to recognise from the yellow marks at the neck. While adders can have a varying colouring with a clear zigzag pattern to completely black. They can also often be seen swimming.
The third one is kangaskäärme, who only live in Ahvenanmaa/Åland, not in mainland Finland.
And some might think that vaskitsa or copper snake (slowworm) is a snake because it looks like one, but it's a lizard without legs.
Thanks for correcting me!

I mis-remembered the Kangaskäärme, mainly as it is so rare and does not live on mainland at all. Now as I checked it, indeed Rantakäärme used to be called Tarhakäärme but in fact they are the same species.

Really nice article in wikipedia I ran across, in the olden times in Finland people used to have tame snakes of the Tarhakäärme variety on farms, to keep the rodents away. They were fed and cared for and even lived in animal shelters and inside farmhouses!
translation of the article

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
I should have had the Superpower of these guys. I think they never drop a phone. The Screen of my Pro¹ is now unfortunately damaged . I hope to get a spare one.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
I'm back in business. Changed to a working N900 with camera! Still some configuring to do and have been messing with updates and repositories which vanish or change to unusable and then trying to figure how to get them working again. Not a single time have I managed to do all right on the first time. In these couple of years flashed about 30 times.But now almost done again. Have to take a picture soon.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 256 | Thanked: 939 times | Joined on Jun 2014 @ Finland
The use of powerful here is subjective. It's pretty mild when adminstred to a huge[1] animal like the "third chimp", yours truly, but very effective on the intended prey of the viper

[1] Contrary to what some people mistakenly believe humans are among the top fraction of percentile of animal size, there are just a handful of species that are larger in mass compared to the tens of thousands that are way teenier... go figure?
As a child, I always thought that viper bite would be roughly the same as bee sting. Nowadays I work as an nurse on ICU, and I have seen some patients due to viper bites. While it really is really uncommon to die because of viper bite, it still can cause massive swelling, moderate pain and even symptoms of hypovolemic shock which sometimes need ICU treatment. So I have been quite surprised on how serious it may be.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Koiruus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 362 | Thanked: 1,373 times | Joined on Nov 2015 @ Sweden
This is my definition of "superpowers". You put a one year old potato in the dirt and three weeks later you got this. Another 4-6 weeks, you will have an excellent meal from those plants.
Xperia X, Sailfish stock photo app, no editing.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to eson For This Useful Post:

Tags
camera, competition